Renewal Extensions

John Q Public

I don't know if this has been covered, but with all the closings, they need to look at giving a 3 month extension for all FOID and CCL renewals. I know you don't need a class for FOID, but it takes them forever anyway.

Most CCL classes are either closing down or limiting to 9 students, it would make sense. Also, a high percentage of my students are seniors and they shouldn't have to worry about taking a class and being put at risk, or be put at risk because of an expiring card.

Thoughts?

So then we have 90 days before expire with the current button and then 90 days after expire, so a six month window?

Think about what the states reply will be. You cry about us taking too long to process and now you want a longer time to submit

We all want a better system, but coming at the ISP with a lengthening request and THEY take longer and longer to process would seem to somehow play directly into their hands!

Just putting that out there.

The renewal can happen 6 months or more out, then 3 months as the button appears. And now a 3 month extension!

One full year out to get a renewal class and apply.

I get it that I wont be the popular post, but if the crisis extends into the end of this year or longer, allow expired cards to just go an additional 12 months?

When do we say its safe to take a class?

And the renewal certs dont expire either do they?

Slippery slope........

Or at least, allow folks to register for FOID renewals early, so they are in the cue and they can better forecast the backlog and work load. This nonsense where you get blocked from renewing until 90 days out, when they are running that long or longer, is about a dumb as it gets. That's without even adding the effects of the Virus now.

I mean jeez, if you just went through the CCL retraining, and got your CCL renewal in the 1st quarter, why the heck would they send a new FOID that expires in 6 months? Just add the fee and renew that too for Pete's sake. No, instead they do double the work, and make it twice as painful for us.

Idiots.

Ya, that's not why I started this thread, and it applies now more then when posted... CCL classes have now been banned by the executive, so here we are, and anyone teaching a class is in violation of an executive order... I don't want to get into the penalties, nor if they are enforceable, or defiance, but suffice it to say since we have been ordered not to teach classes, how can you expire a permit when there is no legal way to take a class...?

The bottom line is you can't have it both ways. You either allow classes, or you extend at least by the amount of time that you are prevented from having classes.

Of course this is Il and the courts would obviously rule against my undeniable logic...

The needs of the one, or few outweigh the needs many.

Hey, I have an idea... let's just post a sign... and we can all get back to our lives!

Coronavirus-1620x1080.png

~Sigh~

Ya, that's not why I started this thread, and it applies now more then when posted... CCL classes have now been banned by the executive, so here we are, and anyone teaching a class is in violation of an executive order... I don't want to get into the penalties, nor if they are enforceable, or defiance, but suffice it to say since we have been ordered not to teach classes, how can you expire a permit when there is no legal way to take a class...?

The bottom line is you can't have it both ways. You either allow classes, or you extend at least by the amount of time that you are prevented from having classes.

Of course this is Il and the courts would obviously rule against my undeniable logic...

The needs of the one, or few outweigh the needs many.

Hey, I have an idea... let's just post a sign... and we can all get back to our lives!

Coronavirus-1620x1080.png

~Sigh~

They could also allow us to take it remotely over the internet like over a Webex and wave the live fire qualification part during the shelter in place. Of course that may make to much sense, so probably not going to happen.

I'm wondering why it takes so long to get a CC renewed ? To get one in the first place , they do a thorough background check, in some/most cases they have your fingerprints. So when you renew, all they should have to do is check to see if you've done any crimes, etc. and they can do that in few minutes and if nothing shows up your CC/Foid permit should be issued immediately. Heck when they stop you they can bring up your records in a flash. Should be able to do it the same way for this.

Decatur, IL…With Illinoisans encouraged to practice social distancing to combat the spread of the coronavirus, law-abiding gun owners may find it more difficult to renew their Firearm Owner’s Identification Card (FOID) and Concealed Carry License (CCL). State Representative Dan Caulkins (R-Decatur) is urging the State Police to implement “emergency rules” to extend the expiration deadlines until further notice for FOID and CCL holders similar to the actions taken by the Secretary of State when he extended the expiration of Illinois driver’s licenses.

“Given the circumstances we are faced with today, I am urging the State Police to extend the expiration dates for FOID and CCL until further notice,” said Rep. Caulkins. “With the state and federal government advising residents to stay home to help slow the spread of the coronavirus, some law-abiding gun owners will find it difficult to attend a mandatory face-to-face CCL renewal course as a result of social distancing. Same goes for individuals with no internet, they will have a difficult time locating a library that is open in order to complete the FOID application online. Extending the expiration deadline for FOID and CCL will also give State Police more time to catch up on their renewal backlog.”

ISP is currently operating under a three-month delay to renew a FOID and CCL. To make matters worse, the Illinois State Police Firearms Service Bureau is swamped with nearly 20,000 firearm purchases and/or firearm transfer requests.

Rep. Caulkins added, “The fact of the matter is, the state requires a three-hour in-person course to renew a CCL which generally includes a large group of people. At this time, we shouldn’t expect our most vulnerable to put themselves at risk just to renew their CCL. The goal of this emergency rule is to protect the well-being of our law-abiding gun owners and ensure our citizens may continue to legally exercise their right to bear arms. This is also critical just in case ISP were to stop renewing licenses if they choose to shift resources elsewhere to help mitigate the spread of COVID-19.”

Decatur, IL…With Illinoisans encouraged to practice social distancing to combat the spread of the coronavirus, law-abiding gun owners may find it more difficult to renew their Firearm Owner’s Identification Card (FOID) and Concealed Carry License (CCL). State Representative Dan Caulkins (R-Decatur) is urging the State Police to implement “emergency rules” to extend the expiration deadlines until further notice for FOID and CCL holders similar to the actions taken by the Secretary of State when he extended the expiration of Illinois driver’s licenses.

“Given the circumstances we are faced with today, I am urging the State Police to extend the expiration dates for FOID and CCL until further notice,” said Rep. Caulkins. “With the state and federal government advising residents to stay home to help slow the spread of the coronavirus, some law-abiding gun owners will find it difficult to attend a mandatory face-to-face CCL renewal course as a result of social distancing. Same goes for individuals with no internet, they will have a difficult time locating a library that is open in order to complete the FOID application online. Extending the expiration deadline for FOID and CCL will also give State Police more time to catch up on their renewal backlog.”

ISP is currently operating under a three-month delay to renew a FOID and CCL. To make matters worse, the Illinois State Police Firearms Service Bureau is swamped with nearly 20,000 firearm purchases and/or firearm transfer requests.

Rep. Caulkins added, “The fact of the matter is, the state requires a three-hour in-person course to renew a CCL which generally includes a large group of people. At this time, we shouldn’t expect our most vulnerable to put themselves at risk just to renew their CCL. The goal of this emergency rule is to protect the well-being of our law-abiding gun owners and ensure our citizens may continue to legally exercise their right to bear arms. This is also critical just in case ISP were to stop renewing licenses if they choose to shift resources elsewhere to help mitigate the spread of COVID-19.”

Here's a novel idea, wave the 3 hour training and allow current ccl holders to just get a cert from an instructor and turn it in!

Current ccl holders already know how to hit the target, and they are already practicing safety with a firearm.

Just saying but the instructors could make emergency rules and well, help those in need. But that's just a throw it out there and let it simmer!

Here's a novel idea, wave the 3 hour training and allow current ccl holders to just get a cert from an instructor and turn it in!

Current ccl holders already know how to hit the target, and they are already practicing safety with a firearm.

Just saying but the instructors could make emergency rules and well, help those in need. But that's just a throw it out there and let it simmer!

Did just that last Saturday for 2 club members that were about to expire. Very careful with keeping our distance and no handling same objects except for certificates. I passed those out signed and watched as they were filled out. I did not touch anything the students had touched. I was the only one touching targets.

(shame on them for waiting until last minute, but it happens)

Shame on them? BS. Shame on the ISP and Illinois for only having a 3 month window. I know people that signed up for classes long before the current mess. I have a hard time trying to look down my nose at them and tell them it was their fault for not taking the class a year ago.

Mike

The window to take the renewal class is not limited to a 3 month period. Both of those guys knew 5 years in advance they had to take a renewal class. YES shame on them for waiting until the last minute to take the class. Waiting to take the class didn't save them a dime. Waiting until the last minute to file is a TOTALLY different thing. Crawl down off your high horse.

Yes they could have taken the class earlier, but it any normal circumstances it would not have been needed.

Tell me, what significant item is anyone that already took 16 hours going to learn from 2 hours more and a absolute joke of a shooting qualification? Anything they could not learn with an online course?

I doubt it.

Mike

Yes they could have taken the class earlier, but it any normal circumstances it would not have been needed.

Tell me, what significant item is anyone that already took 16 hours going to learn from 2 hours more and a absolute joke of a shooting qualification? Anything they could not learn with an online course?

I doubt it.

Mike

Not debating the law. I bent over backwards to help these 2 guys and said shame on them for putting me in that spot and you called it BS. Go insult another instructor.

Okay, let's keep this one on topic... I really think we should spend the energy calling out reps and talking with them to help get this thing settled. If they don't do something the lawsuits will begin to fly when you are not able to renew a permit because of an executive order. Class action and I'm in if we don't get some relief on this issue.

It doesn't affect many of us hardcore people, because we got them day 1 and already have our renewals done. That doesn't mean I'm not all in for those that haven't.

JQ

Archived