Training with gloves pro's and con's ?

flw

I shoot at a outdoor range so when its cold, I shoot with gloves on. (mechanics brand-basic).

Today for some reason I decided to test my accuracy with and without gloves. Today it was 70 plus degree's so it was more of a glove only test. i.e. no numb trigger finger

With ten shots at paper targets, I was clearly better without gloves and wonder why some shooters train with gloves when its not cold out?

Anybody here train w/gloves?

Gloves are a military thing. Think about the urban env and the beating your hand (and knees) take in combat. Train the way u expect to fight. If you wear gloves in combat train w them. But for us civis and ex mil we will be shooting w bare hands in an emergency.

All of that assumes you are not shooting 500 to 1000 rnds a day where you may get blisters... had that happen once to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

I personally don’t wear gloves to train with, but there are a couple of reasons guys use them in training.

1. During high round count classes like 1,000 to 1,500 rounds for 2 days, hands can get beat up. It's even worse in the 5 day classes. Some guys wear gloves to prevent blisters and abrasions. For example: Glock Knuckle with shooting pistols and the ‘cheese grater’ affect when shooting rifles equipped with rails.

2. Some Mil and LE guys like to wear gloves at work so they train in them.

3. Unfortunately some guys wear them just for the 'looking cool factor'. Trainers like Larry Vickers and Kyle Lamb sell gloves, and this adds to the appeal of using gloves for some.

I don’t wear them. I’ve tried them and they interfere with the feel of the trigger. They greatly affect my pistol shooting. Anymore I just liberally apply band aids on high round count classes.

Matt

train the way you expect to fight.

Calling "LKing's X" while you're putting your gloves on is probably not going to work out well.

Train in the fal with gloves on if you have to too and re-train in the spring without gloves.

But, chanes are, you will have to fight without your gloves unless you a police patrolman

"tacticool" will get you killed

train the way you expect to fight.

Calling "LKing's X" while you're putting your gloves on is probably not going to work out well.

Train in the fal with gloves on if you have to too and re-train in the spring without gloves.

But, chanes are, you will have to fight without your gloves unless you a police patrolman

"tacticool" will get you killed

This is the exact mentality I follow.

People train with Oakley kevlar gloves, are they going to wear these 24/7 when they go out in the real world?

I understand with rifles because the only time I'll be in public with my AR is if SHTF...

I tried to shoot an IDPA match with gloves on, but after the first stage, the gloves came off when it was my turn to shoot. I hadn't practiced with gloves and the feel was to different from me to shot accurately. I struggle enough without adding another challenge to my shooting skills.

Strange I use to have this recurring nightmare. I was in a gunfight and I couldn't get my finger into the trigger guard because of these gloves I was wearing. Needless to say soon after I started training with a pair of tactical gloves and was darn certain I was very capable of pulling that trigger.

The dreams never returned. True story

I personally don’t wear gloves to train with, but there are a couple of reasons guys use them in training.

1. During high round count classes like 1,000 to 1,500 rounds for 2 days, hands can get beat up. It's even worse in the 5 day classes. Some guys wear gloves to prevent blisters and abrasions. For example: Glock Knuckle with shooting pistols and the ‘cheese grater’ affect when shooting rifles equipped with rails.

2. Some Mil and LE guys like to wear gloves at work so they train in them.

3. Unfortunately some guys wear them just for the 'looking cool factor'. Trainers like Larry Vickers and Kyle Lamb sell gloves, and this adds to the appeal of using gloves for some.

I don’t wear them. I’ve tried them and they interfere with the feel of the trigger. They greatly affect my pistol shooting. Anymore I just liberally apply band aids on high round count classes.

Matt

OK, I have to ask a silly question. What is Glock knuckle ??

I think I have an idea but please explain it to me.

flw,

Sorry for the confusion, It's just caused by the friction between the middle finger and the bottom of the trigger guard during recoil. After several hundred rounds it can get rubbed raw.

Matt

I bought a pair of Kevlar palmed gloves on the off chance that I ever experienced a catastrophic failure (a.k.a. kaBOOM!) just like actually needing to use a gun for defense is an off chance. I've had the pros and cons go through my head, I'm aware of them and I have found that they do affect my accuracy. I'll keep practicing with them and if I get used to them, I'll keep them handy for a SHTF moment. It's feasible to practice enough both ways for it to not matter.

2 things:

Glock knuckle - from experiece, it is the inside of your middle finger knuckle rubbing under the trigger guard. Typically this is on the Gen3 and Gen4's only because they have the finger grooves, and if you have large knuckles, the knuckle sits directly on the bottom of the trigger guard. It is a bit worse with a hogue grip, but you get used to it and build a tollerance to it pretty quickly. This is normally only from shooting 100' (like 500 or more) rounds in 1 day. Or you have very sensitive hands. lol

Secondly, I like to train with and without gloves. Mostly for training in hot or cold/wet weather.

• 2 weeks later...
Well I've shot with gloves before. In the winter its not an option when your outdoors for 16 hours on a range. For concealed carry absolutely have to practice with your gloves and coat that you wear in your daily life. (I CCW for the last 6 years in mi, painful learning curve) trying to get your gun out with thick gloves on will give you PTSD symptoms for a year or two.... luckily they saw me going for it and broke and ran. But training with a pistol with my okley knuckle gloves would be beyond asinine. I have them for training Marines, I will wear them again this summer in 29 palms for when I'm teaching machine gunners how to use 240s, wearing them for a civilian orientated course is absurd. That said bleeding from cocking serrations/skateboard tape does suck, get over it. Blowouts on 1911s, get g10 grips they take a hit for your hands way better then wood grips. If still worried karniac customs makes metal sleeves for under the grips on the 1911s. Any modern handgun ought to take a double charge without too much damage to your hand. They are designed to blow out the magazine well. No glove set is going to give you 10 good fingertips that fit you correctly, you must learn which ones you can fish stuff with, your ability to manipulate your firearm will be altered, you have to figure it out.

Archived