Read before FOID/CCL Renewal PLUS Address Change - getting locked out of the system

Molly B.

I also am in the same boat as I only read the first couple of lines in the pop-up and went ahead and changed my address for my CCL. All I received in the mail was my FOID and it has my new address and my address has been changed online. I didn't receive my CCL. Logged into the state police website and my CCL says Pending.. It doesn't expire until 4/11/2020 I have tried calling them about a 100 times and every time the line is busy and I get the recording and then it hangs up on me..

Is there anything I can do? Will I be able to renew once I am within the 90 days? I took the 3 hour renewal course and have my certificate in hand but am not seeing the renewal button on the website when I login..

If the renewal button does not appear by Jan. 15, let me know.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I wish I would have discovered this community and thread specifically before going in to renew my CCL for the first time. My CCL is due to expire on 6//24, and after creating a new account, I was confused by the warning message that the address on my DL needed to match. I had recently updated my DL and thus the addresses on my FOID, CCL, and DL were out of sync. I went through the change of address process, paid the $80.00 fee (holy cow), and now my CCL status is stuck in "Under Review". If I try to press the "Renew" button in the CCL section, I'm given an error message that says I cannot access the licensing wizard. If I try to call the automated phone line, it encounters an error when trying to process my renewal also. This really is a terrible design on their part.

I believe I may have lucked out here due to Covid-19, where I can safely wait for this to be unlocked before trying to renew my CCL even after it expires without facing any penalty, but it is still very frustrating to have wasted $80.00 and gotten locked out of the process for something that it doesn't sound like I needed to do in the first place. I wish they would make it more clear on their website that you can indicate a change of address whilst completing the CCL renew process. Does anyone know if it's possible to get a refund for this, or cancel this out so I can do it all at once, or is it not even worth the hassle of trying?

Hello Molly, back in September of 2019 I appealed my foid card denial by certified mail. I have not heard anything back from them. I’ve tried calling them but not able to get through. I’ve read something about faxing them. Can you give me more info on that and what all needs to be included in the fax? Thank you

Depending on the reason for the denial, a FAX can sometimes prompt movement of an appeal. Send me a private message about your denial.

• 3 weeks later...
Just went through the change of address for CCL/FOID (expire 5-24). Clicked on CCL and FOID was added automatically. No issues other than the $80+$1.80 fee for both. We’ll see how long it takes. FWIW, I changed my DMV info prior but not my physical DL yet. From what the DMV site says, I cannot go in yet for an update.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Refreshing this topic here, folks. Any assistance would be appreciated.

FOID renewal is under review and extended under COVID-19. CCL is active. However, I've moved (within state) since submitting renewal and have emailed ISP for guidance. No response as of yet.

Address has been updated & confirmed with ILSOS.

Is there a recommended protocol for updating my address for both cards while one is currently under renewal/review?

Much thanks.

Since you have already updated with Secretary of State, there probably will be a problem with the FOID address not matching. At this point, you probably should go ahead and do the address change. If FOID won't let you log in the change, try logging in and doing the address change for the CCL.

This could of course cause a further delay for the FOID arrival.

• 4 weeks later...

Good Morning,

I have a series of FOID/CCL address change/renewal/application questions.

My daughter was married last October 3. She changed her DL address 2/3/21. Her CCL expires this October and her FOID expires in December 2023.

How does she correct her address on the FOID and apply for her CCL renewal without problems?

Her husband submitted his DL address change in late January. He submitted his FOID address change in late Jan. It has not changed on the website yet.

He wants to submit his first CCL application. How should they accomplish this without trouble?

Daughter first - DO NOT REQUEST NAME OR ADDRESS CHANGE!
1. when the renew option appears on her dashboard sometime around June/July she will log in and click RENEW.

2. In the renewal application process she will change her last name to new name and enter her maiden name in the box designated for maiden name.

3. She will move her old address to her address history.

4. She will enter her new address in the 'current' address box.

Son-in-law - His FOID address change may have him locked out of the system and unable to apply for CCL online. He can try. However, if he is locked out, he may need to apply via the phone system - or just wait until FOID change goes through.

• 6 months later...
On 11/1/2021 at 3:33 PM, Biff said:

Here's a question for Molly B. I sent in the renewal for my CCL back in January of this year. My FOID expires on 4/1/2022. I still have not recieved my CCL yet as the status is still UNDER REVIEW. My question is, should I go ahead and renew my FOID even though I'm still waiting on approval for the CCL? 

Thanks

Sending you a private message.

• 2 months later...

You may have to have the account verified.  If you don't mind sharing some information, you can send me a private message and I'll submit an inquiry to ISP for you.

I will need:

1. Full legal name

2. Date of birth

3. CCL number

4. Driver's license number

5. DD number at the bottom of your driver's license

6. phone and email

• 1 month later...

This verification business is rapidly turning into a real crock.  I help people who find computers "challenging" to process their FOIDs and CCLs, both new and renewals.  The last 2 I've worked with have had problems getting locked out with "additional verification is needed."  I've been doing this since whenever year 1 was, and this is the first time for this particular error.

In both cases the client did not have their original ID and password, so the process had to begin with setting up a new ID.  When we got to the part asking for an email addy, naturally the one each provided had been used already.  In one case, the client had no second email addy so I set up a new one on gmail.  The other person had a second addy but it, too, had been used.  Gmail saved the day, again.  But then we hit the additional verification wall. 

Two choices were provided:  Either call the main ISPFSB phone number, or send an email to a certain addy.  From past experience I knew calling the number was essentially a waste of time & so for client 1 an email was sent with exactly the info requested.  Client 2 worked on composing his email while I dialed the number, just to cover all bases. 

You'd think since the ISP was providing a specific phone number answered by a machine, that somewhere in the extensive menu of options one would specifically state "verification assistance," or words to that effect.  You'd be wrong, of course.  This, after all, is a state agency within Illinois.  After circling the menu for 15 frustrating minutes I was no closer to finding anything relevant to verification but did finally reach an instruction to...wait for it.....send an email. 

Eventually, client 1 received a response that her ID application had been reset and that she could proceed with her renewal.  From this point, the actual CCL portion of the application went normally.  The entire thing only required 3 appointments, nearly six hours of my time and over 2 weeks to complete the process.  Naturally, the part of the application that takes your money worked perfectly.

After spending 2 hours with client 2, his "request for verification" email is still pending a response over a week later. 

Both clients have relatives that also want me to help them.  I'm starting to dread the thought.

To your list of data above, the ISP is also requesting a photograph of the applicant holding their ID.  The instruction does not state, though I assume, that the ID must be held near their face.  I take the photo with it next to their chin.  Otherwise, it would surely be tempting to simply tape it to the backside of a single finger.

Is there an end in sight?

It is an embarrassing shame that Illinois citizens must tolerate this level of incompetency just to exercise a Constitutional right.

• 1 month later...

Hey, Valinda.

I've been trying to help a client process his CCL renewal online and have run into a problem.  I've probably done around 100 of these before and never had a situation I couldn't resolve.  But this one has me stumped.

This started well before the expiration date on his CCL of 4/11/22.  The renewal button on his dashboard was active.  He'd been helped with his original application 5 years ago by someone else and he had no record of the original User ID and password.  He still had his original email addy, but entering that for the renewal produced an "already in use" error message.  Finally we set up a new Gmail addy for him expressly for the purpose of being able to process his renewal.  I've done this successfully before.

I'll skip the drama.  Suffice it to say, ultimately it did not work this time.  Ultimately we arrived a a page that announced that "additional verification was needed" and to contact the ISP by either phone or email using the info provided.  The phone was ISP's main line and from prior experience I knew the chances of speaking to a live person were minimal.  I opted for email.  A couple sentences at the bottom of the screen indicated that verification could be expedited by including a photo of the applicant holding his drivers license, his DOB, address, etc. with the email.  This was done from the applicant's phone.  No response was received.

A few weeks later we tried again with a similar result.  This time I did try the phone and as expected it went straight to voicemail.  I'd have thought that since the renewal application webpage specifically recommended this phone number as part of "additional verification" that one of the voicemail menu options would reference "additional verification."  No such luck.  Ultimately after chasing down every menu choice I could think of I was eventually led back to "send them an email."  This was done again with no response.

Do you have a contact inside ISP that could reset this account back to "ground zero"?  Or anything that would help move this forward?  I'm in possession of photos of the guy's DL, FOID, CCL, user name and password, as well as his security Q & A.  So I can answer most pertinent questions.  But one time before when I was actually talking with a real ISP person about a different jam-up he refused to help because I wasn't the "actual" applicant. 

Presently we've been hammering on this for about 5 hours with nothing to show for it.

My concern at this point is whether the applicant's CCL will remain valid if/when this is finally straightened out since the renewal process itself was not completed prior to 4/11/22.

Thanks,

Tom

On 4/15/2022 at 3:38 PM, Prairie Pucker said:

Hey, Valinda.

I've been trying to help a client process his CCL renewal online and have run into a problem.  I've probably done around 100 of these before and never had a situation I couldn't resolve.  But this one has me stumped.

This started well before the expiration date on his CCL of 4/11/22.  The renewal button on his dashboard was active.  He'd been helped with his original application 5 years ago by someone else and he had no record of the original User ID and password.  He still had his original email addy, but entering that for the renewal produced an "already in use" error message.  Finally we set up a new Gmail addy for him expressly for the purpose of being able to process his renewal.  I've done this successfully before.

I'll skip the drama.  Suffice it to say, ultimately it did not work this time.  Ultimately we arrived a a page that announced that "additional verification was needed" and to contact the ISP by either phone or email using the info provided.  The phone was ISP's main line and from prior experience I knew the chances of speaking to a live person were minimal.  I opted for email.  A couple sentences at the bottom of the screen indicated that verification could be expedited by including a photo of the applicant holding his drivers license, his DOB, address, etc. with the email.  This was done from the applicant's phone.  No response was received.

A few weeks later we tried again with a similar result.  This time I did try the phone and as expected it went straight to voicemail.  I'd have thought that since the renewal application webpage specifically recommended this phone number as part of "additional verification" that one of the voicemail menu options would reference "additional verification."  No such luck.  Ultimately after chasing down every menu choice I could think of I was eventually led back to "send them an email."  This was done again with no response.

Do you have a contact inside ISP that could reset this account back to "ground zero"?  Or anything that would help move this forward?  I'm in possession of photos of the guy's DL, FOID, CCL, user name and password, as well as his security Q & A.  So I can answer most pertinent questions.  But one time before when I was actually talking with a real ISP person about a different jam-up he refused to help because I wasn't the "actual" applicant. 

Presently we've been hammering on this for about 5 hours with nothing to show for it.

My concern at this point is whether the applicant's CCL will remain valid if/when this is finally straightened out since the renewal process itself was not completed prior to 4/11/22.

Messge me, I will need:

Full legal name

Date of birth

Foid/ccl #

Driver's license#

Dd # at the bottom of driver's license 

Email

Cell phone

Archived