Venezuelans regretting giving up their guns

Jeffrey

I concede. They may not know what you own at any particular moment.

BUT, if it ever gets to forced registration or confiscation, simply having a FOID at any point in your life could result in a visit from the tyrants.

Thats the nice thing about owning an unknown (to the government) number of guns.

What's really nice is when you finally leave ILLannoy and send that stupid FOID card back to Springfield. 49 other states never heard of a "FOID."
When I leave, the ISP will have to come pick up any and all IL permission slips.

MA also has a Firearms ID, called a FID. Their system is even more archaic than IL.

The irony is that Marxism teaches that the proletariat should be armed to make sure the revolution happens. Gun control is against Marxism.

Once Marxism has been achieved, there is no longer a need for the proletariat to have guns. Big Brother will give them everything they need and take care of their security. Just like the Democratic Party.

Three of my handguns were "inherited" with no FFL or ISP involvement. Another handgun that I bought may only be recorded by the store that sold it to me in the mid-70s. This was WAY "pre-NICS" and I don't know if that dealer had to call the ISP or not. Of course, with the FOID, they already know who own the guns, just not necessarily how many.

Of course, with the FOID, they already know who legally own the guns, just not necessarily how many.

Fixed it for ya, I'm willing to bet in IL alone there are 10s of thousands of firearms in the hands of people that don't have FOID cards, some criminally prohibited people others that simply neglected to renew, keep or get a FOID over the years.

I concede. They may not know what you own at any particular moment.

BUT, if it ever gets to forced registration or confiscation, simply having a FOID at any point in your life could result in a visit from the tyrants.

That’s the nice thing about owning an unknown (to the government) number of guns.

What's really nice is when you finally leave ILLannoy and send that stupid FOID card back to Springfield. 49 other states never heard of a "FOID."

Talking to some folks in Tenn on the fairgrounds last year with some local deputies. Tried to explain to them what a FOID was. They both looked like I was nuts.

"Whaaaaaat?" replied one of the officers. A local standing with us said to one of them "I've got my revolver setting on the console of my truck right now."

The sheriff laughed and said "I know Bob, I saw it when I was coming in this morning."

Talking to some folks in Tenn on the fairgrounds last year with some local deputies. Tried to explain to them what a FOID was. They both looked like I was nuts....

It's simply a card that says you aren't a prohibited person.

It's simply an infringement to make it harder for people to exercise their right and to make it easy to take the right away.

Just for clarification since there is some confusion-

The ISP background check is backdoor 2 step registration on all firearms purchased through an FFL.

The ISP retains the transaction number of the FTIP (Illinois Firearms Transaction Inquiry Program) background check the FFL initiated.

If they want further info on a person they just request copies of all the relevant 4473’s from the FFL’s that initiated the FTIP inquiry.

From those they compile a list of all the firearms an individual transferred through a FFL.

This can take a few days unless the department’s officers stop by the FFL’s (only relevant if the FFLs are local or other departments assist in an immediately needed inquiry)

My understanding from an IOI (Industry Operation Investigator-ATF AGENT) was that the FFL does not need to comply with local police departments, but they will just kick the request up to the ATF, whom the FFL does need to comply with.

Not sure if an IL FFL is legally required to comply with an ISP inquiry, but as a practical matter they are.

I have seen nothing that this Illinois record keeping is against state law, but I haven’t looked that hard.

Federally the Federal background check information is supposed to be destroyed after a set amount of time.

This applies to the FBI NICS check.

Illinois gets around this by performing their own background check and keeping their own records.

I would be interested to see any law making this practice illegal, but haven’t seen any yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talking to some folks in Tenn on the fairgrounds last year with some local deputies. Tried to explain to them what a FOID was. They both looked like I was nuts.

It's simply a card that says you aren't a prohibited person.

That would be one way to look at it.

You are guilty of a crime without it, even if you owned firearms before 1968; that would be another.

It is a permission slip to exercise a constitutional right; that would be another way to look at it too.

A problem with rights that predate government is that government decides they are best for qualifying and administrating those rights.

Just for clarification since there is some confusion-

The ISP background check is backdoor 2 step registration on all firearms purchased through an FFL.

The ISP retains the transaction number of the FTIP (Illinois Firearms Transaction Inquiry Program) background check the FFL initiated.

If they want further info on a person they just request copies of all the relevant 4473s from the FFLs that initiated the FTIP inquiry.

From those they compile a list of all the firearms an individual transferred through a FFL.

This can take a few days unless the departments officers stop by the FFLs (only relevant if the FFLs are local or other departments assist in an immediately needed inquiry)

My understanding from an IOI (Industry Operation Investigator-ATF AGENT) was that the FFL does not need to comply with local police departments, but they will just kick the request up to the ATF, whom the FFL does need to comply with.

Not sure if an IL FFL is legally required to comply with an ISP inquiry, but as a practical matter they are.

I have seen nothing that this Illinois record keeping is against state law, but I havent looked that hard.

Federally the Federal background check information is supposed to be destroyed after a set amount of time.

This applies to the FBI NICS check.

Illinois gets around this by performing their own background check and keeping their own records.

I would be interested to see any law making this practice illegal, but havent seen any yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IIRC, gun dealer licensing bill would make records available to ISP. It is coming.

Archived