Change of address questions on FOID and CCL

jawman

I moved this Saturday 8/17, still in Illinois. I understand that I need to do a change of address at the ISP website for my CCL and FOID, and I understand that it must match what the state has on file. What I don't understand is that, do I have to update the Secretary of State Website, AND get a new driver's license card with my new address on it? Or can I just simply update my address online with Secretary of State website, and keep my current drivers license that has my old address?

In other words, does the FOID and CCL have to match my physical driver's license (meaning I need to get a new driver's license with my new address) or can I keep my old driver's license with my old address, and just update my new address on the Secretary of State website only?

The last thing I want to do is go to the SoS office, stand in line for hours, and pay a fee to get a new driver's license, especially when my current driver's license doesn't expire until next year. So if it's acceptable to just update the address online with SoS, I'd rather do that first and then submit my FOID and CCL address change with ISP.

Your driver's license/State ID card file and your vehicle registration file can be updated by visiting a Secretary of State facility, or by submitting your change of address online

https://www.ilsos.gov/addrchange/

My understanding is you need to do an address change within 10 days. That can be online. Then if you want, you can go into a facility bringing required documents to order a new physical card. So, I think you can do what you ask but with various gun store policies, you may get some hassle if FOID/CCL do not match DL and not sure what you may encounter.

...By law, motorists must notify the Illinois Secretary of State's office within 10 days when their address or name changes (Illinois Vehicle Code, Sec. 3-416, 6-116 and 6-511). This will ensure that you receive your renewal notices and other correspondence at the appropriate address.

Your driver's license/State ID card file and your vehicle registration file can be updated by visiting a Secretary of State facility, or by submitting your change of address online using the links at the bottom of this page. Address changes must be submitted for BOTH the driver's license/State ID card file and the vehicle registration file as they are separate databases. Please provide address change information on every vehicle that is registered in your name.

If you would like to update the address on your actual driver's license/State ID card, you must visit a Secretary of State facility and bring one Acceptable Identification (Group D) and pay the appropriate fee...

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=1657&ChapterID=39

If you order ammo online, it must be sent to address on FOID or DL...(at least I dont think it means DL or ID)

...Any resident purchasing ammunition within or outside the State of Illinois must provide the seller with a copy of his or her valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card or valid concealed carry license and either his or her Illinois driver's license or Illinois State Identification Card prior to the shipment of the ammunition. The ammunition may be shipped only to an address on either of those 2 documents....

Your driver's license/State ID card file and your vehicle registration file can be updated by visiting a Secretary of State facility, or by submitting your change of address online

That doesn't answer my question. I've I already updated my address online at the SoS website. My question is, is simply updating your address on file with the SoS website sufficient in order to change my FOID and CCL address change? Or must I also have my physical driver's license card updated with my new address too?

That doesn't answer my question. I've I already updated my address online at the SoS website. My question is, is simply updating your address on file with the SoS website sufficient in order to change my FOID and CCL address change? Or must I also have my physical driver's license card updated with my new address too?

See post 3 above. InterestedBystander answered your question.

"If you would like to update the address on your actual driver's license/State ID card, you must visit a Secretary of State facility and bring one Acceptable Identification (Group D) and pay the appropriate fee..."

Guys, I understand how to update my address with the SoS online and that it has be done within 10 days. I've already done that with the SoS website. Everything that has been posted here is a copy paste directly from the SoS website, which I am already well aware of because I read all of that before I made this post. None of it answers my questions. I'm not asking for the SoS website. I'm not asking how to update my address with the SOS website. I'm not asking how to change my physical drivers license. So copying and pasting that information is a waste of time.

My question still remains unanswered, I thought it was pretty straight forward, but I'll rephrase it:

When I go the ISP website to request a change of address for FOID and CCL cards, do they require my new address to match the address of my physical driver's license? Or as long as I updated it with SoS website, am I okay and I can keep my old address DL? I don't want to submit an address change with the ISP and pay the fee if they're going to reject it and claim that the address I've requested doesn't match my physical driver's license card.

If simply changing my address on file with the SoS will do, then I am fine, and I won't bother getting an updated DL.

Guys, I understand how to update my address with the SoS online and that it has be done within 10 days. I've already done that with the SoS website. Everything that has been posted here is a copy paste directly from the SoS website, which I am already well aware of because I read all of that before I made this post. None of it answers my questions. I'm not asking for the SoS website. I'm not asking how to update my address with the SOS website. I'm not asking how to change my physical drivers license. So copying and pasting that information is a waste of time.

My question still remains unanswered, I thought it was pretty straight forward, but I'll rephrase it:

When I go the ISP website to request a change of address for FOID and CCL cards, do they require my new address to match the address of my physical driver's license? Or as long as I updated it with SoS website, am I okay and I can keep my old address DL? I don't want to submit an address change with the ISP and pay the fee if they're going to reject it and claim that the address I've requested doesn't match my physical driver's license card.

If simply changing my address on file with the SoS will do, then I am fine, and I won't bother getting an updated DL.

To answer your question, yes I believe you're addresse must match. I vaguely remember reading here that someone had an issue with this same thing and their DL didn't match their FCCL.

I would go and get your physical DL changed and then update your FOID and FCCL. It may be a pain to do this but it may save you headaches and frustration in the long run. Especially if they decide to revoke your FOID and FCCL because of non matching addresses.

To answer your question, yes I believe you're addresse must match. I vaguely remember reading here that someone had an issue with this same thing and their DL didn't match their FCCL.

I would go and get your physical DL changed and then update your FOID and FCCL. It may be a pain to do this but it may save you headaches and frustration in the long run. Especially if they decide to revoke your FOID and FCCL because of non matching addresses.

Thank you. I vaguely remember reading that here too, so this was my concern. I wonder if Molly knows the answer to this.

The SOS doesnt appear to require updating the physical card right away.

I did not find the physical card being mentioned in the FOID Act or Firearms Concealed Carry Act nor in the FCCL process and procedure manual or JCAR rules either although that pretty much means nothing in how they choose to process.

Id like to see a link to that previous discussion if anyone has it.

Overall it will probably make your life easier to have a corrected DL be it for traffic stops, buying ammo online or visiting your local gun shop.

MollyB has stated before to change the DL first and then do anything with the FOID or CCL.

Possible search for MollyB posts.

But its been said several times......

Posted by Molly B. on 26 April 2019 - 11:05 PM in Illinois Carry Licensing Process

You are right to start with driver's license first. but you are right, it could open a whole can of worms but supposedly all should match your driver's license.

Posted by Molly B. on 18 March 2019 - 02:11 PM in Illinois Carry Licensing Process

Change driver's license first, wait to get new license to make sure it is correct. Change CCL address next - during that process it should offer the option to change FOID also. You will not need to upload anything

You do not need to update your physical DL to your new address in order to change the address on your FOID/CCL. All that matters is that your DL address is updated in the SoS system.

I moved last Fall, updated everything online, had new CCL and FOID in hand in a matter of weeks, and still have my physical DL with the old address.

You do not need to update your physical DL to your new address in order to change the address on your FOID/CCL. All that matters is that your DL address is updated in the SoS system.

I moved last Fall, updated everything online, had new CCL and FOID in hand in a matter of weeks, and still have my physical DL with the old address.

Thank you. Do you remember how long you waited after updating SoS website until you did the FOID/CCL change?

I updated my address online with SoS website yesterday, and don't know if they do it instantly or if it takes them a few days. I figure I should probably give it a few days for the SoS to process the change before I attempt at the ISP website, just to be safe.

Thank you. Do you remember how long you waited after updating SoS website until you did the FOID/CCL change?

I updated my address online with SoS website yesterday, and don't know if they do it instantly or if it takes them a few days. I figure I should probably give it a few days for the SoS to process the change before I attempt at the ISP website, just to be safe.

I've seen it suggested to wait a week or so between updating address on CyberDriveIllinois and doing the FOID/CCL address change.

I spoke with customer service at ISP about a month ago and they said a new physical license wasn't needed. However, you will have to update the 10-year address history to correspond to when you moved to the new address.

Honestly, I waited longer than I was supposed to, but only because I refuse to pay $80 for a change of address, only to turn around and renew my CCL for another $150.

Last week of September is when I updated my DL online... mid-November when the renew option became available for my CCL... so probably a month and a half?

Archived