Where to Shoot - STL Metro East area

streakpi

Can't find a thread on this subject - so here it is.

Looking for both indoor and outdoor areas to shoot near Scott Air Force Base, IL (Shiloh, Belleville, O'Fallon, etc).

I am REALLY tired of paying $18/hr indoors - that is BS to me...but may be the norm here in Illinois. I'm a Texan forced to be here, don't like the lack of ranges and the high prices.

What about outdoor ranges? Heck, I would shoot at a State run site if offered.

The one place I found is the Belleville shooting range. $18/hr on only 5 lanes makes it both expensive and tight after work. They also don't discount for military...just active LEOs. Is paying $200/yr for a range fee the norm around these parts?

Thanks - sorry to poo poo on the state...just not gun friendly.

Check out Highland Rifle and Pistol. They have both an outdoor and indoor range.

Thanks- took a look at it. Maybe in the future I will give it a tour. It's about the same distance there than the one I like in STL.

On a side-note...and I will probably burn for this...maybe the guys at Highland R&P should upload photos that do NOT just show 100 year old men and women pointing hunting rifles and black powder rifles. Was that a Geritol league or something??? I don't think a lot of younger guys go there for any quick range fun!!! Just my opinion, but dang...kind of expensive for a hometown kind of range.

Edited by streakpi

I shot at the Belleville Indoor Shooting Range range. I'm used to larger ranges in STL or KC...or even back in Texas where I am "from".

Good:

-Wide lanes

-Friendly staff

-Clean store

-Plenty of stock and plenty of guns to rent (to shoot)

Bad:

-Expensive (to me...I'm used to paying $10...not $18 an hour

-No discount on yearly fee for Active Military (LEOs get $150/yr instead of the rest of us paying $199/yr)

-Horrible circulation on the range

Although the staff was great and the store was pretty cool - I left early due to really bad ciculation down at the range. The smoke hung in the air at the 10yd line. I started choking a bit within 30 minutes of being there. Told the staff guy at the register as I was leaving...he said he would check. Sad that I paid $22 for 35 minutes of shooting but...some ranges are older or don't invest in their air circulation systems. Who knows. Not going back there again.

Oh well, will keep looking.

Looking for both indoor and outdoor areas to shoot near Scott Air Force Base, IL (Shiloh, Belleville, O'Fallon, etc).

I am REALLY tired of paying $18/hr indoors - that is BS to me...but may be the norm here in Illinois. I'm a Texan forced to be here, don't like the lack of ranges and the high prices.

The one place I found is the Belleville shooting range. $18/hr on only 5 lanes makes it both expensive and tight after work. They also don't discount for military...just active LEOs. Is paying $200/yr for a range fee the norm around these parts?

I belonged here in the 80's....it was nice at that time!

http://tcgunclub.org/

I belonged here in the 80's....it was nice at that time!

http://tcgunclub.org/

I hear good things about this place..will check it out this week!!

There's supposed to be another indoor range opening up just out side of Columbia, IL. Also, there's a 100 yard outdoor range in Arnold. But that'll be about the same distance as highland depending where in the metro-east your living. I feel your pain man. If i had the capital, I'd build an outdoor range in the area.

And I defiantly feel your pain about the BSR rates. That's why I refused to shoot there even when I lived 3 blocks from there. Just couldn't justify the added cost.

Edited by bornhunter04

You'll find most ranges are about 50 miles from Belleville. I work at Scott and live in Aviston and I have to drive 25 miles or so to shoot. There are ranges in Bunker Hill, Sparta, and Litchfield plus the Highland range already mentioned. Highland's indoor range is rimfire only and their outdoor ranges leave a lot to be desired. They are primarily a skeet/trap club. I'm a member of the Caseyville Rifle and Pistol club right outside of Mascoutah. It's expensive (300 to join and 30 a month maintenance fees due to ongoing lawsuits from the county) if you stay a member and work 3 days a year, the next years dues are only 150.00. It has rifle and pistol ranges and is a great outside range. It's worth the money to me. I'm also a member of Rampart Range in Pocahontas IL. It's about 50 miles from Belleville. He has a great new 10 lane range with good ventilation, light, etc. He offers military discounts for hourly and memberships. My family membership there was 175.00 and includes 10% off ammo. It's tough to find other ranges in the metro area. As a side note, if you buy a new gun from the Belleville Shooting Range, you get a free membership. Let me know if you'd like to check out the Caseyville or Rampart ranges!

• 2 months later...

I'm thinking Rampart Range may be the best match. Just sent Mark an email asking about the class schedule for Jul and on (nothing on his calendar). Although it looks expensive...I can handle 50 miles if the range is right. Their operating hours are extremely limited - would rather be able to go their in the summer and shoot between 7-9pm. Weekend hours are even worse.

Just noticed that they do not offer any outdoor ranges. Dang.

Edited by streakpi

Try the IDNR range at Sparta . Looks to be just down Rt 4, maybe miles from Lebanon. I've only shot sporting clays there at a fund raiser so I"m not sure of the "open to the public" access or hours. Nice facility that I could see, I plan to go back this August to the Grand American. Good luck.

I found the Jay Henges Shooting Range (MO State)...gonna try it out next weekend. An hour from me...$3 an hour...plenty of small arms ranges...no crazy fees.

Guess I am looking for a place where I can have a 3yd-25yd pistol range as well as 25yd-100yd rifle range at my disposal. Don't want $300/yr fees, don't want 10am-4pm timeframe...just want to have some fun.

If it fits your schedule, Sparta shooting complex has open shooting from 1 pm - Dark on Thursdays for a flat fee of $5 per person. They have the rifle range (don't know what their distance is - think it was 100yds. Pistols also.)

If you are interested either call Dennis Snead @ WSRC :

Contact person/email:

Dennis Sneed / dennis.sneed@illinois.gov

Phone/Fax:

618-295-2700

Or J & J's Guns and Knives on site would know 100% :

(618) 295-2702

509 Mallord Ln

Sparta, IL 62286

GoatLady