Recieved renewal notice from ISP today

bfreeman

Still wondering if the new expiration dates will be based on the original expiration date or 5 years from the new renewal date? Only lasting 5 years is bad enough but if they are twisting arms to get folks to renew early, they might be coercing people into 4-3/4 years.

Interesting however the mention of the extensions if you apply before the expiration date. Perhaps the hot ticket is to take the course and wait a couple of days before the expiration to upload.

Sure is going to be interesting to see how fast these renewals actually take and what dates they will be keying on.

Yeah, I've got my course completed already too, but the instructor told us to wait until a month prior, and don't submit them so early. I didn't bother asking why, but it sure will be interesting to see how they calculate the new expiration dates. Seems no matter when you get your DL renewed, it always expires on the same day, your bday.

Yeah, I've got my course completed already too, but the instructor told us to wait until a month prior, and don't submit them so early. I didn't bother asking why, but it sure will be interesting to see how they calculate the new expiration dates. Seems no matter when you get your DL renewed, it always expires on the same day, your bday.

I cannot find the thread, but I understand that your new CCL will have an expiration date based on the date the ISP renews it, not on the date your current card expires. For instance, If your CCL is renewed Dec 15, 2018 it would expire on Dec 15, 2023, not 5 years from the expiration date of your current CCL.

Some argue that you do not get your money's worth since you get less time than you pay for. Others are filing early to avoid the rush of those with a 02/28/2019 expiration date. Some are concerned that they might forget and their license will expire. Some are concerned that the next administration will slow down or cause other problems with the renewal process.

Make your own decision for what works best for you.

I cannot find the thread, but I understand that your new CCL will have an expiration date based on the date the ISP renews it, not on the date your current card expires. For instance, If your CCL is renewed Dec 15, 2018 it would expire on Dec 15, 2023, not 5 years from the expiration date of your current CCL.

Some argue that you do not get your money's worth since you get less time than you pay for. Others are filing early to avoid the rush of those with a 02/28/2019 expiration date. Some are concerned that they might forget and their license will expire. Some are concerned that the next administration will slow down or cause other problems with the renewal process.

You are correct, in that thread, Molly contacted the ISP and they responded that the new experiation date will be the date it is renewed not the date on the CCL.

You are correct, in that thread, Molly contacted the ISP and they responded that the new experiation date will be the date it is renewed not the date on the CCL.

Yes, I believe I have read the same thing a few months ago when this was brought up then, however, the big change in the landscape is this new provision that your current permit will be extended IF you apply for the renewal before your current expiration date. That new provision is written clearly on these renewal letters without any time limitation. That's a pretty interesting new development which pretty much renders all concerns about getting the renewal approved, processed, and returned before your current expiration as everyone was worried about. Sounds like a great new development, Imho.

The way I'm reading it, you do the renewal application a reasonable number of days in advance of the expiration (don't cut it too close), complete the process, do a screen print, and put it in your wallet - Along with a copy of the ISP renewal letter, and you're good to go for the next 90 days PAST the expiration date. Provided I'm not missing anything, it doesn't make sense to rush to apply 3 - 4 months in advance at this point, right?

Sure, if you enjoy contributing even more dollars to the crooks in IL by accepting 4-3/4 year permits, you can certainly apply early and not deal with it, but for me, it's a principle thing. I'm not paying one dime of an extra taxes or fees that I don't have to. I mean jeez, isn't $250 for training and fees for 5 years enough already? If we were talking about the same Utah charges for renewals, a few months would be a non-issue of course.

Molly, care to add an opinion?? If this a safe line of thinking??

Thanks guys.

Yes, I believe I have read the same thing a few months ago when this was brought up then, however, the big change in the landscape is this new provision that your current permit will be extended IF you apply for the renewal before your current expiration date. That new provision is written clearly on these renewal letters without any time limitation. That's a pretty interesting new development which pretty much renders all concerns about getting the renewal approved, processed, and returned before your current expiration as everyone was worried about. Sounds like a great new development, Imho.

The way I'm reading it, you do the renewal application a reasonable number of days in advance of the expiration (don't cut it too close), complete the process, do a screen print, and put it in your wallet - Along with a copy of the ISP renewal letter, and you're good to go for the next 90 days PAST the expiration date. Provided I'm not missing anything, it doesn't make sense to rush to apply 3 - 4 months in advance at this point, right?

Sure, if you enjoy contributing even more dollars to the crooks in IL by accepting 4-3/4 year permits, you can certainly apply early and not deal with it, but for me, it's a principle thing. I'm not paying one dime of an extra taxes or fees that I don't have to. I mean jeez, isn't $250 for training and fees for 5 years enough already? If we were talking about the same Utah charges for renewals, a few months would be a non-issue of course.

Molly, care to add an opinion?? If this a safe line of thinking??

Thanks guys.

My concern would be having a police officer pull you over with an expired CCL, even though you applied. Not all officers know the law. I would also be concerned about being pulled over out of State with an expired Illinois CCL. I had a student call me this week who just has a FOID card, they were pulled over for having an unloaded firearm in their glove box They were arrested for Unlawful Use of a Weapon. I had to explain to their attorney Illinois Transportation laws. (they paid their attorney $1500.)

I'm cross-posting this from another thread I just posted to.

I received a scare in the mail yesterday. It was a letter from the Illinois State Police. Now, since I just sent in my renewal a week ago, my stomach jumped and I thought for sure this was a letter of rejection from God knows who!

It wasn't.

It was a letter reminding me my CCL was expiring soon and to get my renewal in. Which I already did. A week ago.

This stupid State.

I find it a little funny that people who are being notified are complaining they are being notified when previously people were asking if they thought the ISP would send out notifications. There are things to complain about and then there are things to complain about. 😉😉😉

The OP bfreeman used the letter as an opportunity to get around to scheduling a class tomorrow. So the letter worked for him.

Still wondering if the new expiration dates will be based on the original expiration date or 5 years from the new renewal date? Only lasting 5 years is bad enough but if they are twisting arms to get folks to renew early, they might be coercing people into 4-3/4 years.

Interesting however the mention of the extensions if you apply before the expiration date. Perhaps the hot ticket is to take the course and wait a couple of days before the expiration to upload.

Sure is going to be interesting to see how fast these renewals actually take and what dates they will be keying on.

Who knows what might happen in 120 days?

- I have the cash now.

- My Certification is all taken care of.

I imagine my renewal will take 90 days from the date of my renewal application. Since I renewed 119 days out, I expect to have a new card in hand about a month before the old one expires. In my mind, it is prudent to get it taken care of right away, rather than try to squeeze an extra month or 2 out of an expired license. My worrying about losing a month on my already too expensive 5 year license is an even bigger waste of my time... it's only 8.2 cents a day.

*I pay all my bills the day they arrive rather than planning around the due date... unless I've paid in advance.

Who knows what might happen in 120 days?

- I have the cash now.

- My Certification is all taken care of.

I imagine my renewal will take 90 days from the date of my renewal application. Since I renewed 119 days out, I expect to have a new card in hand about a month before the old one expires. In my mind, it is prudent to get it taken care of right away, rather than try to squeeze an extra month or 2 out of an expired license. My worrying about losing a month on my already too expensive 5 year license is an even bigger waste of my time... it's only 8.2 cents a day.

*I pay all my bills the day they arrive rather than planning around the due date... unless I've paid in advance.

Expanding on this point...If the website goes down, power goes out with a storm, you end up in the hospital or otherwise tied up without access to a computer and the documents you need...I'd err on the side of getting it done with plenty of time for the situation to rectify itself.

Archived