Shockwave Question

Windermere

Some Shockwaves are sold with pistol grips, and they are not NFA. All the ones sold with a pistol grip have 18" barrels, so the OAL is 26". If you put a pistol grip (without a brace) on one with a 14" barrel and the OAL drops under 26", that would make it an AOW (NFA).

There are braces for the Shockwave, mostly for ones with a 14" barrel. If you put a stock on the 14" version, it becomes an SBS (NFA). If you put a stock on the 18" version, it becomes a regular shotgun (not NFA). If you put a brace on the 14" or 18" version, it stays "firearm."

However, the most popular braces for the Shockwave are SB Tactical's, which have some ATF issues lately. I believe the Tac-14 brace is an SBA3, which is one of the ones in question. Personally, I'd wait for the drama to play out a bit more (or look for a non-SB brace with a letter, if there are any).

I would wait too. If you look at the latest video from mr guns and gear he talks about some prosecutor asking the atf about clarification on the sba3 on the shockwave. They wanted to tack on another charge on top of what they got him for. Atf said it was an sbs. Check the video out. Not sure how much truth there is on that but I’m just passing what was said.

Some Shockwaves are sold with pistol grips, and they are not NFA. All the ones sold with a pistol grip have 18" barrels, so the OAL is 26". If you put a pistol grip (without a brace) on one with a 14" barrel and the OAL drops under 26", that would make it an AOW (NFA).

There are braces for the Shockwave, mostly for ones with a 14" barrel. If you put a stock on the 14" version, it becomes an SBS (NFA). If you put a stock on the 18" version, it becomes a regular shotgun (not NFA). If you put a brace on the 14" or 18" version, it stays "firearm."

However, the most popular braces for the Shockwave are SB Tactical's, which have some ATF issues lately. I believe the Tac-14 brace is an SBA3, which is one of the ones in question. Personally, I'd wait for the drama to play out a bit more (or look for a non-SB brace with a letter, if there are any).

That is really a great detailed evaluation. Just what I was looking for. Thanks for the follow up.

I would wait too. If you look at the latest video from mr guns and gear he talks about some prosecutor asking the atf about clarification on the sba3 on the shockwave. They wanted to tack on another charge on top of what they got him for. Atf said it was an sbs. Check the video out. Not sure how much truth there is on that but I’m just passing what was said.

i'll check that out thanks.

I (or any other C2SOT) could register it as an AOW for you ($5.00 NFA transfer tax), transfer it back to you, and short of you putting an actual shoulder stock on it, you can do whatever you want to it.

Just a thought, downside is a 6 to 12 months NFA transfer wait.

After this whole SBT/ATF drama going on, I think I am leaning toward keeping the raptor grip on there.

I added an SB to my 410 Shockwave. Haven't fired it yet, but I'm assuming recoil to be negligible.

Legal purchases. I feel no obligation to comply with any ex post facto laws, let alone an ex post facto administrative rule making. The Constitution is Charmin to Democrats.

And make no mistake: most of the federal intelligence and LE agencies are still being run by Obama people, no matter who Trump appoints as the nominal head.

Think Yates, McCabe, Rosenstein, Page, Stryuk, Ohr ...

I added an SB to my 410 Shockwave. Haven't fired it yet, but I'm assuming recoil to be negligible.

Legal purchases. I feel no obligation to comply with any ex post facto laws, let alone an ex post facto administrative rule making. The Constitution is Charmin to Democrats.

And make no mistake: most of the federal intelligence and LE agencies are still being run by Obama people, no matter who Trump appoints as the nominal head.

Think Yates, McCabe, Rosenstein, Page, Stryuk, Ohr ...

yeah don't remind me lol

here is the rub, look up the definition of "destructive device" If the shockwave is not a shotgun, and its not a rifle, and its not an AOW, .... and it has a bore over .50 inches (as 20 ga on up is)....

Coming from this Reddit thread that seems to be very well written. Since there is a sporting purpose for 12Ga shells, it cannot be a destructive device.

(f) Destructive device. The term 'destructive device' means ... (2) any type of weapon by whatever name known which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, the barrel or barrels of which have a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter, except a shotgun or shotgun shell which the Secretary finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes..

Archived