Suspicious car outside my house...

mkhalil61

a CCL has NOTHING to do with this

I think he's trying to say if a person misjudged a situation and it turned violent that the person creating the confrontation in the eyes of the police would likely be charged thus putting that persons gun rights in jeopardy in this stupid state. That's why I just called the cops on the guys I saw in my neighborhood doing something that seems weird and out of place. I wasn't going to step in directly, particularly right outside my house so they know where to find me when I'm sleeping.

I'm not judging you. I don't blame you for doing something. It's just that some of us would do something different for reasons we find compelling.

no gun rights were put in jeopardy.

I WAS NOT CARRYING. it happened before the FCCA

i also live in a place where police don't respond for silly things like "suspicious parked vehicle."

i also live in a place where police don't respond for silly things like "suspicious parked vehicle."

Which means are lucky to be alive. Because there's really nothing suspicious about a car parked on a public street in broad daylight. If it had been a criminal with bad intentions you would be bleeding profusely one way or the other. Actually probably dead. You chased off some guy who was just finishing his lunch or a phone call. Your gun rights were not in jeopardy in your case because they don't apply to the dead. A violent criminal would have ran you over when you were writing down the license plate.

Then your paranoid neighbor could have texted THE POLICE, they would have shown up for that.

BTW: "a couple years ago a neighbor texted me that there was a guy sitting in a car on our block and had been there for about an hour. We suspected he was casing houses and observing times of entries and exits."

You were saying something about BEFORE THE FCCA?

The every changing story that the police and SA let you use to hang yourself.

Give it up already, your actions were stupid and you just wont admit it.

I remember reading somewhere about getting different results with honey versus vinegar.

How does that go again?

[/rhetorical]

This is America. I'm a law abiding citizen and can initiate a civil conversation with anybody whether they are in a car or not (no laws such as "Inciting a conversation" that I know of.) Do it all the time.

There is no law that says that you cannot park your car on a public street and mind your own business either w/o being bothered.

You cannot go and "so I grabbed my phone a sharpie marker and a piece of paper, went out and wrote the license plate down on the paper, walked up to the car, and showed the driver the letters and numbers of his own license plate and took a picture of him in the car."- for just being parked on a public street, because of any trouble arises from it, it will all be put on you. In legal terms it's called being the "initial aggressor".

That is not initiating a conversation, it is initiating a confrontation. Take it as you will but if that person has their window up, parked on a public street and you knock on it when you clearly don't know them, they roll their window down and tell you to go F yourself, guess who initiated the entire event? You did. Guess who gets charged as the "initial aggressor" if it gets out of hand? You do. When it's all said and done whatever happens you are the initial aggressor and will be charged as such. The other person is legally parked in a public place, minding their own business and YOU came up and interacted with them. They didn't want any interaction with you. They told you in a rude way to go away. Go away or face the possibility of being charged as the initial aggressor if it becomes a violent encounter.

Now if say you were walking your dog and they have their window open and you say "Nice Day". Same response, Go F yourself and they roll up the window. A smart person would just keep walking because the same rules apply. DONT knock on the window of the car. You initiated the event. However that event plays out, you are legally and criminally in the wrong. The person in his car was parked on a public street minding his own business. If you suspect that they are up to criminal activity the your LEGAL DUTY IS TO CALL THE POLICE.

If their window is rolled down AND they say "NICE DAY" back, well you might have made a friend who offers you some Taco Bell.

Why is this so hard to understand? Armed or not, if a violent confrontation arises from you initiating it, you cannot use Self Defense as an excuse. You are the initial aggressor even if you get beaten, run over or shot. It's your word against theirs and all they did was park their car on a public street and you didn't like it. In Beezils case the neighbor backs up this guys story. There are now two witnesses against you.

A person who was the initial aggressor cannot claim self-defense as justification and that's the LAW. It's a no win situation even with Beezils every changing story. Actually especially with his ever changing story. I could post IL Statute but I doubt that means anything with this nonsense. You and others think you are LEOs and you're not. Be prepared to face the legal consequences of your bad judgment.

Correct. No law against a person legally parking his car on a public street. And no law against me initiating a civil conversation. No need for escalation.

An unreasonable person would take those actions as a provocation and would be within their right to use force.
Wrong.

Sec. 7-1. Use of force in defense of person. (a) A person is justified in the use of force against another when and to the extent that he REASONABLY believes that such conduct is necessary to defend himself or another against such other's imminent use of unlawful force.

When we were younger sometimes we got too loud or rowdy on the street corners. The neighbors didn't call the cops, they just came out and told us it was time to move along.

Now that I'm a homeowner myself and someone is loud or rowdy, I come out and tell them to move along. They do.

That's how it's always been done here. That's how we do it. People who don't belong here are reminded that they aren't welcome. That's the status quo, my neighbors feel the same way. Some of us still burn leaves in the curb.

Like all neighborhoods it has changed a bit but the powers that be still run the town. The Italian pizzeria were most of us worked at one time or another is still there (think "Goodfellas") but doesn't do the business it once did. There was a changing of the guard, the old-timers have pretty much all died and the nephew who took over was not respected and still isn't.

As for the beatings and retaliations since the local PD didn't seem to have a problem with them I would say legal but actually there was pretty much an understanding. They didn't mess with us and in turn they ate for free or were lent money when needed. They didn't give our drivers tickets, there was a mutual respect. One of our drivers who had MS came back from a delivery and was visibly upset. When asked what was up, he was taunted and called names such as retard. They also didn't pay for their food. The pizzeria immediately closed and about 25 of us went to that house. For some reason that driver ended up with the biggest tip he ever got and those people apologized. They never ordered from us again. The police never were called. It was just the way it was.

Last year roughly 11,000 people had there FOID cards revoked and about 2000 CCLs were revoked since the ISP began issuing them. Do you honestly think that those people who were revoked were smart or EXTREMELY STUPID?

For you and any others I'm done writing about this nonsense. This was handled wrong plain and simple and could have easily ended up with revocation 11001 and 2001. I'm not a teenage punk anymore by a long shot but much more then a productive member of society. I live in an upscale suburb and even so a person has the right to park on a public street and not be bothered. My neighbor might not like it, you might not like, I don't really care but if the person is just sitting there and not getting out of the car they aren't breaking any laws. If you think they are up to no good you should call the Police. As much as they hate to hear it, you pay taxes so they can do their jobs. Part of their job is to investigate suspicious activity whether real or imagined.

Really I'm done writing about this, my take on it was it was not anybody's business but since they made it their business they went about it all wrong. Acting like a nut with a CCL (or not with the revised story) will always end up with you on the losing end. You just cant go and assert your authority? like you are the Police. Once last time, do you know why? Because you aren't the Police, you are a citizen with a CCL and nothing more. You do not have real power of arrest, you are not deputized, you cannot bother somebody who is doing nothing illegal. If you do, be prepared for the very severe consequences of what could happen. I'm done, write amongst yourselves.

Well since you're done, I'll have the last word, thanks.

You've assigned some sort of action to the post we've been discussing that didn't happen. A member simply stated that he took a picture and license number, and made sure the occupant of the car seen him do it. No guns, no threats, no intimidation. Just a simple conveyance of a message "I know who you are, and if you do something stupid, they'll find you."

Well, this train has gone off the tracks...

-- Frank

Speaking of which, there's breaking news of a train wreck in Tacoma Washington.

The "maiden voyage" of a new high-speed train from Seattle to Portland (IIRC) and it was doing 80 mph in an area that was limited to 30 mph. This stretch of track also did NOT that PTC (Positive Train Control) that could have slowed or stopped the train. Anybody wondering if the locals will call this train "Titanic"?? :no:

Well, this train has gone off the tracks...

-- Frank

Speaking of which, there's breaking news of a train wreck in Tacoma Washington.

The "maiden voyage" of a new high-speed train from Seattle to Portland (IIRC) and it was doing 80 mph in an area that was limited to 30 mph. This stretch of track also did NOT that PTC (Positive Train Control) that could have slowed or stopped the train. Anybody wondering if the locals will call this train "Titanic"?? :no:

No.

Only you!

Archived