Indiana Resident transporting a loaded weapon in Illinois

RobR369

If you are a legal carrier in your home state, it's legit. It has to stay in the car, though. Also, if you leave the car unattended (like if you really need a candy bar at a gas station or something), you have to unload the firearm and lock it in a separate compartment or other locking case.

Does not have to be unloaded, must be locked in vehicle. Jim.

If you are a legal carrier in your home state, it's legit. It has to stay in the car, though. Also, if you leave the car unattended (like if you really need a candy bar at a gas station or something), you have to unload the firearm and lock it in a separate compartment or other locking case.

Does not have to be unloaded, must be locked in vehicle. Jim.

I just double-checked. That's true. It just has to be enclosed in a container (trunk, box, or console) and locked, the same as for an IL CCL [430 ILCS 66/40(e) and 430 ILCS 66/65(b)].

The gun only has to stay in the vehicle if the vehicle is unattended. Define "unattended" please. I had a police officer taking one of my instructor classes that said: " If I can see my vehicle from the window in the restaurant then my vehicle is NOT unattended.

Just where does "unattended" stop? Can I pump gas?

Define "unattended" please. I had a police officer taking one of my instructor classes that said: " If I can see my vehicle from the window in the restaurant then my vehicle is NOT unattended.

ILCS uses the words "immediate area surrounding his or her vehicle." If you're outside that area, I'd consider the car to be unattended. Pumping gas should be fine.

As I've said before, cops aren't lawyers. They're especially not YOUR lawyer.

I am also not your lawyer. Feel free to ask an actual lawyer.

Define "unattended" please. I had a police officer taking one of my instructor classes that said: " If I can see my vehicle from the window in the restaurant then my vehicle is NOT unattended.

ILCS uses the words "immediate area surrounding his or her vehicle." If you're outside that area, I'd consider the car to be unattended. Pumping gas should be fine.

As I've said before, cops aren't lawyers. They're especially not YOUR lawyer.

I am also not your lawyer. Feel free to ask an actual lawyer.

THEN do you agree that your statement "It has to stay in the car" is misleading and incorrect?

Good Evening Everyone, Quick Question for you, I believe I remember hearing it was actually legal for a nonresident to carry a loaded weapon in the center console. Is there any truth to this or not?

From The Firearms Concealed Carry Act, Sec. 40. Non-resident license applications.

“ (e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:

(1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;

(2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and

(3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.

If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection ( b ) of Section 65 of this Act.

(Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13; 98-600, eff. 12-6-13; 99-78, eff. 7-20-15.) “

There is nothing here that says you cannot keep the gun holstered on your person if you are in the car. The center console is fine, also.

I think that this would also apply for a non-resident, also.

" ( b ) Notwithstanding subsections (a), (a-5), and (a-10) of this Section except under paragraph (22) or (23) of subsection (a), any licensee prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm into the parking area of a prohibited location specified in subsection (a), (a-5), or (a-10) of this Section shall be permitted to carry a concealed firearm on or about his or her person within a vehicle into the parking area and may store a firearm or ammunition concealed in a case within a locked vehicle or locked container out of plain view within the vehicle in the parking area. A licensee may carry a concealed firearm in the immediate area surrounding his or her vehicle within a prohibited parking lot area only for the limited purpose of storing or retrieving a firearm within the vehicle's trunk. For purposes of this subsection, "case" includes a glove compartment or console that completely encloses the concealed firearm or ammunition, the trunk of the vehicle, or a firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container."

Vehicle only has to be locked if it's a prohibited / no-carry zone.

Wow

So you’d leave a firearm in a unlocked car as long as the area was not a prohibited area. Say Jewel parking lot? Unlocked?

Am I reading that correctly?

You missed the part where the firearm in the unlocked car is, by implication, loaded and otherwise unsecured, but yes, you read that correctly.

(Disclaimer: not agreeing, just explaining.)

Good Evening Everyone, Quick Question for you, I believe I remember hearing it was actually legal for a nonresident to carry a loaded weapon in the center console. Is there any truth to this or not?

Well you got a lot "comments". The simple answer is yes, if they have a concealed carry license from their home state.

Thanks Mr. NRApistol dude.

Simple answer is yes. Ok.

Locked or unlocked automobile if exiting the same?

Well you got a lot "comments". The simple answer is yes, if they have a concealed carry license from their home state.

Thanks Mr. NRApistol dude.

Simple answer is yes. Ok.

Locked or unlocked automobile if exiting the same?

The OP asked about "carry a loaded weapon in the center console," He did NOT ask about storing the firearm in the vehicle or transport carrying. Dude

• 2 weeks later...

Archived