Photo

AR Mechanics Class

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 BigJim

• Members
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 04:00 PM

I was wondering if anyone runs a class around the Dundee (north of Elgin) area for first time AR owners that teaches how to field strip, clean, lube and reassemble an AR.  I'm not looking for a how to shoot it class, just a how to maintain it class.

Big Jim
-----------------------------------------
I will not be commanded,
I will not be controlled
And I will not let my future go on,
without the help of my soul

The Lost Boy - Greg Holden

#2 ScopeEye

• Supporting Members Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 04:53 PM

no need for class

go over to ar15.com

Illinois Carry Member

NRA Life Member

ISRA

#3 tnertb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:50 PM

no need for class

go over to ar15.com

or youtube

#4 GarandCollector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:23 PM

Uncle Sam taught me how to do this.

#5 Gamma

• Members
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 12:41 AM

Field strip and reassemble takes seconds, a class would be over pretty quickly. There are plenty of videos or it should be pretty easy to figure out on your own. If you have to use force, stop, you're doing something wrong.

A google image search for "AR15 lubrication points" will result in some easy cartoon graphics showing where to lube. Coincidently it also shows the disassembled bolt carrier group if that assists you in disassembly.
Illinois' FCCA is a prime example of the maxim that sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.

#6 speedbump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 12:57 AM

https://www.full30.c...2467f49f063b7e5
"J.J., you are an anomaly !" ~Mike Rowe~ aka: Mr. Molly

#7 Keith44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 01:59 AM

In defense of the original posters question, there are people that learn best by hands on instruction.

You can talk them through the procedure,
You can show them the procedure,
You can show them a video of the procedure,
But until they put hands on, and physically go through the procedure, they will not fully understand it.

-Keith.

NRA Life Member
..., the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. - 2nd Amendment of the United States Constitution

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Benjamin Franklin

#8 RacerDave6

• 3,354 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 09:38 AM

The CMP department at Aurora Sportsman's Club runs maintenance and cleaning clinics every year.
Open to the Public 2017 CMP Cleaning and Maintenance Classes in January, February, March & April 2017.
More info and registration info can be found here:
http://www.aurorasc....disciplines/cmp

Open to the Public
2017 CMP Cleaning and Maintenance Classes
M1 Garand - Saturday, January 7, 2017
M1 Carbine/M1A/M14 - Saturday, February 4, 2017
AR-15 Rifle - Saturday, March 4, 2017
Location: Clinton Township Community Center, 160 W. Lincoln Hwy (Rte. 30) in downtown Waterman, just west of the traffic light at Rte. 30 and Elm Street. Parking lot is across the street. Restaurants close by.
Cost will be $25 each (cash only - we cannot process credit cards at this location). We will supply all cleaning gear, lubricants and tools (but bring your own cleaning rod or bore snake if you can). Bring your own rifle/pistol. No ammunition. Proper disassembly, inspection, cleaning, lubrication and reassembly will be covered. Experienced competitors and collectors will be on hand to answer questions about your rifle.
Starting December 1, 2017 please RSVP at 312-315-0146 and leave a voice-mail message for the class(es) you wish to attend. Please clearly leave your name and phone number to confirm your reservation.

Any Cleaning Party participant joining the Aurora Sportsmen's Club within 60 days after the scheduled event will receive a $50 discount.

Any questions, call Frank Bernstein at 630-858-3332 or E-Mail at cmp@aurorasc.org
Firearms are not a talisman against evil. When used properly, they are an antidote to evil. T.Dunn

"Shoot the bad guy and keep shooting him until he stops doing whatever it
was that got him shot in the first place."

Match Director-IDPA at ASC
United States Riflemans Asscn instructor
NRA Certified instructor
NRA & ISRA member
Illinois Firearm Concealed Carry License instructor

#9 btownbb

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:42 PM

I don't know of any class but there is an hour long video youtube of how to assemble an AR. Breaks everything down through the lower and upper and every part and spring that goes into it.

#10 Uncle Harley

• Members
  • 6,042 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 03:08 PM

In defense of the original posters question, there are people that learn best by hands on instruction.

But until they put hands on, and physically go through the procedure, they will not fully understand it.

-Keith.

I get this, I'm a hands on learner,  but with that being said,  what can someone show you in person that you can't see in a video?     I watch videos all the time and follow along.  That way I can re-wind pause, etc and not frustrate anyone.    Granted some videos are better than others.   There is one out there where they assemble a clear lower and it REALLY helps to see what is going on. 

"A river cuts through a rock not because of its power but its persistence." - Jim Watkins

" Never argue with an idiot, passers by won't be able to tell you apart "- Grandpa

#11 BigJim

• Members
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 03:46 PM

-Keith.

what can someone show you in person that you can't see in a video?

Nothing.

The question is how can I ask a video a question like a live instructor?  How do I ask a video to show me a different view other then the views show in the video?  I like being able to ask someone why they did something the way they did or what would happen if I was to...  Can't do that with a video.

Big Jim
-----------------------------------------
I will not be commanded,
I will not be controlled
And I will not let my future go on,
without the help of my soul

The Lost Boy - Greg Holden

#12 Uncle Harley

• Members
  • 6,042 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 03:53 PM

-Keith.

what can someone show you in person that you can't see in a video?

Nothing.

The question is how can I ask a video a question like a live instructor?  How do I ask a video to show me a different view other then the views show in the video?  I like being able to ask someone why they did something the way they did or what would happen if I was to...  Can't do that with a video.

well you got that going for you with an instructor.   The thing I like about videos is I don't always see things the way other people do  so  I like to learn from multiple sources untill I find one that fits my style.  This gets expensive  when paying people for their opinion.  videos makes it cheap and easy to learn multiple ways.     That being said  if you are ever in the E central area,  Bring your gun, and bring some ammo   we can shoot it and I can show you how to disassemble and clean.

"A river cuts through a rock not because of its power but its persistence." - Jim Watkins

" Never argue with an idiot, passers by won't be able to tell you apart "- Grandpa

#13 Uncle Harley

• Members
  • 6,042 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 03:56 PM

Btw  here is an excelent video.   I believe he talks about basic wipe down cleaning and then goes further into field stripping and deep cleaning 

#14 drumgod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 04:21 PM

FWIW, of the youtube cleaning and maintenance vids I've seen, this one seems to be one of the more comprehensive:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users