Online Magazine sellers who will ship to Chicago

Glock19NR

Im having trouble finding an online retailer to ship a 15 round magazine to my address in Chicago. I am considering making a list here of who will and won't ship magazines to Chicago but I wonder if that might lead to the willing retailers being targeted and scrutinized. In any case a list of who won't ship should save some time and headaches.

I've been denied by

Brownells

CDNN

If you work out of chicano look for a member who will receive them for you near work.

I've taken delivery of stuff for several members and either met or left it on my porch for them.

One wasn't a Chicago problem but a wife one :pinch:

It's nice to have friends, but that sounds like a big legal hassle waiting to happen.

If you work out of chicano look for a member who will receive them for you near work.

I've taken delivery of stuff for several members and either met or left it on my porch for them.

It's nice to have friends, but that sounds like a big legal hassle waiting to happen.

There's no federal restrictions on magazines, and there's no restrictions anywhere that prohibit anyone from owning any type of magazines. There are restrictions (legal or not) on buying, selling, or possessing some magazines within a jurisdiction, but nothing says that someone who lives within that jurisdiction can't obtain those magazines and keep them outside of said jurisdiction. Possession is the violation, not ownership.

Magazines require no federal form 4473, no background check, no FOID card. There is no such thing as a magazine straw purchase.

So I am not really clear on what legal hassle you are talking about.

Most of the issues of not being able to get magazines shipped to (insert jurisdiction here) in Illinois are a result of sellers not being familiar with the current laws or lack thereof, not as a result of any laws that are on the books.

It's not even like an ammo purchase, which must be shipped to the buyer's home address (as indicated on their FOID card). If a buyer lives in Chicago and works in Lake County, there are no laws on the books that say they can't buy standard capacity magazines online and have them shipped to their work address. So why would there be any legal hurdle to having a friend outside the county buy the magazines for you and pass them on?

There's no federal restrictions on magazines, and there's no restrictions anywhere that prohibit anyone from owning any type of magazines. There are restrictions (legal or not) on buying, selling, or possessing some magazines within a jurisdiction, but nothing says that someone who lives within that jurisdiction can't obtain those magazines and keep them outside of said jurisdiction. Possession is the violation, not ownership.

Magazines require no federal form 4473, no background check, no FOID card. There is no such thing as a magazine straw purchase.

So I am not really clear on what legal hassle you are talking about.

Most of the issues of not being able to get magazines shipped to (insert jurisdiction here) in Illinois are a result of sellers not being familiar with the current laws or lack thereof, not as a result of any laws that are on the books.

It's not even like an ammo purchase, which must be shipped to the buyer's home address (as indicated on their FOID card). If a buyer lives in Chicago and works in Lake County, there are no laws on the books that say they can't buy standard capacity magazines online and have them shipped to their work address. So why would there be any legal hurdle to having a friend outside the county buy the magazines for you and pass them on?

I was thinking more of the possibility of a package falling into the wrong hands and the possible unclear status of ownership between shipping addressee and purchaser. If I thought it was illegal, I wouldn't be discussing how to do it on a public forum!

The only thing that straw purchase laws apply to is firearms. Everything else can be treated like any other widget you buy on Amazon.

If there's a deal on ammo, magazines, AR parts, etc. and the seller is unwilling to ship to you there isn't anything illegal about having a buddy who lives elsewhere from ordering the items for you and you paying them back. Or, aside from ammo, you could order them yourself and have them shipped a different address from your billing address.

Ideally you should shop at non-cowardly merchants who respect our rights but I can understand seeing a fantastic deal from one of these quisling companies and trying to find a work around.

The only thing that straw purchase laws apply to is firearms. Everything else can be treated like any other widget you buy on Amazon.

If there's a deal on ammo, magazines, AR parts, etc. and the seller is unwilling to ship to you there isn't anything illegal about having a buddy who lives elsewhere from ordering the items for you and you paying them back. Or, aside from ammo, you could order them yourself and have them shipped a different address from your billing address.

Ideally you should shop at non-cowardly merchants who respect our rights but I can understand seeing a fantastic deal from one of these quisling companies and trying to find a work around.

As we have seen reported in other threads some places have a policy of using your billing address to decide if they will ship to you or not.

Im a new gun owner so I'm really just trying to figure out whats best for me. As Bubbacs stated early on I think the best thing is to just develop a go

Just buy local
Less hassle and you might strike up a relationship with a great store

Good point. There are a couple locals that I have visited and enjoyed, but the convenience of delivery to my door is the right choice for me sometimes.

In the end I think I'm going to go this route. Local is almost always better. In the case that you have to order online then hopefully it's from a shop that will have the guts to ship to your address.

Thanks for the info and I agree about supporting shops that have the guts to ship to your address.

When I first got started at the academy one of the requirements was that we get six standard capacity mags for our duty weapon. I have a Glock 17 as my duty weapon so I tried to order 17-round Glock mags online and no one would ship them to me. I didn't even get my police recruit ID until I was a month into the academy, so those vendors that made exceptions for police still wouldn't accept my order. I just went to a suburban DuPage UPS store and rented a box. Two of my credit cards are registered to my UPS box address. I order whatever magazines I want and pretty much all my gun stuff gets shipped there except ammo (my DL and FOID card are required to bear a Chicago address because of my job). The UPS box also comes in handy around Christmastime when package thieves are going around looking for boxes on front porches.

I use my work address for anything I have shipped which keeps my shipments safe from thieves but doesn't solve my Chicago, Cook county address problem. Driving out of the county pretty much eliminates the convenience factor of ordering online. Are the deals you get that much better than local shops? Maybe the turnaround is faster than going through a shop?

I use my work address for anything I have shipped which keeps my shipments safe from thieves but doesn't solve my Chicago, Cook county address problem. Driving out of the county pretty much eliminates the convenience factor of ordering online. Are the deals you get that much better than local shops? Maybe the turnaround is faster than going through a shop?

It's convenient for me because the UPS store I go to is less than a mile away from family whom I visit quite often. Your mileage may vary.

It's convenient for me because the UPS store I go to is less than a mile away from family whom I visit quite often. Your mileage may vary.

makes sense.

I am in exactly the same boat: live in the city and work downtown. One thing I have done is order ammo from Brownells. They ship FedEx ground to your FOID / DL address. HOWEVER, FedEx will allow you to have a package held for pickup at any FedEx store, of which there a million in the Loop. This way, my ammo shipments are not left sitting on my porch at home and effectively shipped to my work address.

This, in no way, addresses our magazine problem, but for that, I just buy them at Maxon's when I go out there to shoot.

The deals are far better, especially when buying in bulk. The cost per round when ordering 1,000 rounds is going to be significantly lower. Plus if they are centerfire cartridges you'll save $50 on top of that since the Cook County ammo tax won't apply.

Make friends with someone outside of the City (even better if they're outside Cook County) and have them order ammo for you. Once they receive it plan a visit to pick the ammo up and pay them back. Then buy them a beer for their trouble.

Archived