Photo

Oral Arguments For Guns save lives V. Zahra Ali

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 FoxtrotIndia

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 02:59 PM

Judge - "... Also how do you justify a tax on the fundamental Second Amendment right"

Lawyer - "Well your honor, when we look at the fundamental right unlike the fundamental rights, the right to free speech, right to religion, right to vote, this funda....this right before us now is subject to the conditions and qualifications.  They set that forth in Heller and the conditions and qualifications of commercial sale of firearms.  And that's what we have here, that it is only a or a qualification and as such it does not trigger the strict scrutiny.  As we look at all the courts across the country, if the courts wanted to treat the Second Amendment as a fundl right... as a  fundamental right, they would imply strict scrutiny and there are no courts that are doing that.  So, and if Heller wanted to have treated this as a fundamental right, which it didn't because it specifically uhm, just..." 

Judge - "So you're saying it's not a fundamental right?"

Lawyer - "It's not a fundamental right."

Someone? "Wh..What isn't, the Second Amendment?" 

Lawyer - "The Second Amendment is not a fundamental right.  Cause if it was it would be subject to strict scrutiny and as you can see here it clearly should be, if anything, intermediate scrutiny.  

Me - "My head...it hurts..."

Timestamp is ~39m 30s

https://multimedia.i...0_1-18-1846.mp3

Edited by FoxtrotIndia, 24 January 2020 - 02:59 PM.

#2 Molly B.

IllinoisCarry spokesperson

• 16,638 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 05:12 PM

It does make the head hurt, they have to really twist that logic to fit their argument!!  There is a discussion of this case over at this link:  http://illinoiscarry...showtopic=73946

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

#3 ragsbo

• Members
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 07:18 PM

You have to be a special kind of liar to do what some of the lawyers do! (Not all, but you know who I am talking about)

#4 Raw Power

• Members
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 08:19 PM

Wow...

#5 JTHunter

• Members
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 10:09 PM

:devil: This reminds me of the old joke on how to tell the difference between a lawyer and a carp.

One is a dirt-sucking bottom feeder and the other is a fish. :devil:  :rofl:

“We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.” - - Abraham Lincoln

“Small minds adhere to the letter of the law; great minds dispense Justice.” - - S. C. Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes

Life member NAHC, Endowment member NRA

#6 kevinmcc

• Members
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 10:56 PM

I can't believe there are lawyers out there ready to sell out their own rights for money...

Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, NRA
Life Member, Oath Keepers
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation

#7 kevinmcc

• Members
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 11:49 PM

The courts and opposing lawyer are amazing if you can argue marriage which is not a constitutional right is a fundamental right that gets strict scrutiny, but the 2A is not a fundamental right and does not get strict scrutiny.

giphy.gif

Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, NRA
Life Member, Oath Keepers
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users