Can lame duck legislation be passed to new governor? JBP to sign 1/17

InterestedBystander

This is where lawyers will need to jump in, because as far as I can see, there is nothing to prevent this from happening.

Unless any bill not completed dies at the end of a session which is what I always understood but apparently that isnt called out.

Per CapFax article on this today, from the ISRA:

...Rest assured, we will be challenging this new law in court...

According to the Illinois Constitution, didn’t they have to send it to the Gov 30 days after it was passed to get it to Rauner in 2018 and NOT freeze it?

SECTION 9. VETO PROCEDURE

(a) Every bill passed by the General Assembly shall be

presented to the Governor within 30 calendar days after its

passage. The foregoing requirement shall be judicially

enforceable. If the Governor approves the bill, he shall sign

it and it shall become law.

From - The Illinois Constitutionhttp://www.ilga.gov/commission/lrb/conent.htm

If you look at the actions of a bill that becomes law, there are separate entries recorded for the successful vote and that the bill passed both houses. The procedural trickery Sen. Cullerton used after the successful vote delayed the recording of the bill's passage until January 8. That would appear to be the starting point of the 30 day countdown, not the recording of the vote itself. The bill was sent to the governor yesterday, well within the 30 day window.

This is where lawyers will need to jump in, because as far as I can see, there is nothing to prevent this from happening.

I hope the lawyers do get involved, and I pray the Senate gets its rear end handed to it!

Unless any bill not completed dies at the end of a session which is what I always understood but apparently that isnt called out.

Per CapFax article on this today, from the ISRA:

...Rest assured, we will be challenging this new law in court...

That's why the lawyers are needed. AFAIK there is nothing in the Constitution that explicitly says a bill not completed dies at the end of the session. Illinois doesn't have a pocket veto process like the Federal Government does.

It will be terribly ironic if a political party that is known for its loose and living interpretation of a Constitution suddenly decides to apply a strict interpretation to get an advantage.

And remember the ONLY reason it got this far was the Springfield Armory and Rock River made a deal to let it out of committee. Without them, this would have died a long time ago. With friends like them, who needs enemies?

While true, they addressed this. Either way, Their lobbyists were total a-holes.

So, as a liberal (or leftist), what’s your take on JB’s administration and the new GA? Not an attack btw.

Will solve nothing but fudds need some pain...it is time the fudds begin to feel a little heat over there semi auto turkey and duck gun.....congrats fudds...you soon to be in possession of an assault weapon.....isra and lawsuit..yea right...no chance in heck

The fudds are asleep and don't even know that their semi automatic shotguns are classified as "assault weapons" and that the Democrats want to ban them. They will get a rude awakening.

And remember the ONLY reason it got this far was the Springfield Armory and Rock River made a deal to let it out of committee. Without them, this would have died a long time ago. With friends like them, who needs enemies?

This was coming out of committee no matter what.

He is making excuses for his fellow Democrats.

This was coming out of committee no matter what.

He is making excuses for his fellow Democrats.

Wish they would realize the Dems in power DO ACTUALLY want their guns too

..."Pritzker said he wants Illinois to outlaw bump stocks and trigger cranks this year, as well as put more money toward social services. But he said I dont know that lawmakers would push for a ban on assault weapons this year."...

..."Despite Pritzkers call for further legislation targeting what he calls weapons of war, the governor declining on Thursday to embrace a ban on assault weapons could be a reflection of the complicated politics surrounding gun laws in Illinois where lawmakers often split over geography, in addition to party. For example, Senate Republican leader Bill Brady of Bloomington voted against the gun dealer licensing bill that became law Thursday. House Republican leader Jim Durkin of Western Springs voted for it."...

Archived