Another Madigan Power Grab

Lou

From today's Tribune: Madigan is pushing to make it harder to override a governor's veto. Make no mistake, this is another power grab by Madigan to rule Illinois with his iron fist getting even more metal in it. He's disguising this power grab under the guise of "pension reform" but it give his governor, who is just a Madigan puppet, even more power. If this were to pass it would make it even harder to pass a RTC law in Madiganistan.

Madigan's measure also would require a two-thirds[67%] vote for lawmakers to override a governor's veto or accept a governor's proposed changes in a rewrite of pension increase legislation. Currently, it takes a three-fifths [60%] vote to override an outright veto and only a simple major

Read the entire story here: Tribune Story

Welcome to PRI, The Peoples Republic of Illinois

Please turn in your rights and freedoms at the door.

Enjoy a nice stay of corruption and violence.

Do not forgot to praise our "Dear Leaders" at least once a day for their hard work.

Just call us North Korea/China Jr.

Just in time for the carry bills to be voted on. What a coincidence!

As far as I can tell from reading the article, this would only affect state pensions, not other bills that the governor may veto.

That's the way I read it too...

Whatever the case may be, the states' pension system is one of Illinois' biggest budget woes. And if Speaker Madigan wants to make it harder to override a governor's veto, I doubt that he hopes to FIX the pension dilemma.

Granted, the purpose of this board is RTC in Illinois - and to a lesser point protecting our 2A freedoms. But looking at the big picture, this will only increase the chances for Illinois' future budget problems. Which always seems to translate into budget cuts that INCREASE crime and not decrease it. And with more crime - that can only translate into more criminals.

I thought the 67% income tax increase was supposed to fix the pension fund. Oh wait wasn't the money he borrowed to balance the budget to pay off that. Oh wait wasn't the gambling stuff supposed to take care of that.

If Madigan gets a 2/3 vote this year he will be back in a year or two wanting to change the rules to 3/4 vote the next time. It IS all about control and Chicago rules.

When will you fools get that thru your thick sculls? :shocked:

Smart a%% keys turned off

I thought the 67% income tax increase was supposed to fix the pension fund. Oh wait wasn't the money he borrowed to balance the budget to pay off that. Oh wait wasn't the gambling stuff supposed to take care of that.

If Madigan gets a 2/3 vote this year he will be back in a year or two wanting to change the rules to 3/4 vote the next time. It IS all about control and Chicago rules.

When will you fools get that thru your thick sculls? :shocked:

Smart a%% keys turned off

It's more important to know who got voted off of "Idol."

Just in time for the carry bills to be voted on. What a coincidence!

As far as I can tell from reading the article, this would only affect state pensions, not other bills that the governor may veto.

Powergrab always starts like that - little by little. Today they use state pensions, tomorrow they use that as a precedent for something else, and so forth.

Archived