ISP has now created a firearms registry

steveTA84

From what I understand Missouri failed to update the federal database and the Illinois database checks what? Then to add insult to injury he lied on his paperwork and said he was never convicted of a felony.

I read a Tribune or SunTimes article that stated the ISP checks multiple 'private' law enforcement databases and nothing came up, but the paper pointed out that when they checked their go to 'public' database that anyone can run his name against, his felony popped right up.

No worries though the FBI added his felony conviction to their database a few days after the shooting, so we are safe now!

HEre is the story bhind FTIP.

Illinois was one fo the first states do pas their own background check system. This was being done to head off some of the early versions of the brady bill.

The bill was passed as an add on to the FOID act with the idea being that once the check system was implace to repela the FOID card.

State Police put the system together and someone got the bright idea to warehouse the data.

So they have the date it was called in. the delaer that called it in (an ID number that goes with your account), the type of firearm , handgun, long gun, frame, taser and then the transaction number. I have spent over a decade trying to burn this thing to the ground. But something always gets in the way and now post Aurora I feel it will be next to impossible.

I know people who are buying guns off paper in many different ways. And if you ever bought a gun from me in a private sale, I go through my records and burn them when ever one is older than 10 years. When I move to another state I will light them all on fire and if asked I will say I sold it to someone with a FOID card, because that's what I did.

Thanks for the history lesson.

Why would Aurora make a difference?

From what I understand Missouri failed to update the federal database and the Illinois database checks what? Then to add insult to injury he lied on his paperwork and said he was never convicted of a felony.

How is FOID helping here other than a false sense of security? What if he went out of state and did the same thing and brought the gun back with him?

We know that gangs make out of state purchases. https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-guns-gangs-chicago-violence-20180517-story.html

My mistake it was Missippi that may have dropped the ball.

“His conviction didn’t show up until 2 decades later”?

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/02/22/gary-martin-aurora-mass-shooting-foid-card-mississippi-conviction/

I don't think anyone is particularly worried about the ISP, but more the radicals like Dart who will absolutely go overboard if given half a chance.

The ISP doesn't want Dart telling them what to do. If you notice, we haven't heard a peep out of him all week.

I didn't suggest Dart would dictate anything to the ISP. More, that Dart will take the opportunity to go overboard to further his own Anti-2A agenda.

I didn't suggest Dart would dictate anything to the ISP. More, that Dart will take the opportunity to go overboard to further his own Anti-2A agenda.

What Dart wants requires legislation. I don't think he's getting any since the ISP's new policy. Dart's not gonna like the liaison officer telling him what he can or can't do and how things are to be done, etc.

It would be scary if he would ever get some of what he wants and then eventually everything he wants.

What Dart wants requires legislation. I don't think he's getting any since the ISP's new policy. Dart's not gonna like the liaison officer telling him what he can or can't do and how things are to be done, etc.

It would be scary if he would ever get some of what he wants and then eventually everything he wants.

Perhaps you missed the newsflash earlier about him sending his goons into another frigging country to harass a lawful gun owner and attempt at a confiscation? He is already on the FOID card revocation task force mission. Of course this POS is going to stretch the limits every way imaginable. He's just dying for another chitcan piece of anti-legislation to leverage to further his crusade.

ScottFM, on 08 Mar 2019 - 1:12 PM, said:snapback.png

The problem I see is that the database the ISP has may have very bad data. For instance, I buy an AR from a store. The ISP has a record of that purchase. But then I sell the AR via a personal sale. The ISP does not have a record of that sale

The ISP has a general idea of what you may have in your possession. Todd called it a "guestimation".

In your example above, the ISP doesn't know you purchased an AR. They just know the transaction was for a long gun. You could have purchased several long guns under the same transaction number too. They don't know that.

So it’s a good idea to keep those old crappy single shot shotguns you inherited from grandpa. Those are long guns, so those are the ones you purchased, if asked.

Well then I don't understand why you seem to be at odds with my comment that Dart has the propensity to over reach his authority to the determent of law abiding gun owners? But whatever.

WAIT .

Felons (American Citizens - Shall Not be Infringed) cant have firearms?

But

Illegal Aliens (non-Citizens) can Vote ?????

Seems like a Civil Rights Violation to me !

Actually it was a sticking point with some Dem's, including AOC on the further left last gun bill.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/bethbaumann/2019/03/03/a-house-divided-ocasio-cortez-chides-fellow-dems-for-their-pro-ice-gun-policy-n2542501

It was written in that if an illegal immigrant bought a gun ICE would be notified.

So all we have to do is make the 2nd ammendment apply to immigrants and the left will finally not infringe.

Of course I'm a green card amnesty supporter and believe anyone in this country should be able to own a gun. But I'm probably a little too far left on some issues and too far right on others for most people here.

Some of the more progressive types are waking up that gun control puts them at odds with justice reform and immigration amnesty. That's not necessarily a bad thing because we need support on the left, even if they aren't aligned with anything else you believe in.

Heres the big picture: lets say SB107 passes. State police already knows what you have. You dont pay the $25 fee/tax and declare everything that falls under the bill, youll get a knock and a confiscation and be a felon

SB337 was the doorway, now the ISP is creating a registry even before SB337 is rolling out

THey know you have a long gun bought from an FFL (assuming you did) that is ist. It iisn't probable cause that it is a restricted item, even if SB107 passes. OLong gun /= whats in SB107

Heres the big picture: lets say SB107 passes. State police already knows what you have. You dont pay the $25 fee/tax and declare everything that falls under the bill, youll get a knock and a confiscation and be a felon

SB337 was the doorway, now the ISP is creating a registry even before SB337 is rolling out

I get what you mean, The ISP know when and where you bought a firearm ( FTIP ) they know if it's a long gun or handgun. they would have to go snooping / "inspecting" at the dealer ( SB337 ) you bought it at and get the exact make model and S/N and if it's banned ( SB107 ) they would then have to check and see if you registered it. If no registration you're concerned they will come after the person to get the gun and make an arrest. that could very well happen and worries most of us. On the bright side we have several things in our favor....

1) The ISP is underfunded and under staffed which would drastically slow down doing all that leg work. Plus they can't answer a phone or renew anything in a timely manner. the agency is a an Illinois bureaucratic nightmare that keeps getting more to do from the ILGA.

2) The pile of FTIP records going back for decades has to be a mile high and how many would lead to showing a person bought an SB107 covered firearm vs. anything else ? how much time would this waste / take ? see # 1 again.

3) How many people have sold or traded the banned firearm to an FFL, pawn shop, at a gun show or to a private party pre FOID call in ? They no longer have the gun so a new hunt would have to begin to go after where it is and who has it now. multiple owners would really add time. if that person died who has it now ? another hunt begins. if the current newest owner left the state with the gun it's a big dead end waste of time.

4) The original owner still has the gun and get's tracked down but claims the gun is at some cabin out of state and doesn't have to prove squat and a search warrant finds nothing. another dead end.

5) the original owner has the gun stashed at grannies house, in the attic behind 50 years of old junk and granny doesn't know about it and has no police record so she can't help. The ISP would have to trace the persons ties to everyone they know and investigate everyone along the way. no gun and no evidence so this is another big dead end.

6) The FFL went out of business so all records went to ATF. Unless the ATF wants to comb threw all those for every FTIP on every person that ever bought anything that goes nowhere. with no other crimes especially federal I doubt the ATF will be all helpful with this.

Although anything is possible I would imagine a person would get a scary "we know what you have" letter demanding they register or turn it in. In the event they do go all Gestapo and start doing visits we have the advantage there too by using this time we have to plan for such things and making sure we have nothing to find. and also have a plan B. Every FOID card holder may get a letter if the state can barrow money for stamps.

BTW : In other places the Gov't often has an amnesty period for all those that didn't register or turn anything in by the earlier deadline date. they graciously will forgive you if you comply now. that just screams "this is a big flop and we can't find you so please help us by ratting yourself out". I picture that in Illinois !!!!

My sister has a big farmhouse in Iowa. I'm going to rent an unused room from her and have a gun safe delivered there. Every time I visit her I will take a few guns with me.

Take that Illinois!

and what will you do when Iowa does the same nonsense??????? personally 80% lowers are looking better and better every day

I don't think Iowa has the same zombie voter problem Illinois does so Iowa will probably be ok for a long time.

1) The ISP is underfunded and under staffed which would drastically slow down doing all that leg work. Plus they can't answer a phone or renew anything in a timely manner. the agency is a an Illinois bureaucratic nightmare that keeps getting more to do from the ILGA.

This is obviously more important than issuing FOIDs and FCCPs so the ISP will simply pull anyone and everyone assigned to FOID and FCCP duty and put them on tracking down guns and gun owners. That solves two problems at one time (fewer gun owners and more people to track down things).

One thing Iowa has going for it is no huge cities infested with leftist leeches. I don't think Des Moines is big enough to outvote the rest of the state, like Chicago does to IL.

They might be good for a while yet, at least until the next leftist president gets in.

Every state with a huge city has the same problem, they outvote the rest of the state. Even Texas is having issues with Austin leading the charge.

TX is still WAY better off than we are here, though. But the left is actively trying to change TX "blue" and they make no bones about it. It's right out there for all to see.

One thing Iowa has going for it is no huge cities infested with leftist leeches. I don't think Des Moines is big enough to outvote the rest of the state, like Chicago does to IL.

They might be good for a while yet, at least until the next leftist president gets in.

Every state with a huge city has the same problem, they outvote the rest of the state. Even Texas is having issues with Austin leading the charge.

TX is still WAY better off than we are here, though. But the left is actively trying to change TX "blue" and they make no bones about it. It's right out there for all to see.

How many leftists are ruining the states they flee only to start doing it all over again in the new state ? Commiefornia is a great example. I hope Texas wakes up real fast before it get's worse.

G214me - you have several good scenarios in your long post (#47) but one you didn't mention. As something like this has already happened in NJ or MD because of a fraudulent "red flag" call to the authorities, one man is dead. I'm concerned that, if the authorities try to confiscate firearms under these questionable laws, there will be even more fatalities on BOTH sides of the door.

So how many people will sell a gun that's over 10 years legally anymore, I suspect the black market of firearms will explode.

I have this 11 year old firearm, hand me the cash and walk away I sold it 10 year ago and burned the paperwork. I have no idea where it is. (LEGALLY)

I'm not saying I would but if they require you to register any firearm that can accept a over a 10 round magazine I suspect a whole lot of firearms are going black and never coming back. (No I'm not saying it I don't want to get banned)

Archived