Madigan creates 20-member gun violence task force

InterestedBystander

https://www.politico.com/f/?id=0000016d-3c67-d547-a36f-7fff7ea20000"]https://www.politico.com/f/?id=0000016d-3c67-d547-a36f-7fff7ea20000

Dear Mr. Clerk:

Pursuant to House Rule 13.5, today I am establishing the House Firearm Public Awareness Task Force, which will review the issue of gun violence and make recommendations designed to reduce violence. The number of majority and minority appointments for the task force is indicated below. These majority appointments are effective immediately.

House Firearm Public Awareness Task Force

House Majority Appointments 10 members

House Minority Appointments 10 members

Representative La Shawn K. Ford, Chair

Representative Monica Bristow

Representative Sonya M. Harper

Representative Barbara Hernandez

Representative Yehiel Kalish

Representative Stephanie A. Kifowit

Representative Theresa Mah

Representative Martin J. Moylan

Representative Aaron M. Ortiz

Representative Kathleen Willis

I recall it being noted that the elephant is actually a race horse designed by a committee.

We have NEVER had a 'gun' violence problem in America, we have a thug culture, gang banger, criminal violence problem.

But that too has NEVER been the problem vote hungry legislators choose to tackle. We'll sooner see wacko Pfleger chastise HIS parishioners for their and their kids' criminal activities that turn Englewood into Fallujah.

Six million comedians out of work, and here you are making jokes....... Willis needs some back up for her anti-rights tirades.
“I think about it all the time,” Ford said of the shootings that plague his community. “That’s why I’m working with a concealed carry instructor and we’re going to go through the neighborhood and we’re going to encourage people to get their concealed carry license because it makes no sense for people not to have the protections that they need.” https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/after-shooting-chicago-democrat-advocates-residents-get-guns-and-carry-permits/

Six million comedians out of work, and here you are making jokes.......

Willis needs some back up for her anti-rights tirades.

I think about it all the time, Ford said of the shootings that plague his community. Thats why Im working with a concealed carry instructor and were going to go through the neighborhood and were going to encourage people to get their concealed carry license because it makes no sense for people not to have the protections that they need.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/after-shooting-chicago-democrat-advocates-residents-get-guns-and-carry-permits/

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I wouldn't trust the man after his abrupt 180 on rights a couple of years ago. Let him prove beyond doubt that he's pro-rights, and then we'll see.

Wait, LaShawn Ford is pro carry now, right?

Six million comedians out of work, and here you are making jokes.......

Willis needs some back up for her anti-rights tirades.

“I think about it all the time,” Ford said of the shootings that plague his community. “That’s why I’m working with a concealed carry instructor and we’re going to go through the neighborhood and we’re going to encourage people to get their concealed carry license because it makes no sense for people not to have the protections that they need.” https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/after-shooting-chicago-democrat-advocates-residents-get-guns-and-carry-permits/

I think he's like any other politician: he's pro-votes. For constituents who want to own guns legally, he'll help them get FOIDs and CCLs. For constituents who want to blame guns for crime, he'll support anti-gun legislation. That way, everyone can vote for him.

Representative Kifowit is pretty reliably against us. It may be she was allowed to avoid votes that would have been problematic for her, on bills having enough votes without her.

Representative Ford seems to want someone to think of him as pro-2A. Maybe he sees himself as pro-2A. When push comes to shove, though, we he votes as a Chicago Democrat.

Prompted by recent mass shootings across the country and gun violence in Illinois, the General Assembly formed a task force to examine whether state laws need to be changed — and this is hardly an area with any "easy" subjects to start with.

The first issue lawmakers plan to wrestle is the bail bonds system that's pitted reform-minded Cook County officials against Chicago's mayor and police who worry that inmates with histories of gun violence are being released back on the streets.

"Everyone says they have the statistics that show they're right to make the streets safer. So we're going to debate the issue and do everything we can with the discussion," state Rep. La Shawn Ford (8th ), who will head the bipartisan House Firearm Public Awareness Task Force, told Playbook.

House Speaker Mike Madigan announced the task force in a letter to Clerk of the House John Hollman and Republican Leader Jim Durkin. According to Madigan, the task force "will review the issue of gun violence and make recommendations designed to reduce violence."

By design, the group is bipartisan: Madigan named 10 Democrats to the task force, and a spokesman for Durkin told Playbook that he's in the process of naming 10 Republicans. "Everyone has their beliefs of gun policies and how we should restrict or not restrict gun rights," Ford said. "This will be an open and honest discussion, where gun-rights advocates can speak their truth and where those who have disagreements with the Second Amendment can speak, too."

Ford says he's particularly concerned with how schools, hospitals and other public areas have been the targets of gun violence.

Along with bail reform, the task force will study Illinois' concealed carry firearm law to see if it needs to be modified. Ford said "there's a concern" that gun violence has gone up since the law was enacted in 2013.

And lawmakers will examine guns that are on the market, specifically assault rifles. "Nationally, we're [even] hearing Republicans say we have to do something about these assault rifles," said Ford. "This is something we'll seriously consider in Illinois."

The task force will present its findings to all branches of government and offer opinions to municipalities. Ford said the task force likely will draft a comprehensive, statewide omnibus bill on firearms.

Along with Ford, the Democrats on the task force are Reps. Monica Bristow (111th), Sonya Harper (6th), Barbara Hernandez (83rd), Yehiel "Mark" Kalish (16th), Stephanie Kifowit (84th), Theresa Mah (2nd), Martin Moylan (55th), Aaron Ortiz (1st) and Kathleen Willis (77th).

Archived