Legislative Plan

Anyone in the know care to share the probability of actually accomplishing anything legislatively this year, now that the Shephard ship has sailed. I know we have appealed. We are years away from that result, which give Barack Obama even more time to pack all the courts with more antis. What I am asking about is will we still have a vote on CCW now that there is seemingly little pressure from the courts. Also, I know it has been hashed and re-hashed but what about CCW for all counties but Cook, and then we work our way up to full blown statewide? If we don't get our foot in the door sometime soon and Barack Obama gets re-elected, and SCOTUS flips, we are definitely going to remain the one and only state that NEVER has CCW. Wouldn't it be better if we had a start or something to build on rather than nothing?

Anyone in the know care to share the probability of actually accomplishing anything legislatively this year, now that the Shephard ship has sailed. I know we have appealed. We are years away from that result, which give Barack Obama even more time to pack all the courts with more antis. What I am asking about is will we still have a vote on CCW now that there is seemingly little pressure from the courts. Also, I know it has been hashed and re-hashed but what about CCW for all counties but Cook, and then we work our way up to full blown statewide? If we don't get our foot in the door sometime soon and Barack Obama gets re-elected, and SCOTUS flips, we are definitely going to remain the one and only state that NEVER has CCW. Wouldn't it be better if we had a start or something to build on rather than nothing?

While there may be a few legislators who are true ideologues, the majority of them - even the fiercest antis - will swap their positions in a heartbeat if they think it's necessary to keep their job.

As such, it's of the utmost importance that you, and I, and everyone else take every opportunity possible to inform and educate the citizens of IL about the denial of their rights, and help ensure our cause becomes their cause as well.

More and more people becoming more and more vocal about RTC in IL will turn the tide and allow a legislative solution to become possible.

And if you're not the advocating type, I created an educational/"advocational" website for precisely this purpose, so feel free to send the link to anyone you know: http://protectillinois.org/ Or if you have other educational methods or materials, use whatever you have at your disposal.

But the bottom line is, we need to make RTC an issue that no legislators want to be on the wrong side of.

. . . what about CCW for all counties but Cook, and then we work our way up to full blown statewide? . . .

What did we do to deserve being thrown under the bus? Why, because I live in Cook County, should I be denied my 2A rights?

I purchase fuel for my car in DuPage County. I take the train to downtown from a station in DuPage, I shop in DuPage, I attend Church in DuPage but I live in Schaumburg. I have wanted the RTC all of my life. I have waited over 50 years for my Civil Right to carry a pistol for personal protection to be restored. Often throughout my life (because I live in liberal land) I have been subject to ridicule because of my outspoken position on concealed carry and 2A. I have endured years of verbal assaults and labeled a “redneck or radical” or worse. I hate the politics of this county. The corruption is an endless source of material for comedians, journalists and prosecutors. Yet I love the area where I live because it is where I was born and raised. My family is here, it is MY HOME.

To come this far in our effort to restore our Constitutional Right and suggest that “we cut our losses” and abandon Cook County feels like my wife asking for a divorce. I have NO intention of giving up this fight. There are things I don’t like about Cook County. There are things I don’t like about some of my family members. I would never cast out a family member because I disagreed with them.

You might say I’m making this personal. Yes I am. Our soldiers didn’t die to defend the freedoms of the entire country except Cook County. If I was and am willing to lay down my life to defend this land then it doesn’t get any more personal than that.

This is about restoring the Civil Right to all, not “What can I get out of this for myself and screw the rest of you.”

Really, “then we work our way up to full blown statewide”. It’s been 50 years to get to this point. How much longer for the rest of us if we take your suggestion? If you take what you can get, then that is all you will ever have.

. . . what about CCW for all counties but Cook, and then we work our way up to full blown statewide? . . .

What did we do to deserve being thrown under the bus? Why, because I live in Cook County, should I be denied my 2A rights?

I purchase fuel for my car in DuPage County. I take the train to downtown from a station in DuPage, I shop in DuPage, I attend Church in DuPage but I live in Schaumburg. I have wanted the RTC all of my life. I have waited over 50 years for my Civil Right to carry a pistol for personal protection to be restored. Often throughout my life (because I live in liberal land) I have been subject to ridicule because of my outspoken position on concealed carry and 2A. I have endured years of verbal assaults and labeled a "redneck or radical" or worse. I hate the politics of this county. The corruption is an endless source of material for comedians, journalists and prosecutors. Yet I love the area where I live because it is where I was born and raised. My family is here, it is MY HOME.

To come this far in our effort to restore our Constitutional Right and suggest that "we cut our losses" and abandon Cook County feels like my wife asking for a divorce. I have NO intention of giving up this fight. There are things I don't like about Cook County. There are things I don't like about some of my family members. I would never cast out a family member because I disagreed with them.

You might say I'm making this personal. Yes I am. Our soldiers didn't die to defend the freedoms of the entire country except Cook County. If I was and am willing to lay down my life to defend this land then it doesn't get any more personal than that.

This is about restoring the Civil Right to all, not "What can I get out of this for myself and screw the rest of you."

Really, "then we work our way up to full blown statewide". It's been 50 years to get to this point. How much longer for the rest of us if we take your suggestion? If you take what you can get, then that is all you will ever have.

all that +1

I think a good move to put pressure on the antis to do something positive for the people is to start making phone calls for the antis opponents right now by calling the voters in their area on issues....they will get wind of calls being made. The State is in such a mess that they are looking for something good to give the people so they look good. Guess what, CC is something they can give the people and it will look good (especially as we are educating and informing the voters in their area with townhalls and information hand outs).

If they vote no when it is brought up again....guess what. We now have a group of people making calls for their opponent already in place, ready to keep going to have that person replaced in the fall.

calls can be made to anywhere in the state from anywhere in the state

just an idea

I purchase fuel for my car in DuPage County. I take the train to downtown from a station in DuPage, I shop in DuPage, I attend Church in DuPage but I live in Schaumburg. I have wanted the RTC all of my life. I have waited over 50 years for my Civil Right to carry a pistol for personal protection to be restored. Often throughout my life (because I live in liberal land) I have been subject to ridicule because of my outspoken position on concealed carry and 2A. I have endured years of verbal assaults and labeled a "redneck or radical" or worse. I hate the politics of this county. The corruption is an endless source of material for comedians, journalists and prosecutors. Yet I love the area where I live because it is where I was born and raised. My family is here, it is MY HOME.

To come this far in our effort to restore our Constitutional Right and suggest that "we cut our losses" and abandon Cook County feels like my wife asking for a divorce. I have NO intention of giving up this fight. There are things I don't like about Cook County. There are things I don't like about some of my family members. I would never cast out a family member because I disagreed with them.

You might say I'm making this personal. Yes I am. Our soldiers didn't die to defend the freedoms of the entire country except Cook County. If I was and am willing to lay down my life to defend this land then it doesn't get any more personal than that.

This is about restoring the Civil Right to all, not "What can I get out of this for myself and screw the rest of you."

Really, "then we work our way up to full blown statewide". It's been 50 years to get to this point. How much longer for the rest of us if we take your suggestion? If you take what you can get, then that is all you will ever have.

all that +1

+100000000000000

we will make another run at RTC after the spring break.

I will be trying to get some R & R for a few days before going back to the grinder for the last 6 weeks.

there is no plan to cut out Chicago or Cook County. That does not mean that they won't try to get out of it. But we won't accept it. I and NRA took a lot of grief over that position previously when people wanted to let parts of the state opt out of RTC and we said no.

The legislative plan isn't very complicated, it is to get more votes than the other guys with the requisate number being 71 to pass. Then on to the senate.

We know who voted against us, and we need to turn at least 6 of them. Not much more complicated than that in order to keep it moving.

I will be trying to get some R & R for a few days before going back to the grinder for the last 6 weeks.

there is no plan to cut out Chicago or Cook County. That does not mean that they won't try to get out of it. But we won't accept it. i and NRA took a lot of grief over that position previously when people wnated to let parts of the state opt out of RTC and we said no.

The legislative plan isn't very complicated, it is to get more votes than the other guys with the requisate number being 71 to pass. Then on tot he senate.

We know who voted against us, and we need to turn at least 6 of them. not much more complicated than that in order to keep it moving.

Many thanks Todd for not craving out Chicago & crook county!

I purchase fuel for my car in DuPage County. I take the train to downtown from a station in DuPage, I shop in DuPage, I attend Church in DuPage but I live in Schaumburg. I have wanted the RTC all of my life. I have waited over 50 years for my Civil Right to carry a pistol for personal protection to be restored. Often throughout my life (because I live in liberal land) I have been subject to ridicule because of my outspoken position on concealed carry and 2A. I have endured years of verbal assaults and labeled a “redneck or radical” or worse. I hate the politics of this county. The corruption is an endless source of material for comedians, journalists and prosecutors. Yet I love the area where I live because it is where I was born and raised. My family is here, it is MY HOME.

To come this far in our effort to restore our Constitutional Right and suggest that “we cut our losses” and abandon Cook County feels like my wife asking for a divorce. I have NO intention of giving up this fight. There are things I don’t like about Cook County. There are things I don’t like about some of my family members. I would never cast out a family member because I disagreed with them.

You might say I’m making this personal. Yes I am. Our soldiers didn’t die to defend the freedoms of the entire country except Cook County. If I was and am willing to lay down my life to defend this land then it doesn’t get any more personal than that.

This is about restoring the Civil Right to all, not “What can I get out of this for myself and screw the rest of you.”

Really, “then we work our way up to full blown statewide”. It’s been 50 years to get to this point. How much longer for the rest of us if we take your suggestion? If you take what you can get, then that is all you will ever have.

AMEN.

That was a heck of a speech, sir.

+1

You asked, and while I don't think any part of the state should be excluded.

1. Cook County is responsible for the overall majority of Democrats in the state legislature, hence, Mike Madigan and Tom Cullerton in power.

2. Cook County is also responsible for the election of Governor Quinn. (falls in #1 with too many Democrats)

3. Cook County, mostly Chicago was going to force the rest of the state to pay for the Olympics had it chose Chicago. They didn't call me and ask for my approval.

4. Gasoline tax in Illinois is mostly due to that area of the state.

5. Mayor Daley and Mayor Emmanuel, nuff said.

6. I could probably go on and on what is wrong with that part of the state.

I agree that punishing the law abiding gun owners of Chicago isn't right. But it is up to the Chicago gun owners to turn things around in that part of the state too. The town hall meetings are definitely a step in the right direction.

I didn't make this post to start a big argument, but the question was put out there, and maybe, just maybe, some citizens of Cook County don't think of these things like the rest of the state does.

there is no plan to cut out Chicago or Cook County. That does not mean that they won't try to get out of it. But we won't accept it. i and NRA took a lot of grief over that position previously when people wnated to let parts of the state opt out of RTC and we said no.

The legislative plan isn't very complicated, it is to get more votes than the other guys with the requisate number being 71 to pass. Then on tot he senate.

We know who voted against us, and we need to turn at least 6 of them. not much more complicated than that in order to keep it moving.

Is there some speculation a deal may be cut? If it's the only way a carry bill will pass then we'd better stop and think about it.

IOW, every angle needs to be examined. Losing Shepard puts us back to playing by their rules.

Many thanks Todd for not craving out Chicago & crook county!

+1!

While there may be a few legislators who are true ideologues, the majority of them - even the fiercest antis - will swap their positions in a heartbeat if they think it's necessary to keep their job.

This is true and a very important point!

1. Cook County is responsible for the overall majority of Democrats in the state legislature, hence, Mike Madigan and Tom Cullerton in power.

2. Cook County is also responsible for the election of Governor Quinn. (falls in #1 with too many Democrats)

3. Cook County, mostly Chicago was going to force the rest of the state to pay for the Olympics had it chose Chicago. They didn't call me and ask for my approval.

I agree that punishing the law abiding gun owners of Chicago isn't right. But it is up to the Chicago gun owners to turn things around in that part of the state too. The town hall meetings are definitely a step in the right direction.

I didn't make this post to start a big argument, but the question was put out there, and maybe, just maybe, some citizens of Cook County don't think of these things like the rest of the state does.

I love all the hate talk of Chicago and cook county....but ask yourself, what have we done to go after Chicago and Cook county?! Have we put pressure on them? Have we attacked them and gone after their seats? Have we backed their political opponents? Have we gone up to Cook county to protect our votes if we feel they steal elections? (taken November 6th off to go be poll watchers?!)

We can sit here and moan about the great Chicago/Cook problem or we can do something about it!

Back candidates (not only myself but every candidate) make phone calls, purge voter rolls ( I have 2200 people 90 and above in my voter rolls out of 40,000, some 127 years old. I am sure others have the same) DONATE (every dollar you spend eats up 5-10 of the Chicago machine), get others involved, etc. We have to do something to put pressure on or take out the Chicago/Cook problem. Not only for CC issues but down to everything including the economy! There is stuff you can do from out side Chicago to go after them!!!

If we do nothing to stop them, we aren't much better than them by allowing them to do what they do freely.

I love all the hate talk of Chicago and cook county....

Mr. Romano,,,, is there one thing I said you can dispute???? Your comments are directed at people who support our cause. Until you convince the liberal entitlement voters in Cook County, nothing will change. The have been brainwashed into knowing a vote for a conservative will take away their meal ticket. A vote for a conservative will put more guns on the streets, legal or not.

I love all the hate talk of Chicago and cook county....

Mr. Romano,,,, is there one thing I said you can dispute???? Your comments are directed at people who support our cause. Until you convince the liberal entitlement voters in Cook County, nothing will change. The have been brainwashed into knowing a vote for a conservative will take away their meal ticket. A vote for a conservative will put more guns on the streets, legal or not.

not disputing anything I quoted you saying.....just making a point of what are WE doing to change it? Anything I said that you can dispute? I commend Molly and Paula et al for coming to cook and Chicago and starting to educate people, but along with education we need pressure.

I will dispute "Until you convince the liberal entitlement voters in Cook County, nothing will change." You think all voters in cook are liberal entitlement voters?

Do you think putting pressure on the anti politicians will help? (by making them fight for their seats...and when they have to fight for their seats not only can they not go out and get more seats in other areas like they have, but voters will get educated on subjects they never hear when there is no challenge)

So I ask, what you we done to go after the Chicago/Cook politician problem you have mentioned?

as Todd said "We know who voted against us, and we need to turn at least 6 of them. not much more complicated than that in order to keep it moving. " turn or replace would work...

I have attended the majority of IGOLD's, I have emailed every house member who did vote no on the last Carry vote. I had a personal discussion with one of the Chicago lawmakers who has recently changed his tune. (can't recall his name at the moment), I attended the downtown rally in Chicago a couple of years ago, I am a member of the ISRA and NRA. I have done numerous TV interviews in the southern part of the state, (not that that helps up there)

I am not just sitting idly by waiting for things to happen. I don't think all Cook county voters are entitlement voters, but it sure seems like they have a majority up there.

I checked the name I couldn't remember.

Chicago Rep. La Shawn Ford, if I remember, voted present on HB148. He had emailed me a couple of times after that vote after he received my email. I asked him if he would be interested in talking to me about his vote and we had a 20 minute conversation over the phone a few days after that vote. Rep. Ford is now on our side from what I have been reading, or at least thinking about it. I am not taking credit for this, but I'm sure I didn't hurt our case with him either.

You do a lot and that shows great support!

I think in this an election year we can put a tons of pressure on the machine and take some of them out. (more than writing them emails and phone calls.....real pressure, like job security!)

We have the army (Illinois Carry, ISRA and NRA) why aren't we mobilizing it against our opponents?

Part of the problem is unless you live in a Representative's area, they aren't going to really listen to you. Sure, we can email them all we want and I'm sure they know we are all from outside their district. Educating the citizens of that area to the realization that Illinois is the only state that doesn't have concealed carry is a big start. The media in that area never brings that up in news articles. I honestly think a lot of people up there believe concealed carry will making it legal for the gangs to carry guns. All they think is more guns is bad, regardless of it being in the hands of law abiding citizens. It will take a huge education campaign in that area to inform them that concealed carry works in the other 49 states, but that takes a large amount of money. The town hall meetings are an excellent start, but really, there is only so much we can do in the southern part of the state, and I know I can't afford a large amount of financial support.

Part of the problem is unless you live in a Representative's area, they aren't going to really listen to you. Sure, we can email them all we want and I'm sure they know we are all from outside their district. Educating the citizens of that area to the realization that Illinois is the only state that doesn't have concealed carry is a big start. The media in that area never brings that up in news articles. I honestly think a lot of people up there believe concealed carry will making it legal for the gangs to carry guns. All they think is more guns is bad, regardless of it being in the hands of law abiding citizens. It will take a huge education campaign in that area to inform them that concealed carry works in the other 49 states, but that takes a large amount of money. The town hall meetings are an excellent start, but really, there is only so much we can do in the southern part of the state, and I know I can't afford a large amount of financial support.

$$ for their opponents election campaign can effect districts where you don't have direct representation. Send Turka photocopy of a cancelled check to their opponent. That should get their attention.

You do a lot and that shows great support!

I think in this an election year we can put a tons of pressure on the machine and take some of them out. (more than writing them emails and phone calls.....real pressure, like job security!)

We have the army (Illinois Carry, ISRA and NRA) why aren't we mobilizing it against our opponents?

Colleen and I plan to help you replace Lang. Just let us know what we can do. I think this is where the rubber meets the road. The best pressure point we can hit is removing one or two anti's. That has to be done with boots on the ground. I want to throw one more catch phrase in this so let's win one for the gipper (O'l Coach)!

"Part of the problem is unless you live in a Representative's area, they aren't going to really listen to you."

do you think backing the political opponents of the politicians is putting pressure on those politicians?

especially in combination of their citizens being educated on the issues?

if they have no pressure from opponents and voters, they do not have to change their minds...correct?

even if the voters are educated and there is no serious campaign by their opponent (or even one at all), the representative can still do what her or she wants (or should I say the Machine wants)

So even if we educate all the voters, if we do not have opposition to them set up, there may still not be enough pressure. Educating and backing people to/who run against them (doesn't matter if you are in their district or not) will put pressure on them.

I will agree with that, but I am talking about the incumbents who are still in office. If their constituents are educated about our cause and they start the push from within the district about the changes they want, I would expect a change. Granted, the constituents have to get involved and if the change doesn't take place, they make it very clear there will not be a re-election.

As for the other responses, I agree money will help, but me, like most of us I'm sure, can't do much financially. Boots on the ground are great if you are retired and can make the trip. I am 6 hours from Chicago and still work a full time job. Phone calls and emails are the extent I can offer unless someone cooks up some other method.

I will agree with that, but I am talking about the incumbents who are still in office. If their constituents are educated about our cause and they start the push from within the district about the changes they want, I would expect a change. Granted, the constituents have to get involved and if the change doesn't take place, they make it very clear there will not be a re-election.

As for the other responses, I agree money will help, but me, like most of us I'm sure, can't do much financially. Boots on the ground are great if you are retired and can make the trip. I am 6 hours from Chicago and still work a full time job. Phone calls and emails are the extent I can offer unless someone cooks up some other method.

You can do campaign phone calls to assist a candidate in any area from your home, Molly B. has the details.

if the incumbent has no opposition.....how bad does he have to listen to his constituents?

Archived