Thoughts on the 10mm.

Gator4838

380acp,9mm,45acp,own them,shoot them,enjoy them.always looking for something different that peaks my interest.took a peak at the 357 Sig,but my focus now is on the glock 10 mm sub-compact gen3 or gen4,3.8 inch barrel,10+1.I have been reading and watching reviews and all seem positive.I currently do not own a glock.I believe this pistol would be a carry option in the cooler weather and heavier clothing.I know the 10mm might be a little much for self defense or is it?.any thoughts out there.I would especially like to hear from any 10mm owners.thanks.

I have owned a Glock 29 for many years. It is easy to carry, similar to carrying a Glock 19. I originally bought it as an option to carry when hiking in bear country, in addition to bear spray. It has gone on many a hike with me in a IWB holster. It has also become a range favorite. I really enjoy shooting it, it is a fine pistol and a change of pace from the other guns I own. Only downside is the cost of the ammo.

I carry and practice regularly with the subcompact Glock .40 (G27). A friend of mine that I shoot with has a couple of 10mm including the subcompact (G29) and let me shoot his. The recoil was noticeable between the 2, but it didn’t bother me.

I have also shot the full size Glock .45 (G21) and to me they are all similar.

He stopped shooting and/or carrying the 10’s because finding ammo for it is not as easy as the other calibers. It is still out there, but tends to be pricy.

I’ve never owned or fired a Glock... 10mm ammo seems really hard to find and expensive.

My current “new and different” is really the same but older in the form of a 1943 High Power. She won’t be a carry piece, the 1981 alloy version (used by Austrian border patrol) fills that spot. The “forty” is fun to shoot... but there is a bit more kick, lower capacity and higher cost per round. The 9mm mm is sort of a sweet spot... low cost, great availability, manageable recoil and higher capacity for carry. A tiny all metal .380 is nice for summer pocket carry but I lose the other advantages.

My only plastic gun has a .40 and .22 slide in addition to its standard 12 round 9mm. The .40 is painful in a 14 ounce pistol.

In my near euphoria while cleaning up a fabulous 76 year old pistol... I’m guessing no one will be restoring “historical” Glocks in 50 years. They seem to be designed as disposable firearms after 9 years or so of service.

Back to the bench!

The Glock 29SF is an ideal platform for what you're talking about. I have carried one for about 5 years now, and along with pairing it with a G30SF with a .460 Rowland barrel, I can shoot 11 different calibers out of that platform just by changing barrels, recoil springs, and slides (.22 LR conversion and the .460 Rowland G30SF).

It is the best combination of power, weight, carryability, and versatility. I use a 4.5" KKM Precision barrel in 10mm rather than the factory barrel, as well as a .40 S&W standard-length (3.77") barrel, and that covers most situations.

Pair it with Underwood's 100 grain Xtreme Defender for either of those calibers (about $35/box of 20), and you have the best self-defense package imaginable. The ballistics for those are either 1,800+ fps for the 10mm version, or 1,550+ for the .40, and my testing on hog carcasses show that nothing in those calibers does more terminal ballistic damage.

Additionally, if you want to have another option for amazing performance, spend about $100 or so for a Lone Wolf 9x25 Dillon barrel, and pair it with the 90 grain Xtreme Defenders from Underwood that will exceed 2,000 fps, with lighter recoil than the 10mm. You're starting to get lower-end rifle projectile performance both with that and the 10mm 100 grain.

Additionally, you can get reasonable enough practice ammo that nearly approximates the ballistics of those loads from Underwood as well, using the 135 grain 10mm JHPs (which does over 1,600 fps) for $17.50/box of 20, the 135 grain 40 S&W JHPs (over 1,400 fps) for $17/box of 20, and the 125 grain 9x25 Dillon FMJs (over 1,700 fps) for $37 for a box of 50, or 124 grain JHP in a box of 20 for $19 (same ballistics).

I shoot about 200 rounds of the "practice ammo" to every 10 rounds of the carry ammo, and the point of impact difference is negligible. The recoil is actually less from the carry ammo, due to the lighter projectile weights, so if you can hit accurately with the practice stuff, you're going to be better with the carry ammo in a real situation.

The effectiveness of the Xtreme Defender carry ammo, however, is an order of magnitude better than the practice ammo, especially the 9x25 Dillon and the 10mm. There literally isn't a better self-defense round/gun combo in a semi-auto package on the market for 2-legged attackers.

A 10mm is on my wish list, a 10mm carbine is on my dream list. And if you reload for .40 you already have the bullets and powders for 10mm, just need a new set of dies and large pistol primers. Then you don't have to worry about ammo availability.

If you have a set of dies for .40 you are already covered for reloading. I have one of my Lee turrets set up to load .40 and 10mm. The only things I need to adjust are the priming arm, powder throw and seating die to change from one caliber to the other. Only takes a few minutes to change over.

Like it was mentioned above there are plenty of great self defense ammo choices for the 10mm even if you dont reload. And the price of the SD rounds is comparable to the cost of SD rounds in other calibers. But in my opinion, cheap range/target ammo is not easy to come by. And most off the shelf target ammo for the 10mm is not loaded very hot at all. It still has more juice than factory .40 ammo but not very much more.

My EDC is a 9mm, but I picked up the 10mm (G20) because I needed a good backpacking gun for 4 legged critters. 10mm would be a fine caliber for self defense in any situation so I would say go ahead and carry on.

The other reason I chose the glock was so that I could get a Mechtech carbine upper for it. It was well worth it just for fun at the range. There average gain from the 4.6" barrel to the 16" barrel is around 200-300 fps. If I use slower burning powders for hot loads I can get 300-500 fps gains.

And as a public service announcement: 10mm brass will make your other cartridges feel inadequate and all once fired 10mm brass should be disposed of properly by sending it to me. :fear:

"They seem to be designed as disposable firearms after 9 years or so of service."

I don't yet own a Glock, but I guess one day I should just for snicks & giggles, so I'm not perhaps up to date on Glock news.

Is your comment initiated following research of news articles on Glocks manufactured in 2000 and before crumbling into dust, or mostly cuz you kinda just like wood & metal shootin' irons?

"They seem to be designed as disposable firearms after 9 years or so of service."

I don't yet own a Glock, but I guess one day I should just for snicks & giggles, so I'm not perhaps up to date on Glock news.

Is your comment initiated following research of news articles on Glocks manufactured in 2000 and before crumbling into dust, or mostly cuz you kinda just like wood & metal shootin' irons?

I can't imagine they crumble to dust!

From what I've read, Glock has a great trade-in program for LE... at about 9 years old they give departments a couple hundred bucks for the old ones as a trade-in on new models. For the LE market they are designed to be disposable so Glock can sell more guns. Maybe it's just a marketing thing. If you could only afford one gun, a Glock LE trade in might be a good choice. I imagine Glocks are popular because cops use them. Cops use them because Glock wants to make them popular and offers discounts and a trade-in program.

I own one plastic pistol, a Kel-Tec P-11 9mm with a .40 and a .22 kit. I bought it thinking it would be suitable for CC (tiny and light) and I'll never sell it... 'cause who would buy it! I've fired rounds from a number of plastic pistols owned by friends. While they function just fine... I find them unattractive and they just don't feel right. They have advantages, for sure. With bigger bullets I really appreciate a heavy gun. Even with the tiny .22 there is a notable difference in shooting the Kel-Tec at 14oz vs a High Power at 2#s. With .40 the difference is magnified.

... and I really do just like metal and wood shootin' irons!

*I've been working on a 1943 High Power for the last few days.

It has history and credentials Glock will never have.

In 2050, no one will be restoring a Glock from the 1980s. Someone will still be restoring High Powers from WWll and 1911s from WWl and WWll... and shooting them!

I know I'll get flamed for this but if you're talking caliber my primary carry is 41AE. No longer any factory or resale reloads supplying that I'm aware of, but have sufficient brass to last me. Can do anything the 10 can do and then have the ability to drop the 9mm barrel into the platform for range work. Yes it's a pain scrounging around on the ground/floor for the used brass when you run the 41 through it as you cannot afford to leave any behind, but been using this caliber in CZ clones as the platform since the early 90's.

Of the guns I have only one that was dedicated 41AE and the others were 9's and one that came with both barrels. I got the extra return springs and barrels in 9 from EAA and believe you could still get them there. In all the guns in the 41 seems to run better without any hiccups rather than the 9mm (all Tanfoglio).

This from a "Wheel Gun Man."

Nothing wrong with 10mm if you don't mind the cost of feeding it.

10mm = .40 magnum

More factually .40 S&W is a 10mm short because the FBI complained that lighter pawed agents could not handle the recoil from the 10mm and it caused issues with followup shots.

Something to consider in a light framed carry pistol and/or someone that doesn't have the strongest grip and/or someone that doesn't want the potentially sore wrist after a day at the range.

I wouldn’t discount a 357 SIG Glock. My 33 is quite impressive, I like it for parka season.

I recommend the Underwood 65 grain Xtreme Defender for that. 2,100 fps out of a 4" barrel, so out of your G33, I would say you could still hit around 1,950–2,000 fps.

They do some massive tissue damage to pig carcasses, and will go through soft IIIA ballistic protection.

I know I'll get flamed for this but if you're talking caliber my primary carry is 41AE. No longer any factory or resale reloads supplying that I'm aware of, but have sufficient brass to last me. Can do anything the 10 can do and then have the ability to drop the 9mm barrel into the platform for range work. Yes it's a pain scrounging around on the ground/floor for the used brass when you run the 41 through it as you cannot afford to leave any behind, but been using this caliber in CZ clones as the platform since the early 90's.

Of the guns I have only one that was dedicated 41AE and the others were 9's and one that came with both barrels. I got the extra return springs and barrels in 9 from EAA and believe you could still get them there. In all the guns in the 41 seems to run better without any hiccups rather than the 9mm (all Tanfoglio).

This from a "Wheel Gun Man."

I have two 9mm barrels from EFK FireDragon for my Glock 29SF, and they are as drop in-as you can get, including using 10mm magazines to hold the 9mm rounds, without even needing to modify the feed lips. The only difference is G20 15-round magazines hold 18 or 19 rounds of 9mm, and G29 10-round magazines hold 11 or 12 rounds.

As for doing anything that the 10mm can do, here are the stats for loadings for the .41; Reed's Ammunition and Research lists the following:

170 grain JHP at 1230fps; 571 ft lbs

185 grain JHP at 1180fps; 572 ft lbs

210 grain JHP at 1150fps; 617 ft lbs

Underwood's .40 is as follows:

40 S&W 165 Grain Bonded Jacketed Hollow Poin—Muzzle Velocity: 1200 fps Muzzle Energy: 528 ft lbs

40 S&W 180 Grain Bonded Jacketed Hollow Point—Muzzle Velocity: 1100 fps Muzzle Energy: 484 ft lbs

40 S&W 200 Grain Hard Cast Flat Nose—Muzzle Velocity: 1000 fps Muzzle Energy: 444 ft lbs

40 S&W 135 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point—Muzzle Velocity: 1400 fps Muzzle Energy: 588 ft lbs

Here's Underwood's 10mm:

10mm Auto 165 Grain Bonded Jacketed Hollow Point—Muzzle Velocity: 1400 fps Muzzle Energy: 718 ft lbs

10mm Auto 180 Grain XTP Jacketed Hollow Point—Muzzle Velocity: 1300 fps Muzzle Energy: 676 ft lbs

10mm Auto 200 Grain XTP Jacketed Hollow Point—Muzzle Velocity: 1250 fps Muzzle Energy: 694 ft lbs

10mm Auto 220 Grain Hard Cast Flat Nose—Muzzle Velocity: 1200 fps Muzzle Energy: 703 ft lbs

10mm Auto 135 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point—Muzzle Velocity: 1600 fps Muzzle Energy: 767 ft lbs

10mm Auto 155 Grain XTP Jacketed Hollow Point—Muzzle Velocity: 1500 fps Muzzle Energy: 774 ft lbs

10mm Auto 100 Grain Xtreme Defender—Muzzle Velocity: 1825 fps Muzzle Energy: 740 ft lbs

I'd say the .41AE is to the 10mm what the 10mm is to the .41 Remington Magnum, which makes the .41AE right about the top end of the .40S&W capability, or a light-loaded true 10mm round.

Well,after careful consideration I am going to buy that g29 today.do I really need it,I would have to answer no.but hey,sure looks like a fun gun to shoot and another welcome addition to my polymer handgun collection.I would love to be buying wood and metal guns if the budget allowed.I think I am going to settle on some hornady 180grain xtp,s for a self defense round.appears to be in that 12-18 inch penetration sweet spot according to lucky gunner.thanks to all for the posts,I learned some things.

"Back in the day," when I had the FFL I sold a number of Springfield's version of the Delta Elite in 10. They seemed to run very well and never had a customer bad mouth the guns.

That said one of the loadings in my 41 is 210gr GD JHP around 1150FPS, not sure what that translates to in ft lbs.
Still have some factory loaded Speer (two mags worth) and would have to dig to come up with what those are (serrated hollow point?).

"Back in the day," when I had the FFL I sold a number of Springfield's version of the Delta Elite in 10. They seemed to run very well and never had a customer bad mouth the guns.

That said one of the loadings in my 41 is 210gr GD JHP around 1150FPS, not sure what that translates to in ft lbs.

Still have some factory loaded Speer (two mags worth) and would have to dig to come up with what those are (serrated hollow point?).

In my posting about it above, I actually show the energy data for that. It's 617 ft lbs.

I go to the range often and enjoy a variety of calibers to shoot.yes,the ammo is expensive and difficult to find on the shelf,but it is readily available on line where I have always purchased my ammo.the hx of the 10mm is interesting to me developed by Jeff Cooper in 1986 and adopted by the fbi after the infamous 1986 L.A. shootout abandoned soon thereafter for the 40 s\w.I don't plan on sending as many rounds down range as I do my 9mm edc due to the cost but it should be fun to shoot now and then.I don't know if I will carry it,I feel pretty secure with my 9mm and 45 cal.there is some controversy that if you would ever have to use it in self defense could you be made a villain by prosecutors for your choice of firearm,that I'm not sure I buy into.like many people I know,I really don't need a practical reason to buy a gun,I just enjoy having them.

I wouldn’t discount a 357 SIG Glock. My 33 is quite impressive, I like it for parka season.

I recommend the Underwood 65 grain Xtreme Defender for that. 2,100 fps out of a 4" barrel, so out of your G33, I would say you could still hit around 1,950–2,000 fps.

They do some massive tissue damage to pig carcasses, and will go through soft IIIA ballistic protection.

I’m not a fan of exotics - 125 grain Gold Dots are fine for my uses.

In situations where having the most effective solution to stop the target through wounding mechanisms is vital, that's like saying . . .

"I'm not a fan of stainless steel scalpels; iron razors are fine for my doctor to perform surgery on me."

In situations where having the most effective solution to stop the target through wounding mechanisms is vital, that's like saying . . .

"I'm not a fan of stainless steel scalpels; iron razors are fine for my doctor to perform surgery on me."

No it's more akin to saying "I'll stick with steel scalpels which all medical professional use, have a proven track record and are an industry standard, instead of your irradiated diamond scalpel that you say is awesome at slicing up pigs.

• 2 weeks later...
Well,I did pick up that g29 gen 4 and this gun is a lot of fun to shoot.ran 200 rd,s through it today including 180 and 200 grain fmj,s.I decided on Sig Sauer 180 gr v-crown jhp,s for defense rounds.stout recoil as expected but pushes more rearward with little muzzle flip.I would compare recoil to my sub compact 45 acp shooting +p,s.small frame with a heavy beefy slide and could be easily concealed with cooler weather.my first glock and I have to say I am pleased with the simplicity of the pistol and ease of breakdown.it cycled flawlessly.I gave it a quick cleaning and light oiling out of the box.I put some pinky extensions on the mags and am now able to get a full grip.I do appreciate 3 mags come with it.the sights might have to get swapped out.with the price of 10mm ammo it might not make every range trip but as many as possible.I don't reload yet but you can bet I have been picking up the brass.I can't imagine ever feeling out gunned with this caliber and would surely be a devastating round to a criminal with bad intentions.thanks again for all your thoughts.

Archived