Where have we gone sideways?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 domin8

Banned!

• Members
  • 7,299 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 12:32 AM

The biggest problem with including religion in the solution is how religion has been dismissed by the majority. Most politicians use to have religious backgrounds. They are the minority today. We have a national cathedral. You don't ever hear about it being used. Before people start screaming about separation of church and state, I never said church needed to run the state. Their can be religious influence in politics as long as an official religion isn't declared. Love they neighbor, don't covet the neighbor's wife, thou shalt not kill, etc. are not preached enough today. Once the 10 Commandments were removed from government buildings via court orders the downward slope became steeper. Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I'm either banned, going to be banned, or just returned from being banned. The truth hurts.

#32 TriumphRider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 12:52 AM

OH, my ftriend, but you are sadly mistaken.  There is a HUGE influx of religion in the Government.  It is the absolute Worship of Government.  Which is the exact antipathy/opposite of Freedom/Independence.

Too many people, and their "Representatives" see Government as their Savior.  Nothing could be further from the Truth.  The Government only enslaves, it NEVER Liberates.

Edited by TriumphRider, 04 September 2019 - 12:53 AM.

The Problem is not the problem.  The Problem is your Attitude about the problem.

#33 domin8

Banned!

• Members
  • 7,299 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 06:02 AM

Can you show me the mysticism in government that runs throughout religion, such as a belief in a higher power that is guided by one's locus of control? The "faith" in government isn't mystic like religion. It's the exact opposite. It's a desire for God-like control, not a belief in an intangible higher being. Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I'm either banned, going to be banned, or just returned from being banned. The truth hurts.

#34 Skolnick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 08:22 AM

Surely you don't want 5,000+ representatives?

If the House had been increasing in size all along, problems would have been encountered before it got to 5,000 or 7,000. An amendment could have been passed to make the House two-tiered, or some other work around.

I don't buy the "no career politicians" angle either, Chicago wards have ~50,000 people and there's still career politicians and corruption galore.

In a small town of 100, some guy may be mayor for 60+ years, but he is not a career politician because he can't make a living handing out favors from a tax base of 100 people. Yes, that guy is mayor year after year, but he still needs a day job.

On the other hand, politicians who get elected to a districts of half a million (and their family, friends, and cohorts) can easily make a living doling out bankable favors.

In my village of 42,000, the mayor, the six at-large trustees, and the clerk all have full-time jobs elsewhere. In nearby Chicago, alderman of a ward of 54,000 is a full-time job.

For this comparison, the population of my village and a ward in Chicago are close enough. However, my village officials do not have tax revenue from 100 story skyscrapers, international airports, major league sports teams, or a 2.6 million sq foot exposition center to hand out deal with.

Translation: Regardless of population, the larger the finances of the office, the easier it is to make a living off of that office.

According to the Washington Post, $2.4 billion was spent on the 2016 presidential election.

Question: Why spend $2.4 billion to get a job that will pay $1.6 million over 4 years?

Answer: It's worth it.

#35 Molly B.

IllinoisCarry spokesperson

• 16,404 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 09:34 AM

Molly, 

If new laws in ILLannoy go their seemingly inevitable way, let's suppose that everyone has to turn in their so-called "assault weapons." 

In that event, it is obvious that folks on this forum will be screaming non-compliance.

Will they be told they're violating the Code of Conduct?

At what point does the switch flip?  Because it seems that day is coming.

It's a very interesting and very possible dilemma for you and others who control this forum.

Q

At the risk of garnering Molly's extended "aggravation", I would be the first to express my "non-compliance" with the "Unconstitutional" edict.  I will not try to anticipate her (or Mauserme's) response, but I am sure they will do what they feel is best for this site.

This site, and it's supporters, have accomplished a HYOOGE amount of positive effects for the 2nd Amendment rights of Illinois citizens, and no one can deny that.

There is a difference between non-compliance with an unconstitutional law and arming up to take out criminals because the legal system will not. Huge difference.

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

#36 steveTA84

• Supporting Members Team
  • 5,456 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 10:27 AM

Molly, 

If new laws in ILLannoy go their seemingly inevitable way, let's suppose that everyone has to turn in their so-called "assault weapons." 

In that event, it is obvious that folks on this forum will be screaming non-compliance.

It's a very interesting and very possible dilemma for you and others who control this forum.

Q

At the risk of garnering Molly's extended "aggravation", I would be the first to express my "non-compliance" with the "Unconstitutional" edict.  I will not try to anticipate her (or Mauserme's) response, but I am sure they will do what they feel is best for this site.
This site, and it's supporters, have accomplished a HYOOGE amount of positive effects for the 2nd Amendment rights of Illinois citizens, and no one can deny that.

In the case that happens, they should do the right thing and wipe it clean other than stickies as to not put their members at risk who have talked about owning such weapons in the past...........

Also, not sure members would appreciate the classifieds section remaining viewable so that they are subject to weapon seizure raids. Will the ISP get a warrant to get the ISP addresses from said memebers?

Welcome to Illinois under Complete Democratic control

#37 steveTA84

• 5,456 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 10:28 AM

Molly, 

Q

There is a difference between non-compliance with an unconstitutional law and arming up to take out criminals because the legal system will not. Huge difference.

+1. If it’s not self defense it’s murder

#38 rmart

• Members
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 04:59 PM

Can you show me the mysticism in government that runs throughout religion, such as a belief in a higher power that is guided by one's locus of control? The "faith" in government isn't mystic like religion. It's the exact opposite. It's a desire for God-like control, not a belief in an intangible higher being. Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Belief in a higher power to protect us and provide all our needs, check

Faith in government to do so (despite all evidence to the contrary), check

Intangible higher being... higher being check, just try finding someone to hold accountable, check

Those religions just want to tell me and others how to live our lives... government, check

Religious people are all a bunch of hypocrites (government; good for thee but not for me), government, check

They're always judging me and finding me wanting, government, check

They call everything enjoyable a sin, government, check

Churches just want your money, always passing the plate (God is a piker asking only for you to VOLUNTARILY give 10%), government, check

did I miss anything?

NRA Endowment Life Member

ISRA Member

Retired Firefighter/Paramedic

Father of two great kids and husband of one great wife

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to buy cars... ~unknown

The problem is not guns! It's hearts without God, homes without discipline, schools without prayer, and courts without justice. ~unknown

"A general dissolution of the principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy.

While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but once they lose their virtue, they will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader." ~ Samuel Adams 1779 to James Warren

Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. ~Daniel Webster

How much can you put in your signature before it becomes too long??

#39 WitchDoctor

• 1,095 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 02:26 PM

+2. If it’s not self defense it’s murder

3/504 Airborne

IC Sponsor

ISRA Member

Proud Parent to  wonderful, most times, kids...

Tired of Chicago B.S.

"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, January 30, 1787

#40 Raw Power

• 1,506 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 07:40 PM

+2. If it’s not self defense it’s murder

+3 for an easy concept to back.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users