SCOTUS Accepts!

dorvinion

Going off of what Alan Gura said, it seems like it is going to be in our favor.

I'm not getting out the champaign and Pop-Tarts yet though.

I would suppose, but don't know for sure, that the people very close to this case have a pretty good idea of what the outcome will be. I realize this is the supreme court here, but there are nine of them, and they are people too, much like you and me.

Has anyone seen recent interviews with Walter Dellinger? The attorney that argued for the District?

Going off of what Alan Gura said, it seems like it is going to be in our favor.

I'm not getting out the champaign and Pop-Tarts yet though.

Why would you have to get out of Champaign to have Pop-Tarts??

I remember the big boys telling me that sometimes it took a lot of champagne to pop a tart but I'm not real sure what they were talking about.

I'm confused!! :blink:

AB

KMOX in St. Louis said this AM that the ruling would be issued today.

SCOTUSBLOG reports that they will release at least one decision today. Don't know which one, not sure anyone does, but it could be Heller. Public session starts at 10:00 a.m. EST, 'bout 15 minutes from now.

AB

KMOX in St. Louis said this AM that the ruling would be issued today.

SCOTUSBLOG reports that they will release at least one decision today. Don't know which one, not sure anyone does, but it could be Heller. Public session starts at 10:00 a.m. EST, 'bout 15 minutes from now.

AB

Three decisions released so far, none are Heller. Read about it here.

May be more released as the morning goes on.

AB

I don't know why you all came here, but I was waiting for Irizarry v. United States with baited breath...

:(

10:36 Ben Winograd - No more opinions will be issued from the Court today.

Tune in again Monday, June 16th at 10:00 a.m. EDST for more exciting news from the Supreme Court of the United States!!!!!

AB

There is a lot of bad information floating around.... I too had wondered if the decision would come today. But it did not.

Now, unless they deviate from the usual schedule (as they did today)....

The next possible time for the release will be at 1000 eastern time on Monday, 16 June.

The next possible time after that will be at 1000 eastern time on Monday, 23 June. That day is the last day of this term for the release of opinions. If we don't receive the opinion by then, it's my understanding that we would have to wait until next term (beginning in October).

It is clear that this one is a highly anticipated ruling!

I understand Monday June 16th 9 a.m. our time is the next scheduled day for rulings to be released. Will someone please alert me so I won't miss it?

Why Molly, you got a couple of other things going on that might make you forget about it??? I'll try to remind you if I remember myself!!!

AB

I do not claim to know all the details or nuances of the cases dealing with prisoners of war held at GITMO. However, the decision of the SCOTUS on these cases is disturbing to me. IIUC, now, POWs, captured in battle, will have all the same rights as a US citizen. Am I missing something here??

Gives me cause for concern re: the Heller case. The GITMO ruling strikes me as a very liberal stance.

Not as sure as I once was.

AB

I do not claim to know all the details or nuances of the cases dealing with prisoners of war held at GITMO. However, the decision of the SCOTUS on these cases is disturbing to me. IIUC, now, POWs, captured in battle, will have all the same rights as a US citizen. Am I missing something here??

Gives me cause for concern re: the Heller case. The GITMO ruling strikes me as a very liberal stance.

AB

I see it differently. It warms my libertarian heart to see a ruling that affirms rights over governmental power, and slaps The Decider's executive powers-abusing a** around some.

Rights trumping governmental power--if the same thing happens with Heller, we're golden.

AB

I see it differently. It warms my libertarian heart to see a ruling that affirms rights over governmental power, and slaps The Decider's executive powers-abusing a** around some.

Rights trumping governmental power--if the same thing happens with Heller, we're golden.

Keep talkin' .45, that makes me feel a little better. However, the militant side of me says that those from another land, that want to kill me and mine should only be afforded the most basic of human rights when captured on a battlefield. Not the full measure of rights of a US citizen.

We can agree to disagree on that subject, as long as Heller results in completely voiding all governmental gun bans and incorporates the Second, we'll be happy, right???

Have a good one!

AB

AB

I'm inclined to agree, the theory used to be that only US Citizens have rights, but we must remember that our constitution is here to protect rights, not establish them. As odd as it might sound, all humans are entitled to the same rights, enemy or not.

Archived