Photo

Contact your Senator? A joke in Illinois

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 vito

• Members
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:03 AM

GOA is urging us to contact our U.S. Senators (https://outlook.live...AACnDi+vAAAAA==). Its not worth even the effort of a phone call with our Senators. I can't imagine them even interested in what a bill says. If it claims to be for gun control, they will vote for it. 

Retired U.S. Army and Veteran of the Vietnam conflict

NRA Life Member

Fully retired!

#2 Windermere

Bacon Junkie

• Supporting Members Team
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:31 AM

Whenever I reach out to our communist representatives, I am not only received with condescending attitude, but they are surprised that there are pro-2A citizens in their constituency.

Screw them and screw this corrupt state. It’s not worth the time arguing with such hostile members of Congress.

Our only hope at having a conservative governor that would fight for us (Jeanne Ives) was thwarted by a piece of junk RINO that wouldn’t step aside. Now we are slaves to the Chicago machine.

As much as I would love to get the heck out of here, it’s not in the cards, so if they want them, they can come and get them.
"Always remember, your ability to shoot and have a firearm makes it so that you are not subjected to the whims of other people without your permission. So, in other words, if you don't want to get raped, robbed, pillaged, or plundered... get a gun."
-Clint Smith

#3 mrmagloo

• Members
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:52 AM

Well I got to say that being in Lake County where we used to have a very Pro 2A GOP rep in Sullivan, who left for private work, and was replaced by a Democrat, Edly-Allen, it's truly demoralizing watching what was a strong RED county slowly get taken over. Disgust might be a better word.

Edited by mrmagloo, 15 August 2019 - 11:52 AM.

#4 yurimodin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 01:15 PM

yes because email is the cure for communism :poke:

#5 mic6010

• Members
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 06:36 AM

I mean......its not a joke. Reaching out and voicing concerns to your elected representatives is supposed to be a cornerstone of a Democratic Republic.

That being said, this is Illinois comrades. We are well behind the red curtain here.  Fight or Flight. That's how humans do it.  Good Luck !

"Living in Chicago, it used to be, 'don't go out at night,' or 'be more careful at night'. Now it's turned into a place where it doesn't matter if it's day or night."  - John Hendricks.

#6 InterestedBystander

• 6,773 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 07:14 AM

Durbin AND Duckworth. *sigh* And unlike the old days, now a US House Rep quite anti 2A. Sometimes it feels like such an exercise in frustration.
NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
FFL-IL Supporter
SAF Member
GOA Member
🇺🇸

#7 TRJ

The Original TRJ, Accept No Impostors

• 8,671 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 07:35 AM

I rather enjoy sending them mail and getting the same form letter repeatedly. They probably don't realize it, but that non-response from them just renews my resolve to keep sending stuff until they either write something original or change... neither is likely. Can't wait to move so I can start lobbing "why I left with my tax dollars" mail to them. I bet they don't have a form letter for that, and if they do it's ironic that they don't see how that's a big problem.

#8 RECarry

• 2,409 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 04:48 PM

Whenever writing to Durbin, I like to point out that his website's list of Topics to choose from is biased, and probably their tabulation of responses.

You can only choose "Guns" but not "2nd Amendment". I'll bet they just count the number of responses to the "Guns" topic and ASSume everyone has the same anti-2A opinion.

A woman's "Right to Choose" the abortion issue starts with the words "No!", "Stop!", and "I am armed!".

#9 GWBH

Ripcord... This is Alabama - Fire For Effect, Over...

• Members
  • 6,476 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 02:30 PM

Face it - it's no longer a representative government of the people - these elitists just do whatever their personal agenda dictates and then cram it down everyone else's throats.

Fire Support Base Ripcord Association - the heroes of the Vietnam War have their names on a wall in Washington, DC
http://www.ripcordassociation.com/

Sgt. Phil Compton (ishmo), "L" Company (RANGER) 75th Infantry - 101st Airborne Division (Vietnam 1968 - 1969 / 1970 - 1971 )
A good man, a brave soldier, a patriot and a true friend.

PFC Patrick J. Bohan, 101 Pathfinder Detachment, 3rd Brigade - 101st Airborne Division, KIA, July 10, 1970, on FSB Ripcord

#10 Smallbore

• Members
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 03:32 PM

I can not help but wonder what tge outcome would be if ever foid holder contacted these senators.
Making excuses for not sending your opinions seen lazy.
How does one expect to win a battle without first taking to the field of battle.

#11 Lou

Resident Old Guy

• 13,651 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 03:33 PM

Whenever writing to Durbin, I like to point out that his website's list of Topics to choose from is biased, and probably their tabulation of responses.

You can only choose "Guns" but not "2nd Amendment". I'll bet they just count the number of responses to the "Guns" topic and ASSume everyone has the same anti-2A opinion.

I always choose OTHER because it seems like the topic automatically triggers a form letter no matter what you write.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -  George Orwell

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again. 

#12 ilphil

Ornery Skeptic

• Members
  • 2,901 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 04:34 PM

Well I got to say that being in Lake County where we used to have a very Pro 2A GOP rep in Sullivan, who left for private work, and was replaced by a Democrat, Edly-Allen, it's truly demoralizing watching what was a strong RED county slowly get taken over. Disgust might be a better word.

Even the western part of the county is turning. Sad to watch things going down the toilet.

#13 Flynn

• Members
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 08:53 PM

How does one expect to win a battle without first taking to the field of battle.

I pick battles that I have a chance of actually helping win or at least have an effect, and avoid battles that are a lost cause.

That said, I'm not going to waste my time sending emails or calling an IL rep that I know full well isn't going to care what I have to say about the 2nd, their minds are made up and it's fruitless to believe an email or call is going to change their minds.  Instead I'll support their rivals come election time and I'll send money to people taking the fight to the courts, places were my contribution actually has a viable chance of actually making a difference.

Anonymous leakers, leak anonymously about the anonymous leak.

—Anonymous

#14 JTHunter

• Members
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 10:35 PM

I have given up writing or emailing "Tricky Dicky" Durbin as I get the same form letter from his office, regardless of the original subject.  But at least I get a response 20% of the time.

I get NO response from Tammy Duckworth(less) at all.

“We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.” - - Abraham Lincoln

“Small minds adhere to the letter of the law; great minds dispense Justice.” - - S. C. Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes

Life member NAHC, Endowment member NRA

#15 RECarry

• 2,409 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 06:26 AM

I always choose OTHER because it seems like the topic automatically triggers a form letter no matter what you write.

Yes, that's a good point. When writing about the 2A, it's playing by their rules to select the "Guns" topic.

A woman's "Right to Choose" the abortion issue starts with the words "No!", "Stop!", and "I am armed!".

#16 Raw Power

• 1,410 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:56 AM

That's a tally of about 10 people who have given up and think it's not worth the time to write their representative.

When you don't try, you are guaranteeing you won't succeed.

#17 Flynn

• Members
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:04 AM

That's a tally of about 10 people who have given up and think it's not worth the time to write their representative.

A false dichotomy fallacy, writing your representative is not the only way to succeed at our goal.

Edited by Flynn, 19 August 2019 - 10:05 AM.

Anonymous leakers, leak anonymously about the anonymous leak.

—Anonymous

#18 Raw Power

• 1,410 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:44 AM

A false dichotomy fallacy, writing your representative is not the only way to succeed at our goal.

It's a basic responsibility, just like voting is.

If someone said "I'm not going to vote because it's pointless", even though is ridiculously easy in this country, would you let them off the hook?

#19 howie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 04:33 AM

I tell 'em what I think.  Whether i get a response or not is irrelevant.  I think to be silent is to condone their actions, and it makes it so much easier for them to say crap like "The overwhelming majority of my constituents that have contacted me support gun control"....Not that they won't say that anyway, but it won't be because I sat quietly while the wrecked the country.

NRA Endowment Member
ISRA Member
GOA Member

NRA Basic Pistol/Rifle/PPITH Instructor
ISP Approved CCW Instructor

www.boondocktactical.com

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined.... O sir, we should have fine times, indeed, if to punish tyrants, it were only sufficient to assemble the people!"

"I am not well versed in history, but I will submit to your recollection, whether liberty has been destroyed most often by the licentiousness of the people, or by the tyranny of rulers. I imagine, sir, you will find the balance on the side of tyranny."- Patrick Henry

#20 Bo69

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 06:01 AM

Which federal prison should I send the letter ?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users