Retail vs Kitchen Table FFL

Dcompton

Hi all. I have been contemplating getting my FFL for years. Mostly so I can do light smithing and coatings/finishings. Lately we have had some local FFLs toss in the towel. It has left a void I feel in our area.

I know the dealer licensing law has some pretty ominous requirements for retail locations, however a home FFL is not considered a “retail location”.

Can someone with actual knowledge of the law enlighten me on what is required of a home FFL besides the $300/5 year license fee? Secure storage is already a requirement under the FFL and I have that covered. I am curious about cameras and electronic logs. Thanks in advance.

If a person engages in strictly gunsmithing services, and only those services (where, for example, they accept a firearm for service, service the firearm, and then return it solely to the same person who gave them the firearm to service), they will not be required to be obtain State certification.

If, however, a person who offers gunsmithing services also engages in the business of selling, leasing, or otherwise transferring firearms to third parties, they will be required to obtain State certification.

Thanks. I understand that. However, the law differentiates between retail and not retail with the fee structure. $1500 for retail, $300 for non-retail location. So at homes already get an exemption on the cost. The verbiage used also seems to indicate that other facets of the law do not apply to at home FFLs. For what it’s worth, if I move forward, I already have storage and cameras. I am wondering if they are required as are the e-logs as the wording has me thinking they are not for non-retail (non-brick and mortar) locations...

My investigation continues...

Archived