SB1293 Prohibited Places

Grey Beret

Prohibited Places:

Section 65. Prohibited areas.

(a) A licensee under this Act shall not knowingly carry a firearm on or into:

(1) Any building, real property, and parking area under the control of a public or private elementary or secondary school.

(2) Any building, real property, and parking area under the control of a pre-school or child care facility, including any room or portion of a building under the control of a pre-school or child care facility. Nothing in this paragraph shall prevent the operator of a child care facility in a family home from owning or possessing a firearm in the home or license under this Act, if no child under child care at the home is present in the home or the firearm in the home is stored in a locked container when a child under child care at the home is present in the home.

(3) Any building, parking area, or portion of a building under the control of an officer of the executive or legislative branch of government, provided that nothing in this paragraph shall prohibit a licensee from carrying a concealed firearm onto the real property, bikeway, or trail in a park regulated by the Department of Natural Resources or any other designated public hunting area or building where firearm possession is permitted as established by the Department of Natural Resources under Section 1.8 of the Wildlife Code.

(4) Any building designated for matters before a circuit court, appellate court, or the Supreme Court, and any building or portion of a building under the control of the Supreme Court.

(5) Any building or portion of a building under the control of a unit of local government.

(6) Any building, real property, and parking area under the control of an adult or juvenile detention or correctional institution, prison, or jail.

(7) Any building, real property, and parking area under the control of a public or private hospital or hospital affiliate, mental health facility, or nursing home.

(8) Any bus, train, or form of transportation paid for in whole or in part with public funds, and any building, real property, and parking area under the control of a public transportation facility paid for in whole or in part with public funds.

(9) Any building, real property, and parking area under the control of an establishment that serves alcohol on its premises, if more than 50% of the establishment's gross receipts within the prior 3 months is from the sale of alcohol.

(10) Any public gathering or special event conducted on property open to the public that requires the issuance of a permit from the unit of local government, provided this prohibition shall not apply to a licensee who must walk through a public gathering in order to access his or her residence, place of business, or vehicle.

(11) Any building or real property that has been issued a Special Event Retailer's license as defined in Section 1-3.17.1 of the Liquor Control Act during the time designated for the sale of alcohol by the special event retailer's license, or a Special use permit license as defined in subsection (q) of Section 5-1 of the Liquor Control Act during the time designated for the sale of alcohol by the Special use permit license.

(12) Any public playground.

(13) Any public park, athletic area, or athletic facility under the control of a municipality or park district, provided nothing in this Section shall prohibit a licensee from carrying a concealed firearm while on a trail or bikeway if only a portion of the trail or bikeway includes a public park.

(14) Any real property under the control of the Cook County Forest Preserve District.

(15) Any building, classroom, laboratory, medical clinic, hospital, artistic venue, athletic venue, entertainment venue, officially recognized university-related organization property, whether owned or leased, and any real property, including parking areas, sidewalks, and common areas under the control of a public or private community college, college, or university.

(16) Any building, real property, or parking area under the control of a gaming facility licensed under the Riverboat Gambling Act or the Illinois Horse Racing Act of 1975, including an inter-track wagering location licensee.

(17) Any stadium, arena, or the real property or parking area under the control of a stadium, arena, or any collegiate or professional sporting event.

(18) Any building, real property, or parking area under the control of a public library.

(19) Any building, real property, or parking area under the control of an airport.

(20) Any building, real property, or parking area under the control of an amusement park.

(21) Any building, real property, or parking area under the control of a zoo or museum.

(22) Any street, driveway, parking area, property, building, or facility, owned, leased, controlled, or used by a nuclear energy, storage, weapons, or development site or facility regulated by the federal Nuclear Regulatory Commission. The licensee shall not under any circumstance store a firearm or ammunition in his or her vehicle or in a compartment or container within a vehicle located anywhere in or on the street, driveway, parking area, property, building, or facility described in this paragraph.

(23) Any area where firearms are prohibited by federal law.

HOWEVER

(a-5) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a public or private community college, college, or university from:

(1) prohibiting persons from carrying a firearm within a vehicle owned, leased, or controlled by the college or university; (2) developing resolutions, regulations, or policies regarding student, employee, or visitor misconduct and discipline, including suspension and expulsion;

(3) developing resolutions, regulations, or policies regarding the storage or maintenance of firearms, which must include designated areas where persons can park vehicles that carry firearms;

and

(4) permitting the carrying or use of firearms for the purpose of instruction and curriculum of officially recognized programs, including but not limited to military science and law enforcement training programs, or in any designated area used for hunting purposes or target shooting.

(a-10) The owner of private real property of any type may prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms on the property under his or her control. The owner must post a sign in accordance with subsection (d) of this Section indicating that firearms are prohibited on the property, unless the property is a private residence.

BUT

(B) Notwithstanding subsection (a) of this Sectiion under paragraph (22) or (23) of subsection (a), any licensee prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm into the parking area of a prohibited location specified in subsection (a) of this Section shall be permitted to carry a concealed firearm on or about his or her person within a vehicle into the parking area and may store a firearm or ammunition concealed in a case within a locked vehicle or locked container out of plain view within the vehicle in the parking area. A licensee may carry a concealed firearm in the immediate area surrounding his or her vehicle within a prohibited parking lot area only for the limited purpose of storing or retrieving a firearm within the vehicle's trunk, provided the licensee ensures the concealed firearm is unloaded prior to exiting the vehicle. For purposes of this subsection, "case" includes a glove compartment or console that completely encloses the concealed firearm or ammunition, the trunk of the vehicle, or a firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container.

© A licensee shall not be in violation of this Section while he or she is traveling along a public right of way that touches or crosses any of the premises under subsection (a) of this Section if the concealed firearm is carried on his or her person in accordance with the provisions of this Act or is being transported in a vehicle by the licensee in accordance with all other applicable provisions of law.

I wonder how many people jumped on the bill-bashing bandwagon without reading the full text of it and knowing exactly what was in it.

I read it and still think it just concentrates and highlights the GFZ's that will be easy target areas for thugs. Especially the public park thing, and the public transport (especially in Chicago).

A side note - prohibited parking areas means no carrying around the parking area but you can have the loaded firearm in your vehicle.

(Notwithstanding subsection (a) of this Section except

09800SB2193ham002 - 26 - LRB098 10174 MRW 46318 a 1 under paragraph (22) or (23) of subsection (a), any licensee 2 prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm into the parking 3 area of a prohibited location specified in subsection (a) of 4 this Section shall be permitted to carry a concealed firearm on 5 or about his or her person within a vehicle into the parking 6 area and may store a firearm or ammunition concealed in a case 7 within a locked vehicle or locked container out of plain view 8 within the vehicle in the parking area. A licensee may carry a 9 concealed firearm in the immediate area surrounding his or her 10 vehicle within a prohibited parking lot area only for the 11 limited purpose of storing or retrieving a firearm within the 12 vehicle's trunk, provided the licensee ensures the concealed 13 firearm is unloaded prior to exiting the vehicle.

I wonder how many people jumped on the bill-bashing bandwagon without reading the full text of it and knowing exactly what was in it.

I read it and still think it just concentrates and highlights the GFZ's that will be easy target areas for thugs. Especially the public park thing, and the public transport (especially in Chicago).

Agree...I don't like the park or playground. So if I take my child to the park I have to leave my gun behind.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

I would like clarification on 12 and 13...does anyone know if the parks in the Rockford area are "under the control of a municipality or park district"? I am reading it that I would not be able to carry in any of the Rockford parks at all...but I'm not sure if they are controlled by Rockford actually, or the DNR have ultimately.

Me!!!! I wonder how many jumped up and saluted the bill without reading the full text of it and knowing exactly what was in it. Those who did read it and did not post the contents in readable format have no reason to blame those who didn't IMO Just saying that you support it does not tell me why.

(b.) Notwithstanding subsection (a) of this Section except under paragraph (22) or (23) of subsection (a), any licensee prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm into the parking area of a prohibited location specified in subsection (a) of this Section shall be permitted to carry a concealed firearm on or about his or her person within a vehicle into the parking area and may store a firearm or ammunition concealed in a case within a locked vehicle or locked container out of plain view within the vehicle in the parking area.

A licensee may carry a concealed firearm in the immediate area surrounding his or her vehicle within a prohibited parking lot area only for the limited purpose of storing or retrieving a firearm within the vehicle's trunk, provided the licensee ensures the concealed firearm is unloaded prior to exiting the vehicle.

For purposes of this subsection, "case" includes a glove compartment or console that completely encloses the concealed firearm or ammunition, the trunk of the vehicle, or a firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container.

If I have to unload the gun before I exit the vehicle in order to put it in the trunk, I am allowed to carry it concealed from the passenger compartment to the trunk.

Once I get to the trunk, how do I transfer it to the truck without it becoming un-concealed for a few moments? How do I prevent it from becoming un-concealed when I retrieve it later? I see a few moments where an AUUW is taking place.

A side note - prohibited parking areas means no carrying around the parking area but you can have the loaded firearm in your vehicle.

(Notwithstanding subsection (a) of this Section except

09800SB2193ham002 - 26 - LRB098 10174 MRW 46318 a 1 under paragraph (22) or (23) of subsection (a), any licensee 2 prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm into the parking 3 area of a prohibited location specified in subsection (a) of 4 this Section shall be permitted to carry a concealed firearm on 5 or about his or her person within a vehicle into the parking 6 area and may store a firearm or ammunition concealed in a case 7 within a locked vehicle or locked container out of plain view 8 within the vehicle in the parking area. A licensee may carry a 9 concealed firearm in the immediate area surrounding his or her 10 vehicle within a prohibited parking lot area only for the 11 limited purpose of storing or retrieving a firearm within the 12 vehicle's trunk, provided the licensee ensures the concealed 13 firearm is unloaded prior to exiting the vehicle.

Was that not in my post? I think it was. Thanks for the emphasis. As others have said, I don't like the GFZ's, penalties, and on and on. With that said, if we can get this one into law, it is one we can live with - even if it is just barely. If the senate rejects it and we wind up having to vote on the Kwame bill in the house, I will be deeply distraught if any down staters vote for it. Further, if we are forced off the cliff by the senate, then all bets are off and we should never return to this bill, Amendment 9, or even the original 997. But that is just me. Now, when can we get those with some degree of access to the guys who vote to state likewise?

Would someone clear this up for me. Does a county forest preserve fall under the definition of a "park"?

Rott beat me to it. I too live in the rockford area except i was cocerned about winnebago county forest preserves

since Cook County Forest Preserves are specifically prohibited I would assume other county forest preserves are OK, but IANAL

23 is redundant.

If I have to unload the gun before I exit the vehicle in order to put it in the trunk, I am allowed to carry it concealed from the passenger compartment to the trunk.

Once I get to the trunk, how do I transfer it to the truck without it becoming un-concealed for a few moments? How do I prevent it from becoming un-concealed when I retrieve it later? I see a few moments where an AUUW is taking place.

You are not required to put the gun in the trunk, but if you choose to I would presume it would only be safe to do so if no one was around to see it, or you put it in a case or bag of some sort before you get out of the vehicle.

Me!!!! I wonder how many jumped up and saluted the bill without reading the full text of it and knowing exactly what was in it. Those who did read it and did not post the contents in readable format have no reason to blame those who didn't IMO Just saying that you support it does not tell me why.

Not to be contrary Grey, but doesn't that work both ways..?? IN all fairness, shouldn't it work both ways..??

Those who opposed it and did not post any contents in readable format to show what they did not agree with and only complained were just as wrong -- and there was a lot of that going on. I know it was a stressful time, but there were a lot of comments against it (still are) with no or very little documentation provided to validate those complaint. Not to mention there were some instances of certain people appearing to deliberately post false and misleading information which drove a lot of anxiety for some of the folks that had not read the bill....

What you did in this thread is a good approach -- here it is -- now let's talk about it... I applaud that...

You are not required to put the gun in the trunk, but if you choose to I would presume it would only be safe to do so if no one was around to see it, or you put it in a case or bag of some sort before you get out of the vehicle.

That sounds like a reasonable solution to the problem and I am sure that after we all start carrying we will learn what we have to do in the places we have to go to. The problem that I have is that when we all get comfortable with a weapon on us, what will happen when we get outside of our area of comfort -- our community and negligently find ourselves with a firearm in a prohibited place and then be faced with an arrest for a misdemeanor. Yeah, I know. It could be worse so just be careful, but still ...... I still hope the senate passes this imperfect bill and if it doesn't I hope it really ticks off Madigan.

No carry on bike trails then?

It seems like it would be allowed if the entire path was not contained in said prohibited area....example path is 10 miles long 1 mile is in prohibited park area= you would be able to carry. Correct me if i am wrong

Reading the bill that was my understanding as well.

Mine too. Seems I can walk or ride through the park as long as I stay on the trail or path and said path just happens to run through the park. Maybe someone has a different interpretation ......

I made a comment about 2 this morning about having a vision of Davis, Flowers, Williams, Nekritz, and Persnickety in a group singing THE WILD WILD WEST --- THE WILD WILD WEST.... (I make no claims of sobriety at the time)

I am sure this state will experience a period of growth and adjustment but I honestly do not believe there will be witch hunts -- for sure not after the first couple defendants collect their incredibly large award checks.... We need to get past our fears and paranoia if we expect the other side to get past theirs...

If you folks want to worry about something, here is something real to worry about and I will personally guarantee it will happen to everyone of us eventually.... As you become more experienced with carrying, and you find what provides the most comfortable method for you, the risk then becomes that you forget it is there and walk in somewhere that you shouldn't...... I've done it. Wait until the first time you forget you have a gun and you walk into your local bank -- that one will get your attention once the light bulb comes on -- and you will be amazed how quickly manage to walk back out...!!!

OH. And I'm pretty sure you really meant to type "where a UUW is taking place, not a AUUW"...... If the A part was true then you deserve to get arrested.... :drool:

If it is unloaded and in a case it isn't a "concealed" firearm anymore. It is an unloaded, cased firearm that can be transported just about anywhere per the exceptions of the existing laws, isn't it?

Not I. I'm realistic, I have my gripes with certain parts of the bill, too...I just read it after reading some of what people said was in it, before making comments.

By the way, please don't take my post as a swipe or dig at you...it wasn't (I commented on your other post with some language in it, saying I thought it was a great idea to post it), though in retrospect I can see how it would come across that way. I didn't specify, but I was thinking more along the lines of the people who swore what was in the bill, that actually wasn't on it.

No carry on bike trails then?

You can't carry pretty much anywhere besides in your car or walking down the street, granted it's not in front of any of the restricted areas like a school, day care, hospital, etc,..

In my circumstances under this bill it appears as if i will be able to carry 99% of my daily life.. I personally already avoid bars due to fools and overprices drinks, festivals as i generally prefer wildlife over large masses of people, refuse to go to chicago (rockford is close enough) at all costs so mass transit is not an issue, do not ever go to any campuses, rarely (maybe once every few years ever need to go to any gov building) avoid city parks as i prefer county parks (this is my biggest concern), use the drive thru at the bank, and will find friendly private businesses that will get my dollars. I guess i am one of the lucky ones :D

Archived