Guest visitors to IL Carry site...

AmphOne

Prior to registering for an account, I too, viewed this site multiple times a day. Especially after applying for my carry license in our home state of IL.

So many questions... Clicking away at post after post in every topic I could access.

BUT - I couldn't communicate with anyone here.

Just like you, I couldn't ask any of the questions in mind or respond to those who did have concerns.

At the moment I write this, there are more "guests" visiting the site than there are members logged-in. (I'm guessing there could be a handful of folks snooping), but there seems to be a general interest in our newly recognized right in our home state and this is a great place to communicate with others just like us.

I, for one, have never met any other Illinois citizen with a license to carry and sometimes feel like I'm the only one. It's strange. Reading of other peoples' (IC members) experiences on this site is a bit comforting to know that there are open lines of communication available to those considering firearm ownership and/or exercising your right to carry.

I don't know if any guests will have the opportunity to read this, but we encourage you to create an account and get involved.

**Mods/Admins: I cannot recall if "The Back Room" is viewable by non-members.

Thanks, everyone for keeping the flow of information constant and for being some of Illinois' safest firearm owners/handlers!

Welcome :) You should come to one of our get-togethers, we're a friendly bunch.

Bob... I see those from time to time. It's a matter of "am I not working?". I'm self-employed and running the hours day-to-day making a living. Would love to meet some folks here. (the nice ones). Perhaps, another one in the future!

Well, the get-togethers tend to be on evenings or weekends (sometimes both!)

Okay.. where do I find Todd? AND am I going to get into any legal trouble returning home from his party? hahaha!

He posts frequently on the board. I didn't get in trouble because I am a good boy pled the fifth :)

Prior to registering for an account, I too, viewed this site multiple times a day. Especially after applying for my carry license in our home state of IL.

So many questions... Clicking away at post after post in every topic I could access.

BUT - I couldn't communicate with anyone here.

Just like you, I couldn't ask any of the questions in mind or respond to those who did have concerns.

At the moment I write this, there are more "guests" visiting the site than there are members logged-in. (I'm guessing there could be a handful of folks snooping), but there seems to be a general interest in our newly recognized right in our home state and this is a great place to communicate with others just like us.

I, for one, have never met any other Illinois citizen with a license to carry and sometimes feel like I'm the only one. It's strange. Reading of other peoples' (IC members) experiences on this site is a bit comforting to know that there are open lines of communication available to those considering firearm ownership and/or exercising your right to carry.

I don't know if any guests will have the opportunity to read this, but we encourage you to create an account and get involved.

**Mods/Admins: I cannot recall if "The Back Room" is viewable by non-members.

Thanks, everyone for keeping the flow of information constant and for being some of Illinois' safest firearm owners/handlers!

I just checked my favorite gun site.

35,548 members

586 viewers

196 members

386 non registered

And that seems to be the same % day after day.

Some folks just come to learn but will not register.

Eventually most will join and say "I do not know why I did not do it a long time ago."

Welcome and hope to see you at IGOLD next March.

AmphOne - A good post, and it would certainly be good to get some additional views here. I created a log in just so I could respond to your post, and perhaps shed some light on why more guests, than members.

ATTITUDE

As an NRA member for several decades, and an ISRA member as well, I typically visit more accommodating sites than this one. There are many knowledgeable people here. A lot of good information that can help those with questions, and while certainly not all, there are a fairly large number of "know it all's" that are either condescending in their response, or try to impress readers with how much they think they know, and make it clear the poster knows so little. I feel bad for those with little experience that ask questions and get shot down unnecessarily. Aggressive personalites with firearms, using just a keyboard to communicate, seems like a bad combination, but I'll save that discussion for another day.

There are many levels of firearm knowledge and experience, and most of them are represented here. It may be lost on some, but we all share a common interest. The ability to protect ourselves and our loved ones, through the knowledge gained, training, and responsibility required to carry a firearm. It's unfortunate that some forget that at one time, they had the same questions that I've seen get asked here, that they now belittle. Helping someone gain the knowledge that you've acquired only makes this site better by gaining more members, and more knowledgeable Illinois firearm owners.

Why so many guests reading and not participating? There can be a lot of good information here, specific to Illinois Carry, but they don't want to participate in "discussions" that lack professionalism, civility, and common sense courtesy.

I appreciate the effort by those responsible for making this site available and keeping it running, it can be an interesting read. Best of luck to all.

I typically visit more accommodating sites than this one. There are many knowledgeable people here. A lot of good information that can help those with questions, and while certainly not all, there are a fairly large number of "know it all's" that are either condescending in their response, or try to impress readers with how much they think they know, and make it clear the poster knows so little. I feel bad for those with little experience that ask questions and get shot down unnecessarily.

Wild Bill,

Thank you very much for your post. It should be a wake up call to every single member who does not respond to questions in a respectful and thoughtful manner.

We try hard to keep the 'know-it-alls' and cyber goliaths in tow - please feel free to PM when you see someone being unwelcoming. We were all fresh-faced and uninformed at one time, we need to be reminded of that fact - some more often than others.

Why so many guests reading and not participating? There can be a lot of good information here, specific to Illinois Carry, but they don't want to participate in "discussions" that lack professionalism, civility, and common sense courtesy.

This. Several times some of us here, including myself, can take the time to breath, check what we've typed, get up from the chair and not hit that post button.

Oops. Thought the thread title referred to folks like me (guest visitor). I live in Ohio now, but am from Illinois. Poked around to find a site regarding carry laws for those of us who have a license/permit to carry from other states. I knew there was no reciprocity with Ohio but wanted to confirm the law regarding car carry for those of us visiting Illinois.

Earlier I PM'd Molly B and she was kind enough to give a quick overview and then the actual language of the law.

Thanks again, Molly and a big congrats to all you Illinois residents who now enjoy concealed carry.

I'll stop by from time to time to see how the laws change. Our law passed in 2004 and through the work of volunteers and organizations like Ohioans For Concealed Carry we've been able to cull out many of the more restrictive portions (although we still have several more items on the list). I suspect the same will happen in Illinois.

Congrats again and stay safe!

Archived