I'm moving to Michigan

1911-380

Hello friends,

My wife and I are originally from Michigan. My father in law has developed a pretty bad case of Alzheimer's that has steadily gotten worse over the last few years to where he needs some help now. I've taken a job in Michigan so we can be closer to family and able to help him. We'll be moving there in the next coming months.

I was hoping to get some insight regarding carrying after moving. I'm an Illinois CCL and Michigan does have reciprocity.

1. After moving it will be a few months before we establish MI residency (drivers license, car registrations, etc.). During the transition we'll be staying with family for a while and I am assuming I can continue to carry as I'd technically still be considered an Illinois resident. To me this seems no different than if I was visiting MI for a few weeks and decided to carry. Would you agree?

2. What about after I establish MI residency? Once I am a permanent resident of MI, can I continue carrying due to the fact that I have an out of state CCL that has reciprocity with my MI? Or does my Illinois CCL become void the moment I'm no longer a resident? Would I need to obtain a MI CCL once i obtain residency? I plan to do Michigans CCL course anyway as I think it's wise to receive training on their laws and regulations. I'm just curious about the interim if I can legally continue carrying.

Thanks for the help

Congrats, I'm moving there too. Wife and I are also from Michigan.

Here's some info regarding CCL in Michigan

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7-123-1878_1591_3503_4654-10926--,00.html

One big thing to note is that when you become a Michigan Resident you are suppose to wait 6 months before applying for a CCL UNLESS you can prove you had one from another state. So make sure you do that.

Not sure on #1 since Michigan has no grace period for registration, DL etc. You're required to do so immediately. I'd probably get the ball rolling asap just to cover your butt.

Congrats on getting out of this sinking ship of a state.

That should only be a potential issue if the primary residence in Illinois is no longer in play. If you sell your IL home, at that point MI may have issues. Otherwise any one living in MI for part of the year would have to keep switching residency every time they vacation for the summer/winter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We had a degree of urgency when we moved up here as our insurance company did not operate in Mi. We couldn't get local insurance till we changed or DLs and plates. Once we had that in hand, it took about 10-15 days to get the MI ccw. Michigan just honored my Florida, Az., Utah ccw till my Mi came through. FYI, there is a movement pushing to get constitutional carry enacted in Mi. I don't know the local politics yet, but it looks like it could have a good chance of passing. Much friendlier gun attitude up here. From the LEOs to county officials, my experience here in Arenac county was very cordial and pleasant.

We had a degree of urgency when we moved up here as our insurance company did not operate in Mi. We couldn't get local insurance till we changed or DLs and plates. Once we had that in hand, it took about 10-15 days to get the MI ccw. Michigan just honored my Florida, Az., Utah ccw till my Mi came through. FYI, there is a movement pushing to get constitutional carry enacted in Mi. I don't know the local politics yet, but it looks like it could have a good chance of passing. Much friendlier gun attitude up here. From the LEOs to county officials, my experience here in Arenac county was very cordial and pleasant.

I'm glad it worked out for you. But you were probably inadvertently carrying illegally for those 10-15 days. MI does not recognize any non-resident licenses. So an MI resident or an IL resident with a FL, AZ, UT CCW cannot carry there.

Archived