New Combined FCCL and FOID?

TRJ

As I recall when concealed carry passed there was alot of talk about these two cards becoming one and even recall a few politicians talking about it. My memory has never been my best asset, but all that chatter completely died down.

Those that received their FCCL after the initial issuance period recieved a new FOID with their FCCL. The numbers of each were the same. One card makes too much sense as does showing the endorsement on a Driver's license. That would eliminate patronage jobs.................

Those that received their FCCL after the initial issuance period recieved a new FOID with their FCCL. The numbers of each were the same. One card makes too much sense as does showing the endorsement on a Driver's license. That would eliminate patronage jobs.................

Yes, but they still maintain two separate cards with separate expiration dates and separate fees...yes?

I know the FCCL is considered acceptable in place of a FOID for the sake of making a purchase, but that doesn't make it a replacement for the FOID, but rather a complement to it.

I thought part of the CCL law was studying potentially combining the two?

It had a time limit that time limit passed. Actually didnt even get off the ground in the stated time period. The Secretary of State and the Illinois State police didnt want to get together.

It had a time limit that time limit passed. Actually didnt even get off the ground in the stated time period. The Secretary of State and the Illinois State police didnt want to get together.

Two government entities not communicating. Imagine that.

While there would be a convenience factor, I would not care to have the Walmart (or whereever) clerk know I have a CCL when buying ammo.

Best guess as to OP discussion would be those getting the 2 cards with the same number now as mentioned above.

Those that received their FCCL after the initial issuance period recieved a new FOID with their FCCL. The numbers of each were the same....

I got my cards after the initial issuance period. I did not get a new FOID with my CCL. The number on my CCL is the same as on my existing FOID.

What would make sense (maybe too much?) is if I get a new FOID when I renew my CCL, because otherwise the FOID would expire before the (renewed) CCL. That's a few years yet for me.

I'd rather have the FOID go away.

As stated above, the FCCA as passed included a provision to study combining the FOID and CCL, but not a directive to do so. That never happened. What the other forum's posters may be confused about is ISP's current practice of reissuing a FOID with the licensee's CCL number.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

One of the main arguments was the FOID is 10 year and CCL is 5 year. And no one liked the idea of the foid expiring sooner than it already does, as it would have still been the same cost, just twice as often.

ETA: What it should be is if you have a CCL you don't need a FOID. FOID would only be needed if you owned and didn't want to carry.

Of course the foid gone all together is best, but odds are...

One of the main arguments was the FOID is 10 year and CCL is 5 year. And no one liked the idea of the foid expiring sooner than it already does, as it would have still been the same cost, just twice as often.

ETA: What it should be is if you have a CCL you don't need a FOID. FOID would only be needed if you owned and didn't want to carry.

yes, but some folks don't want to advertise that they are armed when they're buying ammo at walmart. I have friends with FCCL who don't carry. It was obtained because they know s happens and they don't want to be caught in red tape purgatory should they wake up one day and need to carry. They keep the FCCL in their safe and carry their FOID cards.

yes, but some folks don't want to advertise that they are armed when they're buying ammo at walmart. I have friends with FCCL who don't carry. It was obtained because they know s happens and they don't want to be caught in red tape purgatory should they wake up one day and need to carry. They keep the FCCL in their safe and carry their FOID cards.

The argument of using FOID vs FCCL has long passed qualifying for the Preakness. I have yet to hear it announced over the PA, "Attention in the store. Janice Olsen is buying ammunition with her CCL". Other than the clerk, 1 or 2 others might see, briefly, the ID that a purchaser is using. They don't care.

I will use the card, or cards, that I choose. Everyone is free to make their own choice. All choices have their real and imagined benefits and risks.

Those that received their FCCL after the initial issuance period recieved a new FOID with their FCCL. The numbers of each were the same....

I got my cards after the initial issuance period. I did not get a new FOID with my CCL. The number on my CCL is the same as on my existing FOID.

What would make sense (maybe too much?) is if I get a new FOID when I renew my CCL, because otherwise the FOID would expire before the (renewed) CCL. That's a few years yet for me.

You probably got your FOID after the CCL was enacted then. I got my CCL fairly early on, and I was issued a new FOID with a new number that matches my CCL.

Before the election, I'm sure they'll ram through a bill requiring your FOID to be crazy glued to your a** and have "WARNING: CHILD MURDERING PSYCHO GUN NUT" tattooed on your forehead ... and another restricting gun ownership to .22 caliber single action revolvers.

I could live with a single FOID/FCCL card but there is no way I want either noted on my DL for anyone to see when I show my DL for a financial transaction.

I was in the very first group of people to receive the FCCL back in March 2014. When I learned that it would serve the purpose of the FOID for buying guns and ammo I stopped carrying the FOID at all. I have been under the impression that if I had any encounter with law enforcement the FCCL would serve to cover me since you cannot get an FCCL without already having a valid FOID. Do the rest of you still carry both cards, and if so, why?

Personally I could not care less if the clerk in the gun shop, or Walmart, knows that I have an FCCL. He still has no idea if I am carrying at that moment. And if he suspects I am, so what?

I have carried my FOID card every day since I first got one at the age of 15. I am now 63 , working on 64 and don't see a reason to not carry it. I also do not want to see the cards combined.

Personally I could not care less if the clerk in the gun shop, or Walmart, knows that I have an FCCL. He still has no idea if I am carrying at that moment. And if he suspects I am, so what?

Theres more to the story, BUT...

http://abcnews.go.com/US/walmart-employee-turns-man-charged-possessing-weapons-cache/story?id=53816017

A Walmart employee's tip has led to a large weapons bust near a college campus in upstate New York.

..."Federal authorities filed charges against Maximilien Reynolds, 19, on Friday for two counts of possession of an unregistered destructive device and a silencer, false statement in acquisition of a firearm and a false statement in required firearm record.

According to the criminal complaint, a Walmart employee in Ithaca, New York, called police after Reynolds allegedly purchased ammunition, camping gear, drill bits, tools, hacksaw blades and knives with a gift card."...

Maybe this should go in the Walmart thread instead ;-)

My not carrying the FOID is for two reasons. One, I am trying continuously to lighten the load in my wallet to avoid long term back and hip pain. I find that with only carrying what I truly need in the wallet I can keep it thin and light and easily fit into my right front pocket. The second reason is that should I ever lose my wallet, I will still have my FOID card at home and not even temporarily find myself technically committing a felony by having firearms in my home and no FOID card.

My not carrying the FOID is for two reasons. One, I am trying continuously to lighten the load in my wallet to avoid long term back and hip pain. I find that with only carrying what I truly need in the wallet I can keep it thin and light and easily fit into my right front pocket. The second reason is that should I ever lose my wallet, I will still have my FOID card at home and not even temporarily find myself technically committing a felony by having firearms in my home and no FOID card.

As stated I do this also.

I don’t carry the foid and when I go to the range they won’t take the cal, they just take my drivers license to hold. I have had a Dicks employee say he can’t sell with this buttold him to get the mgr and read the laws. The mgr came over, I had to tell him the same thing. He said it makes sense and sold us the 22LR. This was when it was scarce.

Archived