Trigger Farms

Hipshot Percussion

Just got home from the p.m. class with the girls. Lots of good instruction from both instructors. The girls needed a little extra work to help them with their grip, and stance. The best thing that came out of it was the confidence the girls earned today. Looking forward to going again after they practice their new skills.

Ha! King and I were chatting next to his bike when you drove up. I took the AM class.

You were right, class was awesome. My buddy Ken wants to do the class again. See you next month.

Just got home from the p.m. class with the girls. Lots of good instruction from both instructors. The girls needed a little extra work to help them with their grip, and stance. The best thing that came out of it was the confidence the girls earned today. Looking forward to going again after they practice their new skills.

That was you. Awesome, the girls did a good job. I hope to see you guys again soon. It was a great day. Hot, but good. You're right, I could see the difference in their confidence by the end of class.

I'm assuming you were the taller of the two gentlemen that came on the Harley Davidsons. Steffie had a blast and you guys helped with that.

Yes, I was the taller guy on the silver / copper colored Harley. You're right, I was watching your wife when she was shooting. She did settle down by the end of class and was doing great.

I didn't know who the little blonde was but she grabbed me up to run the competition drill with her at the end. She also did a good job once she got going. Tell her I said thanks for the good day.

Next time we'll have to talk. You were way too quiet.

I'm generally pretty quiet in unfamiliar company. Sorry about that. Once I warm up my personality comes out and you'll struggle to get words in.

Just the same, nice "meeting" you, we'll do it right next time.

I'm much the same in regard to being quiet around new people, but I will say King is pretty easy to talk with. I met him at Todds first pool party.

I'm generally pretty quiet in unfamiliar company. Sorry about that. Once I warm up my personality comes out and you'll struggle to get words in.

Just the same, nice "meeting" you, we'll do it right next time.

I'm much the same in regards to being quiet around new people, but I will say King is pretty easy to talk with. I met him at Todds first pool party.

Hey I resemble that remark. Haha, That was a few years ago. Plus I had a blast that day.

So a couple of things I noticed while you and your son where shooting.

1. You both have decent trigger control and can hit targets at that range
  2. you both bring the gun very low during reloads which is causing you to take forever to hit the reloads
  3. When you load to prep the gun keep it up in the position like you are catching a basketball
  4. Hit the mag release before tilting the gun so that the mag drops out
  5. If it does not drop free with the gun not tilted either get your gunsmith to work on the gun or try different mags that are now swelled up
  6. Stop sawing the gun in and out quickly when you fire keep the gun out before bringing it in and bring is back to a higher position (stop being in a race to bring the gun back just lower the gun like 2 inches to observe your results)
  7. In general raise your workspace (the area you do reloads and all admin functions) of the gun to upper chest area
  8. Also it looks like you gun belts are not run through the loops of your pants (this is why it is hard for you folks to reholster)

By the way nice shooting your trigger control and sight alignment look good. Again practice hitting the mag release with the gun not tilted and you will hae much better results on the reload.

Sorry for the unsolicited advise feel free to ignore it if you do not find a value but my reload is around 1.25 on average.

So a couple of things I noticed while you and your son where shooting.

1. You both have decent trigger control and can hit targets at that range
  2. you both bring the gun very low during reloads which is causing you to take forever to hit the reloads
  3. When you load to prep the gun keep it up in the position like you are catching a basketball
  4. Hit the mag release before tilting the gun so that the mag drops out
  5. If it does not drop free with the gun not tilted either get your gunsmith to work on the gun or try different mags that are now swelled up
  6. Stop sawing the gun in and out quickly when you fire keep the gun out before bringing it in and bring is back to a higher position (stop being in a race to bring the gun back just lower the gun like 2 inches to observe your results)
  7. In general raise your workspace (the area you do reloads and all admin functions) of the gun to upper chest area
  8. Also it looks like you gun belts are not run through the loops of your pants (this is why it is hard for you folks to reholster)

By the way nice shooting your trigger control and sight alignment look good. Again practice hitting the mag release with the gun not tilted and you will hae much better results on the reload.

Sorry for the unsolicited advise feel free to ignore it if you do not find a value but my reload is around 1.25 on average.

I'm happy to take all advice given. I can't get better without it. :)

• 4 months later...

My son and I did the Advanced course for the first time yesterday 9/30. We didn't realize, with the advanced defensive handgun class, they only take 4-6 students versus 10 for the basic class. There were only four of us and with the two Johns, the instructor to student ratio was obviously terrific :) As always, safety is paramount at Trigger Farms which makes you feel confident to do the things they ask of you.

We started with about 20 rounds on paper - just to warm up. Then multiple shots on multiple targets while moving. We did contact distance drills, shooting your off-hand out to the perp (Target) hitting it, then quickly pulling the off-hand back to your chest while drawing and firing five shots at about 2.5-3 feet., the gun mid-chest high, hand tucked to your ribs, - kinda like a how Bogart would hold a gun in those old movies - you can feel the blowback on your jaw and face.

We did tap and rack drills while moving and shooting on multiple targets. The Johns supply dummy rounds and you load 4-5 mags with 5-6 rounds and the dummy rounds added in. It's amazing how, even though you know they are there, when you're moving and shooting and the Johns yelling at you at the same time, it still comes as a surprise when you pull the trigger and... nothing... it takes just a split second to realize it, tap, rack all the while John is yelling at you to KEEP MOVING, then firing a round or two and the slide locks back and you have to reload while John is yelling KEEP MOVING THEY ARE COMING FOR YOU!!! Having never done this LIVE before, and with others watching, it brings on the stress and adrenaline required to get your brain working the way it should. Add in I'm 62 and all the moving is making me out of breath and it was a real eye-opener on what many of us have only read about.

We did some precision shooting from 5 yds out to 20 yds. We did a kind of "aim small miss small" target shooting. We did shooting from a sitting position. We did it off-handed and strong hand only -while sitting - double taps at steel targets.

We worked on working from a car, unbelting, drawing, firing two shots, single-handed, at a mannequin just outside the passenger window, the SAFELY bringing the pistol across to the left while opening the drivers door with your left hand on the outside door handle, using the open door as cover, double tapping another mannequin at the left front side, then backing up using the car as cover and as a guide to lean against as you move backward, still using your threat detection skills. Then to the back of the car, crouching or lying down to check on the maybe downed passenger side bad guy, maybe he's up and another double tap, maybe he is down and you then move back to the left, using the car as cover, before double tapping the front bad guy again - as he was able to get up and still be a threat.

After 3.5 hours of this, we did a drill that required running about 75 yds, then stopping, drawing and firing on a rack of 8-10" steel plates at about 20' - sweating, breathing heavy and working your calming yourself, your hands, picking up your sights and firing.

We also ran the steel plate course from the Basic class at the end, just for fun.

Amazing day. I can't say enough about the two Johns and Trigger Farms. Both of the other shooters - Tony and Todd - were also here on Illinois carry and we had been at other classes with both of them, making for a really comfortable atmostphere. The weather was great, but it got hotter than I anticipated and I had skipped breakfast. I had to sit down at one point (about 2.5 hours in) and had some Gatorade the Johns had on ice for whoever wanted it.

My son and I went through somewhere in the neighborhood of 800 rounds each. It's actually an arduous day, much harder than I thought it would be - lots of moving and shooting. There were times we stopped and went over things we were doing wrong or needed to do better, plus individual instruction. At one point, during the close contact drills - this one was shoot your hand out, draw and fire five rounds with the one-handed, close to the ribs shooting position, then shoot the adjoining target, moving to a two-handed grip. Sounds easy, right? Wow, a simple sequence that was very hard to do smoothly, as your brain is thinking 1- shoot out your hand a bring it back quickly 2-draw and bring the gun to the #2 position 3- fire five shots 4- pick up the second target with your eyes 5 - push your hands out and fire... and that's how it feels for few rounds, until your brain catches up and the 1-2-3-4-5 thought turns into a fluid movement.

There was more, instruction on what and why we're doing things and other drills. Incredibly cool and fun day.

Thanks to the two Johns! Can't beat the price and the instruction.

I'm sold. I will be signing up soon. Hopefully get the wife there too, she'll have to wait till next year, can't have her doing it while prego. Maybe even a few buds.

You have to do at least two rounds of the Basic Defensive Handgun class before you can take the Advanced class. The Basic is a blast too! 300-400 rounds - multiples, steel plates, move and shoot, position shooting, steel plate course etc... that one is $50.00 for the three hour course. Usually a morning and an afternoon class are available.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived