Target shooting on on property

tommyd78

Our city uses this statute to prosecute.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/fulltext.asp?DocName=072000050K24-1.5

Taken from the ordinance.

Unlawful use of a weapon in violation of 720 ILCS 5/24-1; aggravated discharge of a firearm in violation of 720 ILCS 5/24-1.5; and unlawful possession of a firearm and firearm ammunition in violation of 720 ILCS 5/24-3.1; or

So its ok unless someone complains and calls the police?

I grew up in the country and was able to shoot anytime I wanted . 10 years ago we had to move to town and I hate not being able to shoot at any time of day.

As to your question about someone calling the police , I have heard on the scanner many times in the past few years of people complaining about shooting going on out in the country. The deputies go check it out and report back that all is well. I figure it relates to more anti's moving out into the country and not knowing the ways of country life.

Where I live in Oswego it is unincorporated literally on the other side of the street. Oswego has a 'no discharge of firearms within city limits' law with exceptions for defense of self or others, LEOs etc. Across the street the homeowners shoot all the time as they are outside of the village limits and Kendall has no such restrictions. I openly wish I could join them!

So. IL here as well and I can step out the back door and shoot any time, however out of respect for my nearest neighbor, I try to make sure he is not home. He's a little gun shy after being accidently shot a few years back by a neighbor on the other side of him. I can also go out to the family farm my sister and I co-own and shoot anytime, but I avoid Sunday mornings as there church just down the road. I try to be a courteous neighbor.

Our city uses this statute to prosecute.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/fulltext.asp?DocName=072000050K24-1.5

Unlawful use of a weapon in violation of 720 ILCS 5/24-1; aggravated discharge of a firearm in violation of 720 ILCS 5/24-1.5; and unlawful possession of a firearm and firearm ammunition in violation of 720 ILCS 5/24-3.1; or

I don't understand how this could stand up, if there was a safe backstop, what could be reckless, or aggravated.

Now if there was no safe backstop , and bullets were leaving the property, then this charge could stick.

And as someone who has seen a bullet pass through a wall and over a friends head, who had just sat down, I would agree with the charges.

Now many municipalities have ordinances against discharge of firearms with the city limits, with a few exceptions, those would make shooting illegal.

Matt

... I can also go out to the family farm my sister and I co-own and shoot anytime, but I avoid Sunday mornings as there church just down the road. I try to be a courteous neighbor.

Funny, I was teaching a friend to shoot when I lived in S. IL (S of Murphysboro) and he kept asking if it was Ok (same as I did when I moved out to the country, fire a few shots and wait for the cops to show up. Got used to it real quick, though.)

It was Sunday and right before small game season, I just told him to wait until Church got out and everybody would be shooting.

Sure enough, around noon there was the sounds of gunfire in all directions.

It sure was nice to be able to shoot on the property, now I have to drive at least 15 minutes to shoot on private property.

Still not bad for shooting, but it makes working up new loads more of a pain, I am itching to load a bunch of 9mm, but I want to try my 15 test rounds out first before loading up a mess of them.

Matt

I live in Chicago, and you know that the CPD and the RahmsFührer are all for shooting on your own property. They are so enthusiastic about it, they throw a big, giant party where all the police show up, with rave lights flashing all over the place, and they join in the shooting themselves most of the time. It's so nice to see law enforcement and the local government get involved in neighborhood activities like that!

Our city uses this statute to prosecute.http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/fulltext.asp?DocName=072000050K24-1.5

I don't understand how this could stand up, if there was a safe backstop, what could be reckless, or aggravated.

Now if there was no safe backstop , and bullets were leaving the property, then this charge could stick.

And as someone who has seen a bullet pass through a wall and over a friends head, who had just sat down, I would agree with the charges.

Now many municipalities have ordinances against discharge of firearms with the city limits, with a few exceptions, those would make shooting illegal.

Matt

So you are a lawyer? I posted the ordinance for East Peoria so you saying it isn't the ordinance or are you saying it would be OK to test it since you say it won't stand up since there would be no chance of harm at all to anyone in the city. BTW the city of Peoria even has shot monitors to pinpoint where the shots originated from. Be my guest to check them out.

I seem to recall several local ordinances (rural) that you couldn't discharge a firearm within x number of feet from another house. I'm south as well. I have timber in back, and a shooting lane similar to hickock, only it is maybe 75 yards before the brush grows back in late spring. I shoot when I want, but with neighbors nearby, I tend to do it on a weekday when they are gone or when they come over to shoot with us.

In will county your not allowed to shoot within a "residential area" defined as any place with 3 structures within 900 feet.(Also can't be near railroads)

I've spent some time on google earth making sure I'm within the law when I'm out shooting at a friends. I believe most of the towns in my area forbid the discharge of a firearm within city limits unless in self defense though, so it really only applies to unicorporated.

Where I live in Oswego it is unincorporated literally on the other side of the street. Oswego has a 'no discharge of firearms within city limits' law with exceptions for defense of self or others, LEOs etc. Across the street the homeowners shoot all the time as they are outside of the village limits and Kendall has no such restrictions. I openly wish I could join them!

yep, when I was a kid, Oswego incorp'd the farm, but only 100 yards from the road. Soon as you got behind the corn crib you were in "unincorporated".

some how them frickin' wood chucks knew right where that line was. They quit digging under the grain bins, and went for the shed...

the dream is to have my own range, some day, some day.

We used to shoot trap and skeet every Sunday afternoon at my dad's place when the weather was good. We did our own reloading too. Dads, uncles, cousins, brothers, we made a family affair out of it. No problems. We also had a nice berm into which we could shoot single projectile weapons. Then Oswego school district built a school right next store and now we are within 1000 ft. of school property. We quit shooting out there as we figured we were in violation. After discussion with Kendall county SA Weis, we were told we could shoot there. But when some town busybody hears gunfire and calls the law, we get a visit from some cop that wants to check everything out. FOIDs, weapons, munitions etc. Still zoned ag though.

Archived