Photo

Wrongfully Denied for "Court Ordered Treatment for Alcoholism"

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#181 sologuy

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 01:10 PM

First:  Try the online appeal option and submit your court documents showing the 5 year period has expired.  If the system will not let you do that then email an explanation and a copy of the documents to:  CCL_Appeals@isp.state.il.us

Since the denial was 2+ years ago, it's possible they will need to clear your application from the system and you reapply.  But I would try the online appeal first and see if this can be done without having to pay the $150 fee again.

I don't want to muddy up this thread too much.  When does the 5 year period lapse?  From when I was charged, or when the case was officially closed?

I was charged in June of 2011, but the case wasn't officially marked closed in till October 2013.  The charges were amended in 2012.

#182 Quiet Observer

• Supporting Members Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 02:11 PM

I don't want to muddy up this thread too much. When does the 5 year period lapse? From when I was charged, or when the case was officially closed?
I was charged in June of 2011, but the case wasn't officially marked closed in till October 2013. The charges were amended in 2012.

This is a partial list from Section 25 Qualifications of the FCCL:

It looks like it depends on the date you were convicted, if you were convicted.  The arrest date does not matter.

"(3) has not been convicted or found guilty in this State or in any other state of:

(A) a misdemeanor involving the use or threat of physical force or violence to any person within the 5 years preceding the date of the license application; or

(B ) 2 or more violations related to driving  while under the influence of alcohol, other drug or drugs, intoxicating compound or compounds, or any combination thereof, within the 5 years preceding the date of the license application;

(4) is not the subject of a pending arrest warrant, prosecution, or proceeding for an offense or action that could lead to disqualification to own or possess a firearm;

(5) has not been in residential or court-ordered treatment for alcoholism, alcohol detoxification, or drug treatment within the 5 years immediately preceding the date of the license application; "

Edited by Quiet Observer, 04 August 2016 - 02:13 PM.

#183 IronSam

• PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 08:42 AM

The 5 year rule only applies to 2 or more DUI convictions. If your denial is for "Treatment" within the last 5 years you can appeal with a request for administrative review, assuming that's the only issue. The form is on the first page of this thread. I don't know if a time limit applies to that. Molly might know. Check the law or try the emailing the ISP. They've been good about replying. They'll most likely quote the rule in the law if one applies.

#184 bimmerdude

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 12:54 PM

What does "appeal under review" mean? When I do inspect element is days span class =Appealed. I was denied by the ISP back in August 2015 for alcohol treatment do to an DUI arrest back in Jan 2012. I uploaded all my documents proving this was an evaluation on the ISP website around the middle of August. Then right before the end of August (2015) I received and email from an Firearms Eligibility Analyst from ISP asking me to fax all my papers from my evaluation showing that I was not treated for alcohol abuse. Long story short my status for the last 5 months has been at "Appeal Under Review" 

#185 IronSam

• PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:32 PM

That's a good sign. Looks like you're getting closer. Mine took around seven months. They investigate those individually. Watch for status change to Approved. 

#186 bimmerdude

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 07:44 AM

Thanks IronSam !

#187 ITguy1686

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:50 PM

I applied for CCL February 2015. I was denied because of my DUI in August 2010 required alcohol treatment classes. I waited until the five year mark passed and submitted an appeal with supporting documents in December 2015. I even got a response from the appeal department saying everything appeared in order and it was beyond the 5 year mark. As of today 1 year and 4 months later it still shows appeal under review. Hope everyone is having better luck than me because I am starting to get frustrated.

#188 Molly B.

IllinoisCarry spokesperson

• 14,659 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:42 PM

I applied for CCL February 2015. I was denied because of my DUI in August 2010 required alcohol treatment classes. I waited until the five year mark passed and submitted an appeal with supporting documents in December 2015. I even got a response from the appeal department saying everything appeared in order and it was beyond the 5 year mark. As of today 1 year and 4 months later it still shows appeal under review. Hope everyone is having better luck than me because I am starting to get frustrated.

Please send me a private message with your full legal name, date of birth, and application number and I will submit an inquiry.

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

#189 ITguy1686

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:06 AM

Message sent. Appreciate the help in advance.

#190 Southpaw

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:23 AM

I'm in this boat and waiting for my new FOID card to come in before I apply for my CCL. Is this still an issue with the state or did they fix this?

#191 bimmerdude

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 03:10 PM

Back in August 2015 I was denied for the same reason. My status was appeal under review up until oct 4th when it finally went active!!! My appeal was approved and I got my license in the mail today!! To all the members on here I wanna say hang in there.... It's worth the wait

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users