People v. Brown - FOID ruled unconstituional in IL District Court

• Please log in to reply
307 replies to this topic

#301 DarkLord

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 10:51 PM

To be honest, I'm expecting IL SCOTUS to have the FOID stand while nixing the possession requirement.

that's a possibilty

#302 Gamma

• Members
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 05:36 PM

How long until we have a National FOID?

Would it work?

There should be no cost for internet verification of the buyer.

It should eliminate all waiting periods nationwide once the check is approved.

It should allow the holder to buy any gun in person anywhere in the US.

The other 49 states would be p*****...

It already exists, sort of. I mean the FBI has a file on everyone already and all the disqualifying info is supposed to be correlated. People don't have a card but all the backend info is there. Illinois has all the same, the machinations of the physical FOID cards are just a silly game. It's all tied to state DL/ID cards anyway, it would be trivial and save millions of dollars to do away with the FOID "system". At this point it's all a show to keep up appearances and maintain power by playing games with a physical card.

It's like fingerprinting, they make a big stink out of it, but already have facial recognition on everyone already so why bother? Just another game to distract people.

Edited by Gamma, 05 January 2020 - 05:39 PM.

Illinois' FCCA is a prime example of the maxim that sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.

#303 Jwolf

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 08:27 AM

Constitutional protected rights don't end at your doorway threshold, so if even if the wording of a final ruling is narrow it should be easy to expand upon.  And even in the interm a ruling that no FOID is needed to own/possses guns in your residence is a HUGE step forward in this state.

I agree it would be a HUGE step in the right direction that could also open doors to expand on. Either way, regardless of the outcome, I still think the People V. Brown will be a long drawn out process that won't be finalized anytime soon.  

#304 SiliconSorcerer

• Supporting Members Team
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 10:14 AM

How long until we have a National FOID?

Would it work?

There should be no cost for internet verification of the buyer.

It should eliminate all waiting periods nationwide once the check is approved.

It should allow the holder to buy any gun in person anywhere in the US.

The other 49 states would be p*****...

It already exists, sort of. I mean the FBI has a file on everyone already and all the disqualifying info is supposed to be correlated. People don't have a card but all the backend info is there. Illinois has all the same, the machinations of the physical FOID cards are just a silly game. It's all tied to state DL/ID cards anyway, it would be trivial and save millions of dollars to do away with the FOID "system". At this point it's all a show to keep up appearances and maintain power by playing games with a physical card.

It's like fingerprinting, they make a big stink out of it, but already have facial recognition on everyone already so why bother? Just another game to distract people.

I think the same for paying per mile for gas, got a phone?  High, low gas milage or no gas, everyone wears down roads... 

You give peace a chance; I'll cover you if it doesn't work out.

Remington Historical Foundation - 501©3 - donate to me ;) 

NRA Benefactor Member

Gun Owners of America

Remington Society of America Life Member

Ruger Collectors Association Life Member

Texas Gun Collector Honorary Member

Colt Collectors Association Honorary Member

Ruger Society Honorary Member

etc etc etc

#305 DaveIL

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 04:47 PM

https://courts.illin...Jan/01-20DB.pdf

if someone already posted this and I didn't see it I apologize.. Her case is listed on the "Advisement Docket"? I Don't know what that means but maybe I missed something?

#306 RANDY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 05:52 PM

Possibly argued but not decided as of the time of the case listing.

One persons paranoia is another persons situational awareness.

Maybe it is time to remove immunity from all public officials and be able to hold them fully accountable for their actions.

#307 tkroenlein

OFFICIAL MEMBER

• Members
  • 8,892 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 08:48 PM

What is the typical time frame for issuing a ruling?

#308 Silhouette

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 03:39 PM

Someone may have more updated statistics but:

" In 2013, unanimous decisions came down an average of 103.7 days after oral argument, while cases with dissenters took much longer – 185.8 days after argument."

per https://www.appellat...isement-docket/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users