NRA Pistol Course And HB148

Win30-30

Does the present NRA Pistol Course satisfy the requirements for either HB148 or HB5745 when it passes this year? I want to take this course this spring and was wondering if by taking it now this can be used later to fulfill the requirements necessary to get the carry license. Do it now before the classes fill up or will we require to take a different course. I at present hold a Utah license and want to be first in line when Illinois passes.

Does the present NRA Pistol Course satisfy the requirements for either HB148 or HB5745 when it passes this year? I want to take this course this spring and was wondering if by taking it now this can be used later to fulfill the requirements necessary to get the carry license. Do it now before the classes fill up or will we require to take a different course. I at present hold a Utah license and want to be first in line when Illinois passes.

IIRC, the ISP has 6 mos to produce a course along strict guidelines. If they do not, then I believe it defaults to an NRA course.

30-30, PM inbound.

Abolt

30-30, PM inbound.

Abolt

I am curious about this as well. Looking to take Utah course in next two weeks. Any additional info?

30-30, PM inbound.

Abolt

I am curious about this as well. Looking to take Utah course in next two weeks. Any additional info?

I'm not an instructor but I'm 99.9% sure the Utah course will NEVER fulfill the Illinois CCW training because the UTAH course contains no live fire training portion.

Had the same question. We are going to get the Utah class done after 4/1 when the price goes down, and wanted to get the CCW class and training out of the way before the bill is voted on.

Look at the effective date of the bill, then look at the training requirements. You'll see how many months there are before we will know what the training requirements are. Get all the training you want, but don't assume what you get will mee the requirements when our LTC is implemented.

Had the same question. We are going to get the Utah class done after 4/1 when the price goes down, and wanted to get the CCW class and training out of the way before the bill is voted on.

Look at the effective date of the bill, then look at the training requirements. You'll see how many months there are before we will know what the training requirements are. Get all the training you want, but don't assume what you get will mee the requirements when our LTC is implemented.

Take Federal Farmer's advice. The bill has not advanced to third reading, has not been debated, has not been voted on. The bill that is the furthest along is 148 which calls for a training course developed by the ISP, so the requirements of that training are not known.

Get all the training you want, but don't count on ANY of it to fulfill IL LTC requirements. If you get the training and it does happen to count towards the LTC, then you lucked out. But don't take any training just to be "ahead of the curve" based on what any bill says now. Bills change, sometimes dramatically from the time they're introduced to passage.

And no, at the present time, CFP training does not fulfill any training required by any bill currently proposed.

And now, let me once again re-emphasize the importance of not picking the bill apart for all to see until it is debated on the floor and the details are made public. It's not that we think the other side can't read, but rather we don't want to do their work for them by dissecting the bill and pinpointing any strengths and weaknesses for them. Make them do their own research.

Now, there's going to be some posts dissappear just for that reason. Thanks for understanding. PM me with any questions you might have about the bill. I don't know it inside out, but I know folks who do. I'll get your answers to you, not the Brady bunch or the ICHV.

Abolt

The requirements of the CFP course aren't the same, but that doesn't mean that a particular course might not meet CFP but go beyond and meet other requirements. I think some folks are doing 'CFP' training that is over and beyond what is needed for the CFP. Given how lame the requirements are, I think that is a good idea.

Archived