New Jersey man seeks pardon after legally owned gun makes him convicted felon

C0untZer0

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/03/18/new-jersey-man-hopes-for-pardon-after-legally-owned-gun-makes-him-convict/?intcmp=latestnews

I don't know if this story has been posted before, I did some searching on the forum and didn't find this story.
My main thought is that what happened to this security guard wasn't an accident, the unintentional result of byzantine New Jersey gun laws.
The complex and often contradictory gun laws in places like New Jersey and other anti-Second Amendment bastions, are intentionally setup to snag law-abiding gun owners to create a chilling effect that lowers gun ownership.
And this is exactly the kind of thing that people like Dan Kotowski, Kelly Burke, Antonio Muñoz, Christian Mitchell, Scott Drury and many other anti-gun politicians in the ILGA would like to see happen in Illinois.
Any individual bill may seem innocuous to the general public, but when put together they make a maze of gun laws that is impossible for the law-abiding gun owner to navigate.

I don't agree with the laws in New Jersey, but there is nothing secret about them. This guy works as an armed security guard, lives and works in the state. It is his obligation to know and understand the laws, and to not "forget" that he put a loaded pistol in the glove compartment.

It's too bad that the guy has had to go through all of this because the stupid, freedom-hating laws in that state, but if he hadn't been lax about handling and storage of his pistol, and had been mindful of those fascist laws, he wouldn't be in this mess today.

Gun laws in NJ are definitely way out in left field. They are 180 degrees out of sync with the intent of "shall not be infringed."

But at a minimum, this kid seems to be a bit scatter-brained. That's not a crime, but if you're going to have a firearm in an anti-2A state like NJ, you'd better learn to pay attention to details. His car registration was expired, which prompted the stop. He "forgot" about the handgun, and "got distracted" when he intended to go to the range. (In NJ you can't drive around with a firearm unless headed to the range, hunting, or home.). He wasn't authorized to carry a firearm yet (even though he was an armored car driver) since his license was pending. And his petition states that:

Immediately I realized my mistake; in NJ a loaded weapon must be carried in a locked trunk.

That, also, would have been a violation of NJ law.

His description of events is here (his petition):

https://www.change.org/p/chris-christie-grant-me-a-pardon-a-mistake-shouldn-t-ruin-my-future

He is a defendant that people can sympathize with but one can't help but wish his case was a little stronger.

How much stronger does it need to be?

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

They misinterpret the word "free state" to mean "freedom of the government" (state=government) versus the freedom of the individual ("free state" = the state of having freedom)

I was thinking when I posted that, that his case is strong, however NJ law is tough to overcome. The conflicting stories, and as kwc posted earlier, the dumb mistakes just make me think "Hey, you are in NJ, don't screw up your life over the simple stuff."

Mary Shepherd's case forced a decision I didn't think I would see in my life in Illinois; however, the irony is that after the state lost the case, it still wanted to restrict carrying a firearm in churches, and she had about as strong a case as you could get.

It's sad that so many beautiful states fall into the "anti personal rights" column. Having lived in California, Hawaii, and Maryland, and spending considerable time traveling in the southern part of New Jersey, all have a lot to offer.

If only these states would "wake up" and realize the Constitution is far more than just a few pieces of paper...

But the worst of all IMO is New York. Dear lord how I pity those outside of NY and the capital. They have such a gorgeous state and long, fascinating history (relatively, for the US). If Lake Champlain and the Adirondacks were located in any half way decent state, they'd be my favorite spot in the country, hands down.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Not to mention, his determination at getting the stupidness overturned, LE agencies all around the country are offering to hire him. How much you want to bet that he's going to be a very understanding and pro-citizen carry law enforcement officer?

Archived