IT (Rep. Kathleen Willis D-77) Speaks. (finally an email response)

markthesignguy

On Nov 3, 2017, at 4:42 PM, mark (the sign guy) wrote:

Dear Representative Kathleen Willis:

As a law-abiding Illinois gun owner and your constituent, I respectfully urge you to oppose Senate Bill 1657.

Senate Bill 1657 would create onerous mandatory regulations, fees and costs potentially in the thousands of dollars and excessive amounts of red tape that would almost assuredly force the closure of many firearm dealers, and prevent prospective owners from opening new ones. The federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) already licenses and closely monitors all federally licensed firearm dealers (FFLs) and strictly enforces any violation of federal law.

Again, I urge you to oppose Senate Bill 1657!

Sincerely,

mark the sign guy

home address redacted by me

Kathleen Willis

State Representative 77th District

112 N. Wolf Road Northlake, IL 60164

Phone: (708) 562-6970 Fax: (708) 562-6974 Email: repwillis77@gmail.com

Facebook & Twitter: repwillis77 Website: www.repwillis77.com

Your message arguing against common-sense gun regulation came just days before 26 people were slaughtered at a church by gun violence. In any other country on earth, this would be a national tragedy, because most countries on earth regulate firearms in a sensible way. In America, it's just another day in the life, where anyone and everyone has to fear being massacred by gun violence in any public space they enter.

You base this message on the idea that "Criminals and Terrorists do not purchase their firearms legally from gun stores." This sentence is absolutely false. Just one month ago, the worst mass shooting in our history was perpetrated by a man wielding legally purchased firearms. It comes one year after the previous worst mass shooting in American history, once again perpetrated by a man with legally purchased weapons.

The City of Chicago just released its "gun trace report". More than half of the guns recovered at crime scenes over the past 4 years have been purchased legally. More than 20% were purchased in Indiana, a state with extremely lax gun laws.

Just a few months ago, Congressman Steve Scalise and several others were shot on a baseball field with legally purchased weapons: http://abcnews.go.com/US/guns-mass-shootings-obtained-legally-including-congressional-baseball/story?id=48055331

In 2016, 3 police officers were killed in Baton Rouge with a legally purchased weapon: http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article159145529.html

In 2016, 5 police officers were killed walking in a parade in Dallas with a legally purchased weapon: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/07/12/dallas-police-killer-reportedly-bought-weapons-legally.html

In 2016, 6 people were killed in a Kalamazoo parking lot by a shooter with a legally purchased weapon: http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/23/us/kalamazoo-michigan-shootings/index.html

In 2016, 9 people were killed in a church in South Carolina with a legally purchased weapon: http://www.newsweek.com/dylann-roof-purchased-handgun-used-charleston-shooting-legally-345994

In 2015, 14 people were killed by a shooter at the Inland Regional Center in California with legally purchased weapons: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/san-bernardino-shooting-atf-says-all-4-guns-bought-legally/

In 2014, 5 people were killed a Washington high school by a shooter with a legally purchased weapon: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/10/28/marysville-high-school-shooting-jaylen-fryberg-lured-victims-via-text-message.html

In 2013, 6 people were killed in an apartment complex with a legally purchased weapon: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2015/12/10/marco-rubios-claim-that-no-recent-mass-shootings-would-have-been-prevented-by-gun-laws/?utm_term=.0cdc2a0323d0

There's many, many more examples. In 2016 alone, guns killed over 38,000 people. No one gun law will prevent every shooting, but we know there are proven solutions that are effective at reducing gun violence. We can, and must, implement policies that will make our communities safer.

If all you are willing to do about this epidemic is offer "thoughts and prayers" for the victims, I hope you're prepared to keep offering thoughts and prayers for the new victims we'll continue to see every few months. I would rather try to save their lives by making it more difficult for these weapons of war to be legally purchased and used to massacre civilians. Most of these killings are by legally purchased weapons, and we know beyond a shadow of a doubt that there are policy solutions to help stem this tide. I'm going to pursue them.

Sincerely,

post-1247-0-82089700-1510777957_thumb.png

my reflection on this:

I reject your (CLASSIC!!!) strawman argument.

You base this message on the idea that "Criminals and Terrorists do not purchase their firearms legally from gun stores." This sentence is absolutely false.

And I did NOT say it!!

and exactly HOW will SB1657 prevent these murders, other than the obvious objective of driving all gun stores out of business in Illinois?

Throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

You PROVE my point.

And further, many if not all the firearms lawfully purchased and UNLAWFULLY used in the MURDERS you cite, did NOT come from Illinois Dealers.

The exact same reply was sent by multiple anti-gun Democrats.

Willis isn’t smart enough to write it herself.

This is key.

It would be interesting to know which politicians are replying with the same boiler plate response.

And then call them out on it.

Precisely.

This is key.

It would be interesting to know which politicians are replying with the same boiler plate response.

Who else got the same response for their representatives?

Willis fails to explain how SB1657 would reduce legal sales of firearms, other than driving many dealers out of business. Are guns sold by big-box stores like Cabelas are less lethal in the wrong hands.

That aside, according to the same trace report, nearly 95% of confiscated guns were not from the original purchaser. By other statistics, the average time between legal purchase and seizure is 14 years. In several of her examples, guns were legally purchased due to failure of the background check process. Why is it okay to punish the innocent - the vast majority of gun owners (and dealers)?

I think of a scene from a war movie, to the gunner in a helicopter, "Why are you shooting those men?" "They're running, which makes them Viet Long." "But you also shot at men standing." They're highly disciplined Viet Cong."

This is key.

Who else got the same response for their representatives?

Sigma did - from Willis again. http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?s=8524c90c2339a50f2a0229ed62aa34e8&showtopic=67155

Why would it not be legal? AR-15 pistols are everywhere and the "re-manufacturing by shouldering an arm brace" stuff has been put to rest. Isn't this pretty much the definition of selling her office as she receives donations from those outside groups?

That said, a 7.5" barrel is pretty short for 5.56. I built a similar upper "for fun" and it's noticeably anemic and LOUD.

Never chrono'ed it but @ 100yds on a steel silhouette:

16" = Bang ... PANK!

7.5" = BOOM! ..... tink.

My 11.5" has become my favorite AR though.

That's an interesting take. An elected representative (remember that word?), telling a constituent that I'm not representing your interests, I'm actively opposing your right to self defense. Sounds about right.

I think it is even more disturbing than that. You essentially have a representative that has sold their position as a representative and is allowing an outside organization (as in, outside the state) instead of doing what she is elected to, which is represent get constituency.

Why would it not be legal? AR-15 pistols are everywhere and the "re-manufacturing by shouldering an arm brace" stuff has been put to rest. Isn't this pretty much the definition of selling her office as she receives donations from those outside groups?

That said, a 7.5" barrel is pretty short for 5.56. I built a similar upper "for fun" and it's noticeably anemic and LOUD.

Never chrono'ed it but @ 100yds on a steel silhouette:

16" = Bang ... PANK!

7.5" = BOOM! ..... tink.

My 11.5" has become my favorite AR though.

That's an interesting take. An elected representative (remember that word?), telling a constituent that I'm not representing your interests, I'm actively opposing your right to self defense. Sounds about right.

I think it is even more disturbing than that. You essentially have a representative that has sold their position as a representative and is allowing an outside organization (as in, outside the state) instead of doing what she is elected to, which is represent get constituency.

Yep, only one thing to do. Vote her out.

Archived