ISRA Alert for Marengo City Council Meeting

GSDlady

Hoping to be able to get over there.

ISRA ALERT: MARENGO RESIDENTS AND NEIGHBORS: MEET THE ANTI-GUNNERS AT THE MARENGO CITY COUNCIL MEETING - MONDAY APRIL 23
The City of Marengo will take a vote Monday April 23 to decide on a special use permit for a shooting range combined with retail firearm sales. There was some strong anti-gun sentiment expressed at last week's zoning hearing, with some people finding the presence of firearms sales and a shooting range particularly distressing because Marengo also has a church and a preschool.

Gun owners and especially those that live in or near Marengo are encouraged to come to the city council meeting, meet their anti-gun neighbors and offer their own voices during the public comment period.

WHAT YOU NEED TO DO TO PROTECT YOUR FREEDOM

1. Attend the Marengo City Council Meeting at City Hall, 132 E. Prairie St, Marengo on Monday, April 23. The meeting starts at 7:00 pm, be there early to guarantee a seat and to ensure you have a chance to be heard.
2. Be prepared to vigorously defend your 2nd Amendment Rights. Refuse to be turned away.
3. If members of the press are there, seek them out, engage them, tell them that you are a law-abiding gun owner and that opportunities to safely exercise your 2nd Amendment right are essential to preserving that right.
4. Pass this alert along to all your friends and family, tell them to be at the Marengo City Council Meeting
5. Post this alert to any and all Internet blogs, forums, or social media sites to which you belong.

REMEMBER – GUN CONTROL IS A DISEASE AND YOU ARE THE CURE

Ill be going. Im going to stay away from the political aspect (2nd amendment) and concentrate on

A. allowing legal firearm owners to practice their skills in a safe and regulated environment increases public safety, especially with the number of CCL holders in the area and surrounding counties

B. people from all over will then be visiting Marengo, increasing revenue for local businesses, especially gas stations and restaurants.

There is absolutely NO negative to this, other than my feelings

Ill be going. Im going to stay away from the political aspect (2nd amendment) and concentrate on

A. allowing legal firearm owners to practice their skills in a safe and regulated environment increases public safety, especially with the number of CCL holders in the area and surrounding counties

B. people from all over will then be visiting Marengo, increasing revenue for local businesses, especially gas stations and restaurants.

And downtown Marengo could use some influx of income (my brother lives right downtown)

And downtown Marengo could use some influx of income (my brother lives right downtown)
Exactly. They only reason for someone to be against this on the board would be due to a personal feeling of negativity towards firearms. Gotta hammer it into them that this would be beneficial to Marengo itself. This specific battle isnt about our rights per say, but more about allowing a legal business to open up that will in turn draw more people to the town to spend money

Located 25 minutes east of Marengo is On Target in Crystal Lake.

A range and firearms retail store.

It's a straight shot down 176.

A really nice facility, modern and a very good neighbor.

Encourage them to visit, perhaps it would demonstrate that these facilities are nothing to fear and actually are a positive for the community.

Encourage them to visit, perhaps it would demonstrate that these facilities are nothing to fear and actually are a positive for the community.

One of my regular 'haunts'. It is a nice place, with a great staff.

Exactly. They only reason for someone to be against this on the board would be due to a personal feeling of negativity towards firearms. Gotta hammer it into them that this would be beneficial to Marengo itself. This specific battle isnt about our rights per say, but more about allowing a legal business to open up that will in turn draw more people to the town to spend money

I think the more safety argument is a good one as well. having a place for people to shoot safely, to train to be safer etc, is also a big bonus. And the idiot that spoke to them mentioning th church and pre-school need to explain why that matters in any way.

Is there more to this story? There's already two stores in the city limits...is the special use permit because they are trying to get a zoning exception, or some other type of exception that makes them different from the other places? Are noise or pollution the concerns? Are they trying to build on a wetland or in the endangered unicorn ecosystem?

I ask all this so people can prepare and make intelligent and relevant remarks in the meeting when the public is allowed to be heard. Complaining about 2nd infringement when the real issue is one of a traffic light, condemned land, or some other special use makes us look pretty shallow and one dimensional. Not a lot to work with in the way of facts in the alert.

One of my regular 'haunts'. It is a nice place, with a great staff.

Yeah, I go there almost every week lol

Is there more to this story? There's already two stores in the city limits...is the special use permit because they are trying to get a zoning exception, or some other type of exception that makes them different from the other places? Are noise or pollution the concerns? Are they trying to build on a wetland or in the endangered unicorn ecosystem?

I ask all this so people can prepare and make intelligent and relevant remarks in the meeting when the public is allowed to be heard. Complaining about 2nd infringement when the real issue is one of a traffic light, condemned land, or some other special use makes us look pretty shallow and one dimensional. Not a lot to work with in the way of facts in the alert.

Agree 100%. Don’t push the second amendment side of this battle. I’m going solely to explain the benefits to the community, both financially and safety

Is this a planned expansion/reloction of Marengo Guns? I heard one of the staff talking about "headaches with the new place" when I was out there last week. No idea if this is related.

The Marengo city council meeting agenda http://www.cityofmarengo.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/4.23.18-Packet.pdf

Shows the address but not much else.

Is this a planned expansion/reloction of Marengo Guns? I heard one of the staff talking about "headaches with the new place" when I was out there last week. No idea if this is related.

The Marengo city council meeting agenda http://www.cityofmarengo.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/4.23.18-Packet.pdf

Shows the address but not much else.

I think it is a 3rd entity. They reference both Marengo and Dales getting zoning. The petitioner, L.B. Marengo LLC also stated he would open as a LGS if the range was shot down. Interesting, one of the requirements that came out of the Zoning Committee discussions with the public was a mandatory breathaiyzer, with a zero tolerance allowance installed. These anti gun folks really do not know a damn thing do they?

I believe it is more a gun range problem than a gun store problem.

Northwest Herald article: http://www.nwherald.com/2018/03/27/union-based-developer-proposes-gun-range-in-marengo/afzk9n9/

Hmm that says it is DS Ranges, and they want to make it their 'model' facility. They apparently design and build ranges for people all over US.

LOL, it is right across the street from City Hall.

If anyone can go tonight, please go. We gotta outnumber the antis. Would be awesome to have another range in the area to “help promote safe firearm use and allow CCL holders to hone in on their skills”.

I’m working on a little speech that points out just why having a range built will be beneficial for many reasons and I’m leaving all emotion and opinions (for the most part) out of it

As a talking point, gun ranges are family friendly entertainment venues that double as educational facilities. Parents teach their kids patience, respect, obedience, and success through perseverence at gun ranges. I have a HOA meeting to attend tonight, but I'm with you in spirit!

Archived