3hr Renewal Discrepancy?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 InterestedBystander

• Supporting Members Team
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:15 PM

Just repeating the info given to me by ISP:

And then we submit the request and wait up to 90/120 days...realistically more like 50 to 110 based on reports. And do we know if LE will have a 30 day objection period again?

Edited by InterestedBystander, 10 July 2018 - 09:40 PM.

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
FFL-IL Supporter
🇺🇸 "Remember in November" 🗳️

#32 Molly B.

IllinoisCarry spokesperson

• 15,223 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:02 PM

Just repeating the info given to me by ISP:

And then we submit the request and wait up to 90/120 days...realisticly more like 50 to 110 based on reports. And do we know if LE will have a 30 day objection period again?

This we do not know yet.  I am going to assume they do and it should be based only on incidents in the past 5 years.  Who knows what Cook Co. will do . . .

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

#33 xrlke

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:54 AM

WAND TV Springfield ran a concealed carry renewal segment on this morning`s broadcast.  Per the report the ISP says it will take up to 4 months to process a renewal application and recommends CCL holders apply for renewal 5 months before their expiration date.   Instructors are still faced with no clear guidelines on the renewal process and a flawed renewal certificate.  We have no idea when the first applications will be accepted by the ISP or something in writing from the ISP about what we should teach to satisfy the renewal requirements.  Do we follow the law or JCAR or the Certificate requirements?  Time for a trip to meet with your state rep and try and put some pressure on the ISP to get this straightened out. Starting with the renewal certificate.

Why apply 5 months early?

The law clearly states that as long as you have applied before your expiration date your license is still good while you are waiting on the renewal. They can take 3 years and you can still carry on your old license that is expired.

True, but those of us that only have one ccw permit (IL), now only have a permit for one state. All other states that recognize IL are going to see an expired permit that makes you illegal to carry, I assume.

#34 bmyers

• Members
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:49 PM

WAND TV Springfield ran a concealed carry renewal segment on this morning`s broadcast.  Per the report the ISP says it will take up to 4 months to process a renewal application and recommends CCL holders apply for renewal 5 months before their expiration date.   Instructors are still faced with no clear guidelines on the renewal process and a flawed renewal certificate.  We have no idea when the first applications will be accepted by the ISP or something in writing from the ISP about what we should teach to satisfy the renewal requirements.  Do we follow the law or JCAR or the Certificate requirements?  Time for a trip to meet with your state rep and try and put some pressure on the ISP to get this straightened out. Starting with the renewal certificate.

The law clearly states that as long as you have applied before your expiration date your license is still good while you are waiting on the renewal. They can take 3 years and you can still carry on your old license that is expired.

True, but those of us that only have one ccw permit (IL), now only have a permit for one state. All other states that recognize IL are going to see an expired permit that makes you illegal to carry, I assume.

Why? According to Illinois law it is still a valid permit as long as you have applied for renewal.

#35 InterestedBystander

• 4,833 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:02 PM

[quote name="bmyers" post="1163456" timestamp="1531334947"][quote name="xrlke" post="1163437" timestamp="1531331669"]
[quote name="bmyers" post="1163247" timestamp="1531246680"]
[quote name="NRApistol" post="1163190" timestamp="1531230689"]
[/quote]

The law clearly states that as long as you have applied before your expiration date your license is still good while you are waiting on the renewal. They can take 3 years and you can still carry on your old license that is expired.[/quote]

[/quote]

Why? According to Illinois law it is still a valid permit as long as you have applied for renewal.[/quote]

Well, the physical card is going to show an expired date, but you could always carry a copy of the renewal law and a screen cap of your online renewal submission.

I might assume most states rely on Nlets though and it would depend on what Illinois is reporting to them when your license gets run from out of state.

Edited by InterestedBystander, 11 July 2018 - 01:06 PM.

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
FFL-IL Supporter
🇺🇸 "Remember in November" 🗳️

#36 bmyers

• Members
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:18 PM

Why? According to Illinois law it is still a valid permit as long as you have applied for renewal.

Well, the physical card is going to show an expired date, but you could always carry a copy of the renewal law and a screen cap of your online renewal submission.

I might assume most states rely on Nlets though and it would depend on what Illinois is reporting to them when your license gets run from out of state.

Which if Illinois was not reporting you as a valid license, you would have a nice lawsuit.

#37 xrlke

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:20 AM

Ya, probably any interaction with the police out of state and they are going to check the validity of the ccw. Just seems to me that carrying out of state on an "expired" permit would just take more time and hassle to clear up.

#38 John Q Public

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:42 AM

Thanks  Ms. B, there was no way to do it in that time frame and comply with JCAR and the ISP cert. That's why I brought it here in the hopes we/you could get some calcification. 

Molly,  thanks, this is good news.  Will there be changes to the renewal certificate to reflect this? 

Working on this.

Edited by John Q Public, 12 July 2018 - 11:42 AM.

#39 cola490

• 1,045 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:51 PM

Ya, probably any interaction with the police out of state and they are going to check the validity of the ccw. Just seems to me that carrying out of state on an "expired" permit would just take more time and hassle to clear up.

While they are “clearing” it up, will you be sitting in a holding cell?
NRA LIFE MEMBER

#40 papa

• Members
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:21 PM

While they are “clearing” it up, will you be sitting in a holding cell?

I wouldn't be because I have my Utah license to fall back on.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users