Made my last ammo buy in Cook County

BobS

Sorry if this has been discussed but it's a first for me.

I took part in a buy 7 get 6 sale today. I was given a $100 gift card for Cabela's and usually buy ammo there. 5 cents per cartridge cost me the price of a another box of target rounds. Not the store's fault, I'm sure they thought putting a big store in the county was a good idea once.

The cashier told me about the new tax but I was already aware. Might as well just buy ammunition at the range and not lug it around.

Oh well, I'll do even more of my shopping out of town.

I agree which is why I buy all my ammo online. If you think the ranges close to Cook County haven't thunk about that one you are wrong. They all adjusted according I would bet.

For sure I know that at GAT Guns for example the prices have all gone up a couple bucks per box vs this time last year.

At Article 2 I wouldn't even buy range ammo there because they way overcharge. They once charged me like $9.50-$10 for a $5 box of Wolf x39. Last time I made that mistake.

Even with shipping I find buying online is the same if not mostly always cheaper. Same with targets. You would be shocked how many people go pay $1 for three pieces of paper when for $20 you can buy hundreds of them online. The markups on stuff like are insane.

The insane mark ups desired by local ranges are on the primary reasons why I stopped going there. Yes, I am willing to subsidise local business (and likely good guys) but do you really think I am that stupid not to know the pricing difference on commodities?! that is somewhat insulting (and sad).

A friend mentioned yesterday that Maxon's is indeed charging the $2.50 a box tithing on 9mm. He paid it since he was out for a range session, but will now buy in bulk from a buddy who is an FFL out of the county.

I imagine the gun shops and big box sports stores I most often frequent west of County Line Road, like Bass Pro, Megasports and The Range at 355 will be seeing a substantial uptick in ammo sales. I reload all my center-fire ammo but can't imagine buying any rim-fire in Cook. I was just at all three of the stores I mentioned within the last three days and they all had excellent inventories of .22LR. It was great to see the shelves well stocked again.

I was at cabela's today...

While I wasnt there to buy ammo, I did pick up a few standard cap mags. :)

Chatting with the sales guys it was mentioned that they are not even ordering new ammo because they are uber stocked and nobody is buying.

It was sad looking at the stuffed shelves and knowing I wouldn't buy anything.

I was at Cabela's on Saturday, they had a 15% off original sale price on ammo. Since I just bought the wife her 22 they had Federal match grade 22LR, the 325 rounds for 18.99 SO I asked if the 15% off applies to that and they said no since it is on sale. So now tack on .02 x 325 is $6.50 plus the 18.99 plus the 10% sales tax and I was like oh heck no. So I put them back and told the gusy you all need to move 1 mile away out of Crook county.
They said they know... I then went and bought it at GAT. I did score some more IMR700x powder however at a decent price but I think Cabelas will definitly start hurting if they are not already.

• 3 weeks later...

Cop friend of mine was advised today that Cabela's in Hoffman Estates is planning on closing its doors and moving three exits further west. Their ammunition sales have been destroyed and the gun tax isn't helping firearms sales either.

Not confirmed yet but he's not been wrong yet on some of the rumors he's told.

Cop friend of mine was advised today that Cabela's in Hoffman Estates is planning on closing its doors and moving three exits further west. Their ammunition sales have been destroyed and the gun tax isn't helping firearms sales either.

I'm glad to hear that. It does suck for them to have to rebuild another store because I can't even imagine how much they poured into that location, but the beauty is that they're giving Crook the finger by moving.

That would be awesome if true. I used to love going to Cabela's before Cook County added their gun tax and then ammo tax.

Although the rumor is probably wishful thinking instead of actual fact... IMO if Cabela's closed in Crook County, they will just give up on the whole area, and you'll have to drive to Hammond.

• 3 weeks later...

I've actually found some good deals because of this. For rounds that are expensive to begin with, the discounts they are offering can be higher than what the tax is adding on. I picked up some reloadable brass PPU 7.62x54R lower than I've ever seen it on a recent trip there.

It's a shame though, I used to get so much ammo from them because they usually beat GAT for what I needed. At least they have powder and sometimes primers.

• 3 weeks later...
A little off-topic but I didn't want to start a new thread. I was in Cabelas last week and noticed something I may have walked by many times before. This time I looked up and saw the sign. "Knife Sharpening Center". I never noticed it before, or maybe it's new to the store, but at least I noticed it this time so maybe my situational awareness is getting better. They have a few electric sharpeners plugged in and a few stones for the final touch. I put a nice edge on my pocket knife while I was there.

Archived