Chicago registration time and cost reports

Beezil

IANAL but as I read the ordinance, after the 90 'grace period' during which you can register ALL the guns you own at once, you then are restricted to the one gun per month scenario and need to complete section "D" of the registration showing who the gun was acquired from, when it was possessed by you in the City and if it was a purchase, gift or inherited.

At least I 'think' this is correct info?

There is an obvious incentive to registering all your owned firearms prior to October 12th, if memory serves on the specific date that is 90 days from when the ordinance was signed?

Mr. Fife, here is a direct quote from one of the official PDFs:

https://portal.chica...s%20Release.pdf

After obtaining a Chicago Firearms Permit, residents can purchase a firearm. Residents must then register their firearm within 5 days with the Chicago Police Department.

That tells me that if I just bought a new gun and if I live in Chicago, I must register it within 5 days. In your inquiry, however, what if a Chicago resident already owns guns and never brought them into the city, but now wants to keep them in the city after going through the lawful process?

Here's another direct quote:

Individuals who owned firearms prior to today, including firearms that were not registered and multiple handguns, must apply for a CFP within 90 days.

Here is a possible problem. I could not find any official documentation that covers your specific inquiry. There are many people who live in Chicago and keep guns outside of the city. If any of you reading this knows where this is covered in writing, please post it here. Another thing, the Chicago Police could reject any application or any registration for any reason. When the city states that you have five days to register a newly-bought gun, that makes me caution to think they could reject you if you had the gun more than five days, five weeks, five months, or five years... even if you never brought the gun inside the city. Just how a gun owner can't easily prove this, they also can't easily prove otherwise, so they may simply reject someone "just to be on the safe side." Yeah right.

Remember, this is extreme anti-Constitution Chicago we're talking about. My advice would be to call the Chicago Gun Registration desk and ask them yourself. No need to give them any personal information whatsoever, just ask a direct question. It would also seem to be more economical to hold off acquiring the Chicago Firearm Permit until one is truly ready to bring any gun inside the city rather than get the permit now then bring guns in later. The reason is because the permit costs a hundred dollars every three years. Why get the permit now which expires three years from today, then six months or a year later bring a gun into the city? Besides, the permit only applies if and when you wish to keep a gun inside the city. They can't require you to get a permit simply for being a gun owner who happens to live in Chicago.

Why get the permit now which expires three years from today, then six months or a year later bring a gun into the city? Besides, the permit only applies if and when you wish to keep a gun inside the city. They can't require you to get a permit simply for being a gun owner who happens to live in Chicago.

Many reasons, I guess. Perhaps they are presently located in Alaska for example. It's a hypothetical question. Yes, the permit would only apply if I brought guns into the city, but if I don't get the CFP in 90 days, I'm thinking they would never be registerable after that.

Individuals who owned firearms prior to today, including firearms that were not registered and multiple handguns, must apply for a CFP within 90 days.

If I choose to have guns remain outside of Chicago, and not apply for a CFP in 90 days, it would appear I would be still in violation based on the above quote.

I guess what I was hoping for was a loophole that would allow me to get a CFP to be legal, and not register my "grandfathered" guns whether they were outside the city, or someday brought in. Perhaps I should read over the ordinance a little more. thinking.gif

If I choose to have guns remain outside of Chicago, and not apply for a CFP in 90 days, it would appear I would be still in violation based on the above quote.

No, that statement is misleading. I don't think you would be in violation just for simply being a gun owner who happens to be a Chicago resident. What if you have been physically living outside Chicago for a long time but have not changed your address on record? Gun ownership and gun possession are not exactly the same thing. Daley does not want any guns, lawful or criminal, inside the city. The new gun ordinance was an effort to keep as many guns as possible outside the city. They can't do anything about guns that are physically outside the city limits. The moment you wish to bring a gun legally inside the city is the moment you must acquire a CFP and then register the gun (or at least try to).

There are already many Chicago residents who bought a gun legally and faithfully kept it outside the city for whatever reason. Why would they be in violation if they choose not to acquire the CFP and they faithfully never bring their gun inside the city at the same time? If simply being a gun owner (no possession) and a Chicago resident was a violation, then many people would have to get rid of all their guns by October 12th regardless of where in the world they are actually kept. We all know that criminals would gladly cooperate, right?

However, if you registered any gun previously with the Chicago Police no matter how long ago, then you would be stuck. Where it says, "including firearms that were not registered and multiple handguns," they must mean those who want to keep possession legally within the city and have never registered them before. In other words, a law-abiding citizen who kept a handgun outside the city for many years and never registered, but now wants to keep a handgun inside the city so it must now be registered.

By my reading of the ordinance, you must register all 'grandfathered' guns by Oct 12th. Any unregistered at that point will not be registerable because you must register them within 5 days of taking possession.

Under the old regime, you had 0 days to register, by law. But in practice the police at the gun desk gave you 30 days. They also told me for guns possessed elsewhere that I just attach a note indicating I'd owned the gun and kept it outside the city.

It may be that they give you a break, but if they don't, you'd have no recourse as the 'hearing' they provide goes strictly by the letter of the law.

There is a way out, however. You can transfer the guns to someone you trust and then when you are ready to register them, have him/her transfer it back to you and then you have 5 days.

By my reading of the ordinance, you must register all 'grandfathered' guns by Oct 12th. Any unregistered at that point will not be registerable because you must register them within 5 days of taking possession.

Under the old regime, you had 0 days to register, by law. But in practice the police at the gun desk gave you 30 days. They also told me for guns possessed elsewhere that I just attach a note indicating I'd owned the gun and kept it outside the city.

It may be that they give you a break, but if they don't, you'd have no recourse as the 'hearing' they provide goes strictly by the letter of the law.

There is a way out, however. You can transfer the guns to someone you trust and then when you are ready to register them, have him/her transfer it back to you and then you have 5 days.

Then re-acquire them. Transer ownership with a lawful willing partner, then transfer back with a new bill of sale. How about that?

Then re-acquire them. Transer ownership with a lawful willing partner, then transfer back with a new bill of sale. How about that?

That is what I suggest at the end.

After obtaining a Chicago Firearms Permit, residents can purchase a firearm. Residents must then register their firearm within 5 days with the Chicago Police Department.

When I spoke to the Gun desk about a month ago, they told me I had to register guns purchased in the City of Chicago within 5 days. However, you can't purchase guns in the city, not yet anyway. So, there is no time frame to register guns if purchased outside the city limits and kept outside the city limits.

If you read over the Firearm Registration Form, it does not ask for a purchase date. It only asks for the date it was brought into the city: "GUN WAS POSSESSED IN THE CITY BY ME ON -DATE." Although I could have sworn that when they first posted the registration form, it had "PURCHASED DATE" instead of the "POSSESSED IN THE CITY."

Nick

When I spoke to the Gun desk about a month ago, they told me I had to register guns purchased in the City of Chicago within 5 days. However, you can't purchase guns in the city, not yet anyway. So, there is no time frame to register guns if purchased outside the city limits and kept outside the city limits.

If you read over the Firearm Registration Form, it does not ask for a purchase date. It only asks for the date it was brought into the city: "GUN WAS POSSESSED IN THE CITY BY ME ON -DATE." Although I could have sworn that when they first posted the registration form, it had "PURCHASED DATE" instead of the "POSSESSED IN THE CITY."

Nick

I believe you are technically correct, though I am no lawyer.

Nick

Nick, the field directly above "GUN WAS POSSESSED IN THE CITY BY ME ON -DATE" is labeled, "GUN WAS ACQUIRED FROM - NAME (LAST-FIRST-M.I.)- DATE." So the form is asking you for the purchased/acquired date.

https://portal.chicagopolice.org/portal/page/portal/ClearPath/About%20CPD/Firearm%20Registration/CPD-31.562.pdf

Nick

Nick, the field directly above "GUN WAS POSSESSED IN THE CITY BY ME ON -DATE" is labeled, "GUN WAS ACQUIRED FROM - NAME (LAST-FIRST-M.I.)- DATE." So the form is asking you for the purchased/acquired date.

https://portal.chicagopolice.org/portal/page/portal/ClearPath/About%20CPD/Firearm%20Registration/CPD-31.562.pdf

True, but he is correct that the rules and regulations don't seem to stipulate a 5 day period from purchase, just from possession within city limits.

Dude, that is brilliant! lol

Thank you.

It was a novel idea, I'm sure, to temporarily transfer a gun to a trusted friend as a way to play it safe with insane Chicago and Cook laws. ... :rolleyes:

https://portal.chica.../CPD-31.562.pdf

Actually, that section (SECTION D) reads

COMPLETE THIS SECTION WHEN REGISTERING A NEWLY ACQUIRED FIREARM OR TRANSFERRING A REGISTERED FIREARM

I'm not sure what they mean by newly acquired, but I would guess they mean 5 days or less. Neither of those situations would apply to me.

So I may be covered with just having the CFP by 90 days, but registering the firearms when I decide to bring them home.

Reading further, there is no mention of the grace period in the Ordinance, unless I completely missed it. There is mention of the grace period in the Rules and Regulations, but it only specifies that the CFP is obtained in the 90 days. The same goes for the news release, it only mentionsd getting the CFP in 90 days. Anyway, I'm taking the class, and then deciding what to do. It would be nice if there were some lawyers in here, I do not look forward to registering and then doing the yearly thing every year. Missing the yearly registration will make the gun unregisterable.

There is no mention of having to register the gun within 5 days after purchase in the handgun ordinance: https://portal.chicagopolice.org/portal/page/portal/ClearPath/About%20CPD/Firearm%20Registration/handgun-registration-20B-with-offender-registry.pdf

The only mention of the 5 day period is when it is brought within city limits, according to 8-20-140 (see below). The ordinance does not have any criteria that states registration is required within 5 days after purchase. The only documentation that states this, that I have seen on the CPD website, is in the "News Release."

8-20-140 Firearm registration certificate-required

(1) Subject to subsection (d)(2), an application for a registration certificate shall be submitted no later than 5 business days after a person takes possession within the city of a firearm from any source; provided that any applicant who has submitted a complete application within the required 5 business days shall be considered in compliance with this subsection until his registration certificate is either approved or denied.

Nick

You don't need to be a lawyer to see that the ordinance is simply a poorly written piece of legislation. Don't beat yourself up over this. There are major inconsistencies here. Do your best to stay within the parameters, and document everything where possible.

When passed, Ed Burke and several other aldermen acknowledged that the ordinance was flawed, and would have to be amended "later".

You don't need to be a lawyer to see that the ordinance is simply a poorly written piece of legislation. Don't beat yourself up over this. There are major inconsistencies here. Do your best to stay within the parameters, and document everything where possible.

When passed, Ed Burke and several other aldermen acknowledged that the ordinance was flawed, and would have to be amended "later".

Might I suggest that the amendment read: "Delete everything after the enactment clause and add, State law applies in Chicago just like the rest of the state."

AB

I'm filling out my registrations now, just in case, so that I'm not doing it last minute. Just curious if those who registered previously owned but never registered in the city guns, did you guys fill out section D? For the date possessed, do you write in NEVER, or just leave it blank?

I'm also curious if anyone used the date after McDonald but before the new ordinance.

Reading about all the hoops people have to jump through to just possess a handgun in their home makes me wonder what hoops Chicago would make people jump through if they were required to issue Licenses to Carry, and could set the trainng requirements and background check requirements? I imagine 400 hours of training, references from 10 people, a letter from your police cheif attesting to your character would probably be the start.

Reading about all the hoops people have to jump through to just possess a handgun in their home makes me wonder what hoops Chicago would make people jump through if they were required to issue Licenses to Carry, and could set the trainng requirements and background check requirements? I imagine 400 hours of training, references from 10 people, a letter from your police cheif attesting to your character would probably be the start.

That's why they won't be allowed to set the training standards. And don't give them any ideas.

I'm filling out my registrations now, just in case, so that I'm not doing it last minute. Just curious if those who registered previously owned but never registered in the city guns, did you guys fill out section D? For the date possessed, do you write in NEVER, or just leave it blank?

I'm also curious if anyone used the date after McDonald but before the new ordinance.

I left Section D blank for all the guns I owned prior to July 12th, 2010. I just signed and dated immediately below Section D.

I did include a personal affidavit listing the guns and attesting that I owned them prior to July 12th and kept them outside city limits.

Dude, that is brilliant! lol

Thank you.

It was a novel idea, I'm sure, to temporarily transfer a gun to a trusted friend as a way to play it safe with insane Chicago and Cook laws. ... :rolleyes:

I've even heard of such trusted friends acting as "Underground Railroads" to allow newly acquired guns from falling into the hands of the Gestapo CAGE Unit.

Bear with the new guy for a minute here...

I see talk of this CAGE unit all over this board. I understand what their mission is.

But they are just regular cops, right? They obviously can't search anyone's home.

What is the big deal about CAGE? Seems more like a marketing & public relations ploy to me.

They are just regular cops. Their assignment is/was gun stuff.

I left Section D blank for all the guns I owned prior to July 12th, 2010. I just signed and dated immediately below Section D.

I did include a personal affidavit listing the guns and attesting that I owned them prior to July 12th and kept them outside city limits.

Did you include any receipts as proof, showing the serial numbers, etc, or was your affidavit enough? Can you elaborate on what your affidavit looked like, without the person details? I may need to make my own and don't want to mess it up with time running out so quickly.

Did you include any receipts as proof, showing the serial numbers, etc, or was your affidavit enough? Can you elaborate on what your affidavit looked like, without the person details? I may need to make my own and don't want to mess it up with time running out so quickly.

You can provide receipts but a simple affidavit is enough.

I basically said I, <Your Name>, affirm and attest that the following firearms were owned by me prior to July 12th, 2010 and stored outside city limits.

<list of guns: make, model, serial number>

<Signature>

<Your Name>

<Date>

Hi Fellas, No disrepect to F.F. or the others here, whos knowledge I enjoy gleaning from your posts. But I don't think you have to worry about filling out section D, at least in regards to handguns. I filled mine out the way it was even for the pistol I bought 20+ years ago and stated exactly (as best as my memory) when I brought it into Chicago. And recieved registrations without a problem. The old ordinance was unenforceble. And the new one can't punish you for past deeds, hence the 90 day grace period. At least this is my take on this.

I signed my name and dated it 96 times this evening...can I sue for getting carpel tunnel syndrome filling out their stupid forms?

98 actually, since I signed the check and the affidavit.

I think those choosing to wait are taking a risk. I expect the City to prosecute scofflaws to the maximum extent possible given that they've been forced to comply against their will.

Note that the 'maximum extent possible' has been greatly increased in the new ordinance.

Via, thetruthaboutguns.com:

http://cbs2chicago.com/local/firefighter.arrested.gun.2.1868510.html

Going to be very interesting to see how this man's legal case plays out. Hopefully someone here can see the transcripts or something.

He should have had the thing unloaded, it would have made things a little easier for him.

I signed my name and dated it 96 times this evening...can I sue for getting carpel tunnel syndrome filling out their stupid forms?

98 actually, since I signed the check and the affidavit.

I spent $400+ bucks in hard costs and 900+ bucks covering fuel, and time.....

I can't imagine what your hard costs are going to be farmer.....

do you have figures? willing to share what they were/are?

Archived