Problem registering a rifle in Chicago

Joeyl

First - joeyl, good luck with the case and hope you win this. This will be very interesting to watch.

I won. Although really a non-issue to the rest of the state, who are fighting much bigger and important battles. I now legally own my rifle. The city has a month to appeal if they choose.

I'm flabbergasted. Congratulations on successfully registering an AR15 in the City of Chicago. I will monitor this thread for a month and keep my fingers crossed that they don't appeal. good luck!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

So, who is next person to register a bullet button AR15 in Chicago? Any bets if next person need to go through the same appeal process, or would the city, now they lost once, be smart enough and let the registration happen?

i'm thinking about it.....

I am thinking about trying as well. Looking at the newly release Colt LE6920-CA. On the other hand, trying exact model that Joeyl registered may be easier,

So, who is next person to register a bullet button AR15 in Chicago? Any bets if next person need to go through the same appeal process, or would the city, now they lost once, be smart enough and let the registration happen?

I am thinking about trying as well. Looking at the newly release Colt LE6920-CA. On the other hand, trying exact model that Joeyl registered may be easier,

I would get what you want. Make no mistake, your initial registration will be denied.

You will be in court, one way or another.

It would be really cool to see ownership of these types of firearms becoming normalized in Chicago (even if somewhat neutered.... for now :cool: ). Good luck if you proceed. Here is a copy of my hearing findings it may be of help. IANAL, I just studied the pertinent section of the Chicago ordinance and the evidence I used, and tried to present it in a logical progression. How this might help someone else I have no idea. I looked at the colt webpage it's a cool looking rifle, the page however only referred to it as a CA compliant rifle with a bullet button. It never used the term "fixed magazine". I couldn't find the owner's manual online so I don't know what it says. The Smith website refers to their CA compliant rifles as "fixed magazine" rifles. So does the owner's manual p.33 http://www.smith-wes..._10-10-2010.pdf . Also I used the term "fixed magazine" at the hearing, I didn't mention "bullet button", because I wanted to keep things as simple as possible. If there's any other info. in the findings you need clarification of let me know. I'd be happy to help a fellow Chicagoan. Well enough of my wordy response.

Joe.

• 3 months later...

It would be really cool to see ownership of these types of firearms becoming normalized in Chicago (even if somewhat neutered.... for now :cool: ). Good luck if you proceed. Here is a copy of my hearing findings it may be of help. IANAL, I just studied the pertinent section of the Chicago ordinance and the evidence I used, and tried to present it in a logical progression. How this might help someone else I have no idea. I looked at the colt webpage it's a cool looking rifle, the page however only referred to it as a CA compliant rifle with a bullet button. It never used the term "fixed magazine". I couldn't find the owner's manual online so I don't know what it says. The Smith website refers to their CA compliant rifles as "fixed magazine" rifles. So does the owner's manual p.33 http://www.smith-wes..._10-10-2010.pdf . Also I used the term "fixed magazine" at the hearing, I didn't mention "bullet button", because I wanted to keep things as simple as possible. If there's any other info. in the findings you need clarification of let me know. I'd be happy to help a fellow Chicagoan. Well enough of my wordy response.

Joe.

Looks like we are a long way from normalizing the registration of many rifles. My neighbor informed me this morning that the City of Chicago denied his application to register an unmodified Garand M1 rifle, deeming it an assault weapon. Seems to me that the 8-round en bloc clip is NOT a detachable magazine as specified in the ordinance, and hence the rifle does not meet the definition of an assault weapon. (Sound familiar, Federal Farmer?) I know that the stripper clip used by the SKS is different from the en bloc clip used by the Garand, but neither one is a detachable magazine. Seems to me that the City of Chicago learns nothing from being taken to court, and is determined to inflict the "death of a thousand cuts" on gun owners, bleeding us every step of the way.

I know of a Chicago resident with a CMP Garand. I'll inquire if it's registered in Chicago or merely stored at a relatives house outside of city limits. But I thought they had it legally registered pre McDonald decision.

Thanks. I'll forward your response to my neighbor. I don't think the McDonald decision reaction changed the rifle and shotgun requirements, did it?

I believe I spoke to this gentlemen last week on the phone. He can certainly prevail on the Garand not being an "assault weapon". However, he was also denied for waiting a few extra days to register it. I offered to help in any way, even providing copies of my Garand registration, but also told him that I think he will lose on the registration delay issue.

The gun desk does sometime give leeway on certain things, like number of days, but once you are in a hearing against a City lawyer, they go by the book.

Archived