Anyone hear about this"melting Point"

jkrzos

Howdy,

I want to buy a firearm mfgd in Ohio, but they say they cannot sell to Illinois because of the "melting point?"

We have been informed by some of our distributors of states that require firearms to withstand a melting point limit. In the list we were given, Illinois, Minnesota, Massachusetts, Maryland, South Carolina and California don’t allow the Chiappa 1911-22 to be sold since it doesn’t meet the limit.

I told him that there is a gun on gunsamerica to be sold, it doesn't have that restriction on it.

Todd-can you check into this or does anyone know of it?

Jkrzos

Yes, it has to do with "cheap" firearms. Somehow the metal in the gun makes it more dangerous. /sarcasm

I'll try to find the code for you.

Howdy,

I want to buy a firearm mfgd in Ohio, but they say they cannot sell to Illinois because of the "melting point?"

We have been informed by some of our distributors of states that require firearms to withstand a melting point limit. In the list we were given, Illinois, Minnesota, Massachusetts, Maryland, South Carolina and California don’t allow the Chiappa 1911-22 to be sold since it doesn’t meet the limit.

I told him that there is a gun on gunsamerica to be sold, it doesn't have that restriction on it.

Todd-can you check into this or does anyone know of it?

Jkrzos

Okay, found it.

(720 ILCS 5/24‑3)

"(h) While holding any license as a dealer, importer,

manufacturer or pawnbroker under the federal Gun Control Act of 1968, manufactures, sells or delivers to any unlicensed person a handgun having a barrel, slide, frame or receiver which is a die casting of zinc alloy or any other nonhomogeneous metal which will melt or deform at a temperature of less than 800 degrees Fahrenheit. For purposes of this paragraph, (1) "firearm" is defined as in the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act; and (2) "handgun" is defined as a firearm designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand, and includes a combination of parts from which such a firearm can be assembled. "

can be referenced at http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/fullt...=072000050K24-3

TEG

Howdy,

Thanks for the information, it really helps me. I have copied the legislation and emailed it to the mfgr. Awaiting their reply.

Todd,

don't know what it made of. It's a neat looking 1911, but chambered in .22LR. I love the 1911 platform(I have 7 of them). The company makes reproduction civil war guns and has branched out to include this model. google chiappi firearms. It doesn't break down the materials, but does has polymer magazines(could be a down side, but they have polymer AR magazines.)

again, thanks for the info.

Jkrzos

Howdy,

heres what I got from the manufacturer-

I want to thank you for sending this information to us; it will be very helpful when trying to help other people. I’ve scanned and attached a copy of the information describing the alloy composite for the Chiappa 1911-22. As is shown in the specifications, the melting point is 717-727 degrees Fahrenheit putting just below the requirements that Illinois has stipulated.

Thank you again for the reference you sent. You are the first person who has been kind enough to do so.

PJ

MKS Supply, Inc.

Jkrzos

guess I'm out for buying one until I move.

Too bad this handgun is outlawed in Illinois. It sounds like a sweet shooting, inexpensive 1911 to practice with. I wonder if they would consider changing their manufacturing process to bring the alloy's melting point up to 800+ degrees? Would it be worth their time and expense for sales in Illinois?

I've seen these available for sale in Illinois FYI.

Ain't that a kicker? Buy a gun thinking you're legal, not knowing the alloy has a melting point just 80 degrees shy of Illinois' legal limit. What's the sentencing guidelines for possession of a diecast zinc weapon? Ten years? This state has waaaaaay too many statutes to put unsuspecting citizens in jail!

I'm a bit late on this one but I did notice in the Gander Mountain black friday ad, A Heratige MFG 22lr revolver on sale, with "not available in IL" in the fine print. I did some digging and found out about the alloy frame issue too. They did have an optional steel frame legal in IL on their website. I tried to find the black friday ad again, but it has been taken down everywhere. Alloy frame and the available in IL Steel Frame.

The melting point restriction is a modern version of the Army/Navy law, no?

No, as I understand it, it's another leftover racist "Saturday night special" law. You know, keep guns expensive so that certain undesirable types can't afford them and make trouble.

That was the point of the Army/Navy law.

You could only buy the Army model revolver or the Navy model, and they were expensive.

• 2 weeks later...
There's a lot of issues higher on the list that should be challenged, but this is a good example of one that's RIPE for a court challenge.

Wouldn't life be grand if we got tort reform to "the loser pays" so that we could easily challenge all these inane and arbitrary limits on constitutional rights?!

kestrou

Welcome kestrou! And Merry Christmas!

Actually when you think about it, we lose even when we win, because the taxpayer picks up the tab on both sides. That's why anti-gun politicians don't mind fighting these battles in court. They don't have to show up or pay the legal fees - but we do!

Archived