Lake County SA drops 5 felony murder charges

mikew

Headlines all over.

https://www.dailyherald.com/news/20190919/lake-county-drops-murder-charges-against-chicago-teens

Lake County State's Attorney Michael Nerheim is dropping murder charges against five Chicago teenagers whose accomplice was shot and killed during a car burglary near Old Mill Creek last month.

The lone adult charged in the case, 18-year-old Diamond Davis, has agreed to plead guilty to felony burglary charge and a misdemeanor charge of trespassing, Nerheim said in a Thursday morning news release.

--more at link--

Lake County State's Attorney Michael Nerheim

First cousin removed by marriage then divorce and cross dressing

Crook County States Attorney Kimberly Foxx

Just when you think things are changing, it all stays the same. Just the players names change!

So who murdered the kid? No one!

Maybe now they will go after the old man who stopped this event in the first place.......not, he didn’t do anything wrong!

The 4 Juveniles will get a slap, the lone adult will get fined, probation, low bail/no bail, and community service. Maybe he can valet park for some church somewhere. He’s well versed in cars.

Ring Ring Father Flakey........

The four other teenagers, all boys, will have their cases remanded to juvenile court with the murder charges dropped. ...

Nerheim said the facts of the case support the original charges against the five.

"However, after full consideration of all the evidence, mitigation presented by defense counsel as well as the wishes of the victim's family, my office has entered into an agreement with defense counsel for the five offenders," Nerheim said in the statement. "This agreement ensures all offenders will be held responsible and face appropriate sentences."

Baby jail and a plea. Mitigation? Were they forced to commit armed burglary, armed robbery, and auto theft? The family of which victim, the murder "victim" or the homeowner?

I'd speculate that it means the defense counsel wouldn't take a deal that didn't remand the case to baby court and that the homeowner doesn't want to testify or that the DA doesn't want to let the defense rip him apart on cross-examination.

This is exactly how our Illinois government created career monsters. Drop the appropriate charges that should lock them up for decades to protect society from very bad people, and let them go with a slap on the wrist, instilling the logic that crime pays. It would be nice if we could track these kids and see how their record accrues. If anything thinks this episode will get them to rethink their ways, and start a new life on the straight and narrow are fooling themselves. Disgusting.

This is exactly how our Illinois government created career monsters. Drop the appropriate charges that should lock them up for decades to protect society from very bad people, and let them go with a slap on the wrist, instilling the logic that crime pays. It would be nice if we could track these kids and see how their record accrues. If anything thinks this episode will get them to rethink their ways, and start a new life on the straight and narrow are fooling themselves. Disgusting.

This just reinforces their belief that doing criminal acts while being minors will never be prosecuted and therefore let’s do it again. It is like the get out of jail card for this type of behavior. What astonishes me is that we have the mass murders being reported on by the media across the country and we have more mass murders in the city of Chicago on any given weekend and there is no outrage from anyone. Pretty pathetic.

It's LAKE COUNTY for heaven's sake!!!

A LOT of the people and legislators that make us miserable come from Lake County. I don't even want to START calling the roll. In the 90's I saw, and experienced, a special type of stupid up there.

Legislators like that imply a high percentage of LWW's. You just KNOW that EVERY SJW in Lake County was leaning on him, and he saw his political future hanging in the balance. And he Blinked.

I EXPECT more Crook County commuter crime in Lake County from now on.

I'm betting all those involved will be in prison (or dead) before they reach 30.

After taking how many others with them?

Good question, I originally included kill another before 30, but edited it right before I posted, from an article I read early on in the investigation all these thugs already have a lengthy rap sheet, getting slapped on the wrist when being responsible for a death will certainly not change their already plotted course.

This says a lot about "history" -

After the shooting, the six teenagers left in a vehicle. They stopped near an accident scene in Gurnee, where one of the boys got out with Swopes to seek medical attention. The other four drove away, leading police on a high-speed chase from Gurnee to Chicago, where the remaining teens were apprehended. Nerheim said they told police they fled because "they didn't want to go back to jail."

What I find mind boggling is the number of bleeding hearts on 'local' social media celebrating the fact the murder charges were dropped.

If I got a fews dollar for every idiot that said something along the lines of "Duh, they didn't murder anyone so the charges were bogus" (clearly indicating they don't have a clue as to what they are talking about) I would have a down payment on a new car already

I've always had an issue with murder charges being brought against someone who was peripherally involved in the actual killing. Just because you were there doesn't mean you had intent to kill.

My example is the guy driving the getaway car. Had no control over what was going on inside and nobody had any intent to murder anyone. The guys inside may not even have had a real weapon but in a struggle the cashier dies.

The getaway driver may not even be aware a murder had taken place until after the fact but now he's being charged with the crime? No intent, no hand on the gun, no opportunity to stop the murder?

Significant charges should have been brought.against these thugs, especially in light of their history but I'm not convinced murder is an appropriate charge in this case.

<flame on>

No intent, no hand on the gun, no opportunity to stop the murder?

Ah, but there is intent, their choice to be there and be part of the crime was intent to commit the crime, a crime with a 'strong probability of death or great bodily harm' and or a forcible felony thus he did have a opportunity to not be part of the murder by choosing to not be a partner to a forcible felony or other crime where there was a strong probability of death or great bodily harm.

no opportunity to stop the murder?

In your example what prevented him from calling the police instead of being the get away driver, or simply walking away and not taking part? The law requires advanced knowledge of the crime before you can be charged and/or being an active paticipant in a felony, someone tricked into being a get away driver with no knowledge that a crime was going to happen likely will not be charged and if they are charged has a very good defense.

If you are driving your homies to commit a crime, rob a store etc. Then you are infact a part and parcel of that crime being committed!

If your homies up the stakes with real or not real handgun, that’s still on you, you are as stated “the getaway driver” as in get away from the crime scene after the fact!

Best thing to do IF you don’t want to be apart of a possible murder charge or any other charge resulting out of being the getaway driver............

Then stop being the getaway driver, stop being a criminal, and stop whining when you get caught.

I’m willing to bet tons of tooth picks here that they were all laughing and having a great time before their night took a turn for the worse!

Until, the hammer comes down on there peoples, they can all read and watch the TV

It’s catch and release, or at best catch and don’t charge. Absolutely no reason for them to stop committing crimes.

Too many bleeding hearts want multiple felon counts to be a way/reason to get/ask for special help in getting your life back together so you can become a brain surgeon or politician!

I understand the principle of what you're saying but I still think murder requires a specific intent to kill the victim. Malice aforethought or whatever the term is. The person who committed the actual killing stroke would be the murderer, the rest are accessories to murder but not the murderer. And, if your actions lead to somebody else, not you or part of your group, delivering the killing stroke, that still doesn't make you a murderer. You're still a criminal, perhaps of a serious crime, but not murder.

I believe the tactic of charging all involved with the murder is intended to make thugs who aren't quite animals yet think twice before packing heat and engaging in violent crime but it's still an overreach in the charges.

But I also believe that a felon who's served their time should get all their rights back including their right to self-defense and to own a firearm, so what do I know?

Malice and forethought is the phrase you are looking for...

Part of malice is your willingness to participate in a crime. How could anyone participate in a crime without malice?

Forethought, or lack of forethought... the failure to think things through to a logical conclusion. What numbskull fails to see how the actions of his idiot buddies, the fools who came up with such a hair brained plan (and convinced him to be the getaway driver) might go awry?

I would be just fine with charging all 5 with murder as adults.

In for a penny, in for a pound.

Definition of malice. 1 : desire to cause pain, injury, or distress to another an attack motivated by pure malice. 2 : intent to commit an unlawful act or cause harm without legal justification or excuse ruined her reputation and did it with malice.

Definition of forethought. 1 : careful consideration of what will be necessary or may happen in the future.

Malice and forethought is the phrase you are looking for...

Part of malice is your willingness to participate in a crime. How could anyone participate in a crime without malice?

Forethought, or lack of forethought... the failure to think things through to a logical conclusion. What numbskull fails to see how the actions of his idiot buddies, the fools who came up with such a hair brained plan (and convinced him to be the getaway driver) might go awry?

I would be just fine with charging all 5 with murder as adults.

In for a penny, in for a pound.

Definition of malice. 1 : desire to cause pain, injury, or distress to another an attack motivated by pure malice. 2 : intent to commit an unlawful act or cause harm without legal justification or excuse ruined her reputation and did it with malice.

Definition of forethought. 1 : careful consideration of what will be necessary or may happen in the future.

Careful SoundGuy, you are beginning to sound more and more like a Conservative Republican every day!

To add insult, this eldest gets a slap on the wrist plea deal, I'm betting the rest don't even serve. FYI Class 4 felony is the least serious, she went from muder charges to little more than two misdemeanors.

Davis, 18, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit burglary, a class 4 felony, and criminal trespass to a vehicle, a class A misdemeanor.

https://www.dailyherald.com/news/20190926/lone-adult-member-of-lake-county-five-pleads-guilty-to-lesser-charges-in-fatal-car-theft

• 8 months later...

I heard a reportedly true story of a person who was asked by a passing acquaintance if he could give him a ride to his home. On the way, the guy explained that his car quit and he needed to stop by his bank to withdraw some funds to pay the mechanic. Driver stopped at bank. Guy got out, robbed it, got back in, driver dropped him off, and driver went ahead home. Not too long later, police show up and arrested the driver. He wound up doing some time. Still maintains to this day that he had no idea the guy was going to or did rob the bank until police arrested him.

Archived