Does anyone know anything more about the female Lyft driver who was arrested for drawing on two male passengers?

ChicagoRonin70

I wondered what might be happening with the case that Mr. Fife posted about here. Would there be any way to find out if the charges are still being pursued, or perhaps if they might be dropped if it is has turned out to be a self-defense case of a female defending herself against two threatening males who managed to get a call to the police first (and thus get her dinned, despite her being a concealed carry licensee)?

I looked for this on on blotters and dockets and such, by the individual's name, but couldn't come up with anything.

Anyone else know of any way to follow the progress (or lack thereof) of this case?

Here is the article on CWB: http://www.cwbchicago.com/2017/09/uber-driver-pulled-gun-on-boystown.html

Here it is on the Sun-Times website: http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/ride-share-driver-charged-with-pointing-gun-at-passengers-in-lake-view/

Other than news stories that came out right around the time it occurred, I cannot find a single mention of it anywhere.

I think this is an important case to find out about, given that it does involve a local concealed carrier and a potential defensive display, especially since it was a female pulling a firearm on two males, which seems like a very clear disparity of force if they had threatened her in any way.

I don't see the lady's name, jaleesa rance, on the cook county docket search site.

You could also call up the arresting department and ask the investigator for any publicly available information. I've done that before. Talk to an actual investigator, not the admin people.

Not sure if helps at all but in the Sun Times article it says:

Her next court date was scheduled for Sept. 11 before Judge Anthony John Calabrese

Her name shows up in zero court dockets, including all the cases filed at that court date.

I'm assuming charges were dropped, which of course is why there are no further articles about it... dropping charges against a CCL holder goes against the media's policy for information dissemination.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Not sure if helps at all but in the Sun Times article it says:

Her next court date was scheduled for Sept. 11 before Judge Anthony John Calabrese

Her name shows up in zero court dockets, including all the cases filed at that court date.

I'm assuming charges were dropped, which of course is why there are no further articles about it... dropping charges against a CCL holder goes against the media's policy for information dissemination.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

This is what I was coming up with, as well. My take is that the charges were indeed dropped, as expected.

• 8 months later...

Hah! An update for here!

Early one morning last September, Lyft driver Jaleesa Rance picked up two men from the Sidetrack nightclub in Lakeview. They started arguing when one of the men said she had taken a wrong turn, according to police. Rance stopped her car, pulled a Smith and Wesson handgun from the center console and told them to “get out of my (expletive) car.” As they left, she yelled a gay slur and said, "I'll blast you." She was charged with aggravated assault and unlawful use of a weapon, but was acquitted. Lyft later made clear their drivers are not to have weapons in their cars.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-illinois-concealed-carry-shootings-20180523-story.html

Even funnier, I got into an argument with the publishers of Crime in Wrigleyville and Boystown, who were spastically livid about this incident and insulting me because I made the comment that the incident was most likely the result of the driver drawing her concealed firearm due to being threatened. They actually blocked me from responding to their tirade. This was before they deactivated the ability for anyone to post comments on that site.

And, a quick follow up to my contacts from journalism sources confirms that indeed, it appears that the two passengers did act aggressively towards the driver, which was why she drew her firearm, despite the unfortunate slur she used towards them.

Which was likely why the charges were dropped, because she was female being confronted by two men, and thus the disparity of force. They did file a lawsuit in civil court, though, against Lyft, to try to get money for the incident.

Archived