Oak Park Firearm Regulation Forum - Public Safety Issue

GarandCollector

The first step in a new approach to infringe on the 2nd Amendment begins below:

My link

Firearm regulation forum set

A community forum to gather public input for consideration in regulating the sale and possession of firearms is scheduled for 7 p.m., Tues., Jan. 24, at Village Hall, 123 Madison St. Hosted by the Board of Health as a public safety issue, the forum is part of a process that ultimately will lead to recommendations to the Village Board for possible action. Prohibiting businesses from selling firearms is considered unlikely, officials say, given recent U.S. Supreme and Appellate Court rulings. However, laws that regulate where, how and to whom firearms are sold and kept are among those considered legally defensible. For more information on the meeting, call 708.358.5480 or e-mail health@oak-park.us.

The first step in a new approach to infringe on the 2nd Amendment begins below:

My link

Firearm regulation forum set

A community forum to gather public input for consideration in regulating the sale and possession of firearms is scheduled for 7 p.m., Tues., Jan. 24, at Village Hall, 123 Madison St. Hosted by the Board of Health as a public safety issue, the forum is part of a process that ultimately will lead to recommendations to the Village Board for possible action. Prohibiting businesses from selling firearms is considered unlikely, officials say, given recent U.S. Supreme and Appellate Court rulings. However, laws that regulate where, how and to whom firearms are sold and kept are among those considered legally defensible. For more information on the meeting, call 708.358.5480 or e-mail health@oak-park.us.

Four words: Shall. Not. Be. Infringed.

Molly, Dr G,..... Someone should seriously see if David Sigale or Alan G. are interested in this new silliness. Does Oak Park really want to push another lawsuit?

I'd Love to see Mr. Gura drop in to the meeting and say Hello to the anti crowd. But it would probably be in their best interests to let the mini egomaniacs play their games and just pound them in court later.

Oak Park just didn't learn from the McDonald decision because Chicago paid all the legal bills.

If they try this crap they will find out how costly it is to be on the losing side of a lawsuit.

Oak Park is a bastion of liberalism and laws and common sense do not apply within their borders.

Sadly, the Chicago officer that died yesterday was right on the Chicago/Oak Park border. Anyone wanna bet how long it takes for them too start dancing in the blood of the slain officer to "prove" their point?

How ignorant are these people?

Prohibiting businesses from selling firearms is considered unlikely, officials say, given recent U.S. Supreme and Appellate Court rulings. However, laws that regulate where, how and to whom firearms are sold and kept are among those considered legally defensible.

Gee, from reading that you'd think there were no such laws now. :Ahem...:

This is why one vector for the restoration of our Second Amendment rights should be trying to change the hearts and minds of those that oppose the RKBA as well as continued lobbying and litigating.

The elected officials in Oak Park are being hammered by a very vocal segment of the population that truly believes that gun are evil, no citizen should own one, especially in Oak Park, etc. These people definitely showed up at La Shawn Ford's THM in Oak Park. There is still an outrage over that new gun store that stocks nothing. What's really needed here is for the Oak Park residents that support the RKBA to attend this meeting.

What these "liberal" officials fail to see or fail to admit, is that they are engaged in the same kind of end-run-around-civil-rights that the bigots in the south engaged in trying to block integration in the schools and equal access to the polls, while acknowledging that that it would be unconstitutional to have more bans. It looks like they had a self-funded pot to draw from the pay the NRA, so no one in the local government is feeling the pain, but perhaps it's not empty. Yet.

Making this a public health issue? Someone needs to show up with stats of automobile related deaths vs. firearms related deaths, especially in Oak Park. Then politely follow that up with the observation that firearm ownership is constitutionally protected, but automobile ownership is not.

Trying to use facts and logic will just confuse them. :Ahem...:

Oak Park did learn from Heller and MacDonald. They are going to use a new and different tact - that of imposing reasonable regulation and on the basis of public health concerns.

I do believe that this is the new front in the effort to restrict 2nd Amendment rights.

I cannot verfiy this but I also believe that Oak Park is getting help from LCAV.

They are going to try to restrict firearms to the utmost degree with a careful eye to making it legally defensable.

Here is the latest.....

My link

Oak Park plans gun forum on Jan. 24

Tuesday, January 10th, 2012 10:00 PM

By Marty Stempniak

Staff Reporter

Any Oak Parkers who want to have a say on how the village regulates guns in the future will get their chance later this month.

The Oak Park Board of Health, a citizens advisory panel, is hosting a forum on Jan. 24 to gather input from residents on guns. Oak Park's decades-long handgun ban was struck down by the Supreme Court in mid-2010, and a gun store recently opened in the village, making the timing right for a community conversation.

"We want to hear from citizens about their thoughts and ideas as to how firearms should be regulated in the village of Oak Park," said Margaret Provost-Fyfe.

A couple of years ago, the health board came up with a list of possible actions that the community could take in the event that the handgun was banned. And with the recent opening of Windy City Firearms on Roosevelt Road, village trustees asked the health board to host the forum to start the ball rolling toward possible action.

The Jan. 24 meeting will give each participant three minutes to speak. The health board will then draft recommendations and forward them to the board for future discussion at an undetermined date.

Village President David Pope said he's anxious to hear what might be suggested.

"I think we're all going to look forward to what comes back from the board of health in determining what steps, if any, should be pursued at that point," Pope said.

Following the June 2010 ruling, Oak Park tweaked its handgun ban, allowing people to carry firearms in their place of business or home, while still prohibiting assault weapons.

Some ideas from the health board's 2010 report included starting a handgun registry, holding safety courses and requiring owners to securely store their handguns. Oak Park may also explore zoning regulations related to gun stores, according to Simone Boutet, the acting village attorney.

David Schweig, a 75-year-old Oak Parker who fought the village's handgun ban in the 1980s, hopes that forum is balanced and fair.

"The overwhelming majority of the people who come to these hearings are on my side of the issue, and they refuse to be silenced or shushed," he said.

Another article from the closed minded Wednesday Journal in Oak Park

My link

By Ken Trainor

Staff writer

Are you in favor of regulating guns in spite of the conservative wing of the Supreme Court banning our handgun ban? The Oak Park Board of Health, a citizens advisory panel, will host a public forum next Tuesday night to give residents a chance to weigh in on the subject.

"We want to hear from citizens about their thoughts and ideas as to how firearms should be regulated in the village of Oak Park," said Margaret Provost-Fyfe, director of the Oak Park Public Health Department.

The health department has already come up with a list of ideas, ranging from a handgun registry to requiring village-sponsored safety training and zoning regulations for gun stores (so we don't get a repeat of the shop that just opened on Roosevelt Road, across the street from two towns with significant gang activity — Brilliant!).

I won't be at the forum on Jan. 24 (village hall, 7 p.m.) because I've already heard more than I care to from the "rah, rah, guns for everyone" crowd, but I do have a few suggestions for the board's consideration:

1) An advisory referendum on the November ballot: "In the interest of public safety, are you in favor of regulating the use, possession and sale of handguns in the village of Oak Park?" Or words to that effect. It would allow voters to make a statement and we'll find out where residents really stand on the issue. Or have the board of health conduct a village-wide survey on guns, gun ownership and gun carrying in the village. The results would likely be illuminating.

2) Institute a voluntary ban on handguns. It's symbolic, but it allows us to take a public stand in favor of sanity. They say people rise to meet expectations. Oak Park should clearly and courageously state its collective expectation: We don't want guns in our village. Cite the referendum results as proof. People need to know when they're out of step with their community.

3) Impose a stiff tax on gun ownership. Gun enthusiasts should have to pay for the privilege of endangering the rest of us. It's the least they can do to show how socially responsible they are. If they don't register and pay the tax, their gun ownership would be revoked.

4) Install metal detectors at the entrance of all public buildings — libraries, schools, churches, village hall, the Lake Theatre, restaurants. According to The Index in Harper's magazine last month, no less than 11,488 guns were confiscated last year alone from tourists visiting the Statue of Liberty. That gives a clear indication of the insanity sweeping this country. I don't want modern gunslingers bringing their weapons into public places in Oak Park. Just as cowboys had to surrender their pistols when they entered the saloon in the old Westerns, today's cowboys and vigilante-wannabes should have to surrender their precious firearms in full view of everyone — and then show their FOID card in order to retrieve them when they leave.

5) Require anyone with a gun to join a newly constituted Oak Park Militia, which would train several weeks per year, preferably during the hottest part of the summer, plus one weekend per month. Since they love the Second Amendment so much and since the amendment so clearly states that being a member of a well-regulated militia is critical to the right to bear arms, they can hardly object. The police would call them in to assist in emergencies.

Whatever we do, let's set an example for other communities around the country. Maybe this will catch on.

The Supreme Court ruling is wrong. They're imposing an extremist interpretation of the Second Amendment. Communities should be allowed to protect their "domestic tranquility" as they see fit, not forced on us by well-financed, outside lobbying groups. The conservative partisans who rule the court now won't be there forever. Someday, when the country comes to its senses, we'll finally repeal this execrable, obsolete amendment. The day that happens should be declared a national holiday.

Law, first and foremost, is a way for communities to codify their values and their expectations. I'm pretty confident in saying that the vast majority of Oak Park residents do not value firearms. We expect people to keep them out of this community. Our laws should reflect that. They are an expression of our very identity.

The problem with next Tuesday's forum is that it will be dominated by the gun slingers, so, like me, a lot of people may stay away to spare themselves the aggravation. Instead, I urge an email/phone call/letter-writing campaign to express your support for regulating guns in Oak Park. Feel free to second my motion for any or all of the aforementioned recommendations.

I suggest contacting Village President David Pope, who has expressed an interest in this issue, by calling 708-358-5796 or emailing dpope@oak-park.us.

Contact Margaret Provost-Fyfe, head of the health department, by calling 708-358-5480 or e-mailing health@oak-park.us.

Larry

By Ken Trainor

Staff writer

Are you in favor of regulating guns in spite of the conservative wing of the Supreme Court banning our handgun ban? The Oak Park Board of Health, a citizens advisory panel, will host a public forum next Tuesday night to give residents a chance to weigh in on the subject.

GOOD LORD!!! Writer Ken Trainor spews his venomous rhetoric and right next to his gun hater manifesto are - not one - but TWO ads for The Sportman's Guide!! Talk about biting the hand that feeds you!! I think we should ALL contact the Sportman's Guide and strongly ask them to pull their ads while citing this article. I, for one, refuse to do business with anyone that advertises with such liberal, gun hating businesses. I wonder how Mr. Trainor's boss will like that??

Here is the latest.....

My link

Oak Park plans gun forum on Jan. 24

Tuesday, January 10th, 2012 10:00 PM

By Marty Stempniak

Staff Reporter

Any Oak Parkers who want to have a say on how the village regulates guns in the future will get their chance later this month.

The Oak Park Board of Health, a citizens advisory panel, is hosting a forum on Jan. 24 to gather input from residents on guns. Oak Park's decades-long handgun ban was struck down by the Supreme Court in mid-2010, and a gun store recently opened in the village, making the timing right for a community conversation.

"We want to hear from citizens about their thoughts and ideas as to how firearms should be regulated in the village of Oak Park," said Margaret Provost-Fyfe.

A couple of years ago, the health board came up with a list of possible actions that the community could take in the event that the handgun was banned. And with the recent opening of Windy City Firearms on Roosevelt Road, village trustees asked the health board to host the forum to start the ball rolling toward possible action.

The Jan. 24 meeting will give each participant three minutes to speak. The health board will then draft recommendations and forward them to the board for future discussion at an undetermined date.

Village President David Pope said he's anxious to hear what might be suggested.

"I think we're all going to look forward to what comes back from the board of health in determining what steps, if any, should be pursued at that point," Pope said.

Following the June 2010 ruling, Oak Park tweaked its handgun ban, allowing people to carry firearms in their place of business or home, while still prohibiting assault weapons.

Some ideas from the health board's 2010 report included starting a handgun registry, holding safety courses and requiring owners to securely store their handguns. Oak Park may also explore zoning regulations related to gun stores, according to Simone Boutet, the acting village attorney.

David Schweig, a 75-year-old Oak Parker who fought the village's handgun ban in the 1980s, hopes that forum is balanced and fair.

"The overwhelming majority of the people who come to these hearings are on my side of the issue, and they refuse to be silenced or shushed," he said.

I find it interesting that if you go to the Illinois State Police website and check municipal fireams ordinances you'll see a a 2002 letter for Oak Parks ordinances that says handgun possession is prohibited. I guess they don't want to update that.

Forget what I said above it was Morton Grove I was thinking of not Oak Park.

I really liked this comment left by an Oak Park resident:

Ray Simpson from Oak Park

Posted: Wednesday, January 18th, 2012 11:48 AM

Gunz - Both of the shooters you use to prove a point were not legally allowed to own, posses or use a gun. I understand that you dream of a world where guns do not or have never existed. Prove to me that before gunpowder and guns, men never did harm to each other. Different time different way of doing harm - it's the nature of the beast. Why don't you pick a fight you have a chance of winning. This one is stacked against you. Why don't you aim your effort at the courts and legal system who allow bad people to get away with illegal armed violence. If you would take that one on I would join your effort as would most of the people who argue with you here.

Mr. Trainor really does live in a world of his own. That has to rank in the top 5 most ill conceived articles I've ever read...and that Gunz Kill guy is just as disillusioned as the author.

My real concern is that they have people that agree with them, and they all vote!!!!

Tim

"3) Impose a stiff tax on gun ownership. Gun enthusiasts should have to pay for the privilege of endangering the rest of us. It's the least they can do to show how socially responsible they are. If they don't register and pay the tax, their gun ownership would be revoked."

What a wrongheaded statement. How about taxes on publications such as this one, who's wrongheaded ideas endanger the constitutional rights of every single American citizen living in Oak Park.

How about we institute stiff taxes on news papers and other online publications, for their dangerous abuse of the first amendment? This damned thing called the constitution and its second amendment guarantee the right to bear arms, the same way it guarantees this nutball from another world the right to have and voice his wrongheaded ideas.

That whole article makes my blood BOIL and makes me thank GOD that we have the first amendment in this country; so idiots like that are free to say what they think and publish it too.

5) Require anyone with a gun to join a newly constituted Oak Park Militia, which would train several weeks per year, preferably during the hottest part of the summer, plus one weekend per month. Since they love the Second Amendment so much and since the amendment so clearly states that being a member of a well-regulated militia is critical to the right to bear arms, they can hardly object. The police would call them in to assist in emergencies.

Um......don't know if I can make the meeting, so somebody please inform him that we and so is he a member of a militia per the IL Constitution.

http://www.ilga.gov/commission/lrb/con12.htm

SECTION 1. MEMBERSHIP

The State militia consists of all able-bodied persons

residing in the State except those exempted by law.

(Source: Illinois Constitution.)

Well if Oak Park is going to have a Militia, will they be training with Military weapons?

M-4's, M-16's, Ma Duce and SAW's? All those rifles with the fun switch!

If anyone attends the meeting, Mentioning Walmarts starting to carry AR's and I forgot but got reminded today that even Sears web sites list evil things such as AR parts and evil +10 round magazines and lasers for glocks.

Sears search on CMMG

Sears Glock search

Surprise surprise....crime is down 8% in Oak Park. Where is all the "blood in the streets" "wild west" type gunfights we kept hearing about? Whats that? Not a single case since the handgun ban was repealed? Something MUST be wrong...

http://triblocal.com/oak-park-river-forest/2012/01/19/oak-park-crime-down-8-hits-39-year-low/

On Thursday, Oak Park said 1,757 incidents were reported in 2011. This is down from 1,904 in 2010.

The year with the highest number of reported crime incidents in the last 40 years was 4,258 in 1988, according to information provided by police.

Surprise surprise....crime is down 8% in Oak Park. Where is all the "blood in the streets" "wild west" type gunfights we kept hearing about? Whats that? Not a single case since the handgun ban was repealed? Something MUST be wrong...

http://triblocal.com...ts-39-year-low/

On Thursday, Oak Park said 1,757 incidents were reported in 2011. This is down from 1,904 in 2010.

The year with the highest number of reported crime incidents in the last 40 years was 4,258 in 1988, according to information provided by police.

Let's see, the highest number of crimes was reported in 1988, 4 years AFTER the ban was passed. Now, they have the LOWEST number of incidents in 39 years happens one year AFTER the ban is ended?? Are they totally incapable of rational thought?? Or are they just plain stupid??

Archived