FOID and CCL.. Carry both?

EdMac87

1. You're only required to carry your CCL. Keep in mind, however, that some stores may still require you to show a FOID card for guns/ammo purchases due to outdated store policies.

2. When CCLs were first issued (early 2014), they didn't replace the FOID cards... that's a more recent requirement. Nowadays, yes, they automatically issue a new FOID with a number that matches the CCL.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I had an interesting experience buying a gun this week at the World Shooting Complex in Sparta.

I was in the market for a new shotgun and after having demoed a couple, decided on a Citori. The vendor was from Ohio and told me that this year there were special regulations passed that allowed Illinois residents to forego the 24 hour waiting period and take the gun home same day purchased. I thought this was a great thing as I had not planned on making another trip up to the complex.

After filling out the paperwork, I gave the sales clerk my conceal carry card. She looked at me strangely and said she needed my foid number. I explained to her that now the CCL and foid numbers are one in the same. She said that they had never had anyone present a CCL to try to purchase a gun before. I explained to her that I had bought a gun earlier this year and made several ammo purchases using only the concealed carry license.

Long story short, they went ahead and ran my purchase and it was rejected by the state police. Turns out that the foid and CCL have different expiration dates and this caused a major problem.I ended up having them hold the gun and called them the next day with the foid info and everything went through without a hitch.

This is the first I've heard about no 24 hour wait for long gun purchases...

Assuming the vendor from Ohio was mistaken? Or maybe they have that law in Ohio and he thought it applied here?

There was an attempted bill HB3563 that died AFAIK which tried something similar. Maybe there was a second bill that was passed last session?

...Amends the Criminal Code of 2012. Provides that waiting period for the delivery of a firearm after application for its purchase has been made does not apply to the transfer or sale of any rifle, shotgun, or other long gun to a resident registered participant or non-resident registered participant by any dealer licensed as a federal firearms dealer under the federal Gun Control Act of 1968 at competitive shooting events held at the World Shooting Complex sanctioned by a national governing body. ...

Assuming the vendor from Ohio was mistaken? Or maybe they have that law in Ohio and he thought it applied here?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A

Apparently there was special legislation passed just for this event and others like it. In order to make a same day purchase, you had to go to the event center and fill out a form with your name and date of birth. This form was submitted to the state police and an hour or two later you were good to go.

Sounded too good to be true but I actually confirmed the process through two CPO's who were assigned to the event.

On FOID and CCL expiration dates, my FFL told me he wants to see the FOID card only because of the difference in expiration dates.

Since the FOID expires in 10 years and the CCL expires in 5 years, the dates would never match.

When I purchase guns or ammo I only present my FOID, I don't want the clerk to ask if I'm carrying.

The whole dates thing makes no sense!

If the FOID has expired, and assuming they want to see it to see if it has expired, IF the FOID expired or was revoked the CCL would also be bad!

Ten years, five years makes no difference.

The CCL is good to go for all purchases and even though I can't believe I'm saying this.....find a dealer or ffl who understands the law and respects the same!

Simply put, run the number on the card and let it process we do it all day everyday.

Yeah it took awhile to get the word passed around to stores etc, but we're talking since Jun/Jul '15 for criminey sakes.

We get the FOID/CCL which to carry every three months, maybe we need to get a Mod/Admin to make a sticky on this as peeps are still confused about why they get a new FOID or wheather they need to carry both! Biggest question to sticky and answer is MollyB's replies about foods and CCL's being valid while being issued and changed in any way.

Carry On, or don't carry on......lol

On FOID and CCL expiration dates, my FFL told me he wants to see the FOID card only because of the difference in expiration dates.

Since the FOID expires in 10 years and the CCL expires in 5 years, the dates would never match.
But this may be something they actually got right!

With sending out a new FOID that matches the CCL and Active dates matching, posted here many times over, every five years you renew the cards could match......5+5 = 10

But never is always a word to avoid!!!!!!!

Carry both, next week when we start carrying switchblades we will have to prove we have a FOID if stopped. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Let me run over to the switchblade thread........run, run, run,.......

Can't find anything on CCL being a requirement or being an allowed ID.

Just says FOID as requirement.

I think peeps, me included think since the CCL is only good if you have a FOID that it would suffice!

But the school of thought in the other thread is you must have the FOID on your person......

But this may be something they actually got right!

With sending out a new FOID that matches the CCL and Active dates matching, posted here many times over, every five years you renew the cards could match......5+5 = 10

But never is always a word to avoid!!!!!!!

I could be mistaken, but havent we seen posts that said with a new replacement FOID card, the expirations date did not change?

I cant check as I was in that early, non replacement era.

I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned, but when I received my CCL in 06/2017, the CCL number matched my FOID card number which was issued 04/2015. I just assumed that this was the current SOP rather than issuing new FOID cards. In any case, it's common sense that if you have been issued a CCL which has prereq. for a FOID, then you really shouldn't have to carry the FOID card as well. When I went to range in Des Plaines recently, they asked for my FOID for range use I asked if the CCL would suffice. They said no, they need the FOID. Like others said, maybe just the expiration date is required?

Carry both. FOID used for everything a FOID is used for. FCCL used to carry and is only shown to LEO when requested/required. Isn't anybody else's business.

NOW, IF (and it's a real big IF) they were to change the law to, say, eliminate waiting periods if you have a FCCL then perhaps I'd start showing it to purchase firearms. Until then FOID works fine for all that so FOID is what they get to see.

There was an attempted bill HB3563 that died AFAIK which tried something similar. Maybe there was a second bill that was passed last session?

...Amends the Criminal Code of 2012. Provides that waiting period for the delivery of a firearm after application for its purchase has been made does not apply to the transfer or sale of any rifle, shotgun, or other long gun to a resident registered participant or non-resident registered participant by any dealer licensed as a federal firearms dealer under the federal Gun Control Act of 1968 at competitive shooting events held at the World Shooting Complex sanctioned by a national governing body. ...

The exception to the waiting period for purchases at the World Shooting Complex is in the Criminal Code, 720 ILCS 5/24-3(A)(g)(5):

(A) A person commits the offense of unlawful sale or delivery of firearms when he or she knowingly does any of the following:

(g) ...delivers any rifle, shotgun or other long gun, or a stun gun or taser, incidental to a sale, without withholding delivery of such rifle, shotgun or other long gun, or a stun gun or taser for at least 24 hours after application for its purchase has been made. However, this paragraph (g) does not apply to:

(5) the transfer or sale of any rifle, shotgun, or other long gun to a resident registered competitor or attendee or non-resident registered competitor or attendee by any dealer licensed as a federal firearms dealer under Section 923 of the federal Gun Control Act of 1968 at competitive shooting events held at the World Shooting Complex sanctioned by a national governing body.

See http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/fulltext.asp?DocName=072000050K24-3

So it is weird in that regardless of the expiration date by the cards are active and valid!

So accepting either card as allowed by the law would seem to make this glitch in this particular instance the issue!

Our cards wheather concisely dated are either invalid or valid......

Many here have discussed the carry of both or just the ccl before, and the consensus was that finding a store who accepts either as you wish to show/hand over is key.

The date hasn't been an issue since June of '15 when the issuance of new foids was started!

If this was an issue, it would have reared its ugly head before near two years later.

Carry both. FOID used for everything a FOID is used for. FCCL used to carry and is only shown to LEO when requested/required. Isn't anybody else's business. NOW, IF (and it's a real big IF) they were to change the law to, say, eliminate waiting periods if you have a FCCL then perhaps I'd start showing it to purchase firearms. Until then FOID works fine for all that so FOID is what they get to see.

Unless you lose your wallet.

Then you have neither FOID nor CCL, and cannot even legally possess a firearm or ammunition. You'll wait 30+ days for a replacement FOID, then you can apply for the replacement CCL which will probably take another few days to a week. (commonly reported timelines)

Or if the FOID is at home in the safe, you just get the replacement CCL which comes in a few days.

Carry both. FOID used for everything a FOID is used for. FCCL used to carry and is only shown to LEO when requested/required. Isn't anybody else's business. NOW, IF (and it's a real big IF) they were to change the law to, say, eliminate waiting periods if you have a FCCL then perhaps I'd start showing it to purchase firearms. Until then FOID works fine for all that so FOID is what they get to see.Unless you lose your wallet.Then you have neither FOID nor CCL, and cannot even legally possess a firearm or ammunition. You'll wait 30+ days for a replacement FOID, then you can apply for the replacement CCL which will probably take another few days to a week. (commonly reported timelines)Or if the FOID is at home in the safe, you just get the replacement CCL which comes in a few days.

Yep, I've had a DL for going on 45 years now, never ever lost one. Not too worried about it now.

You also assume, incorrectly, that FOID and CCL are carried together - they are not.

If, by some odd twist of the universe the highly unlikely actually manages to come to pass -- wife's FOID and CCL will cover things nicely.

My FOID has been sitting safely in my gun safe ever since the "clean up" bill where they confirmed showing a CCL is sufficient to buy guns / ammo. I've never had an issue, but did have to explain it to a couple of store employees when purchasing ammo. I'm not surprised if there is occasionally a new employee at a big-box retailer who doesn't understand that CCL will work, but it should be rare by now...

MY CCL was issued on 3/5/2014. I never received a new FOID card. My CCL number is the same as my FOID except that the number 14 is put in front of it.

I think this is normal for the early adopters though. We will get a new FOID probably when we renew our CCL? MY FOID doesn't expire until 2022 but the CCL expires in 2019.

All that said, I carry both, along with my Utah, Florida, New Hampshire, and CCWSafe membership card. It's all kept in a separate mini wallet.

Archived