Letter Advice

Stu_B

Hello,

A good friend of many years has asked me to write a letter stating my opinion on his risk of dangerousness and their ability to possess firearms in a manner that will not be dangerous to public safety or himself.

My letter is as follows:

<name> has been a good friend of mine for a few years now. In my opinion, he poses no risk of danger to me or anyone else in the public. I am fully aware of the circumstances that caused him to lose his FOID card; however, I fully believe in his ability to posses a firearm. He is very intelligent, extremely cautious, and he deserves to be granted his FOID card privileges.

I'm probably over thinking this all, but is this short letter sufficient and will it serve the purpose?

Thanks in advance.

- Stu

I think I would be more specific not saying a few Or many. You are contradicting yourself. Also if you know why he lost his FOID address that. I would be specific in each of the situations that you are aware of and address them individually. Your letter isn't specific enough as to why you believe that the previous situation doesn't exist anymore. Don't beat around the bush. For instance he poses no risk to himself or others why. You saying that you are fully aware how do they know you are fully aware? You were only aware of what he told you. Maybe he didn't tell you everything that is why specifics matter.

Hello,

A good friend of many years has asked me to write a letter stating my opinion on his risk of dangerousness and their ability to possess firearms in a manner that will not be dangerous to public safety or himself.

My letter is as follows:

<name> has been a good friend of mine for a few years now. In my opinion, he poses no risk of danger to me or anyone else in the public. I am fully aware of the circumstances that caused him to lose his FOID card; however, I fully believe in his ability to posses a firearm. He is very intelligent, extremely cautious, and he deserves to be granted his FOID card privileges I have no knowledge of any reason why his right to keep and bear arms should be denied.

I'm probably over thinking this all, but is this short letter sufficient and will it serve the purpose?

Thanks in advance.

- Stu

If he's been a friend of yours for many years why do you say a few years in the letter?

For what it's worth, there is a phrase in the bible saying "a few, that is eight".

I use that for the reference as to what "few" actually means. It works pretty good.

Using the term few or many leaves the question open as to how many or how few. It's like you don't know the answer. It's like using the term basically. Using the term Basically also leaves one to ponder what does that person actually mean. Be specific.

Well, I've read your letter several times. Since we are not acquainted, it's actually a good exercise. Did you convince a stranger to give your friend his rights back? No, you didn't. For the same reasons spec5 mentioned. If this guy is your #1 bro and you know he's solid, then sell it. Tell them why you KNOW he's ok to be trusted with firearms. If you can't articulate those reasons, then maybe it's not someone you should feel obligated to write that letter for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did I miss something or did first time poster Stu_b go silent?

B

It's Stu_b

Good question tho'

Not a thread winner just yet........tapping fingers on desk........

Yep. Not delta but bravo. Good catch.

• 2 weeks later...

To Whom It May Concern,

It is indeed a pleasure to write this letter on behalf of Joe Smo. I have known Mr. Smo for several years. During this time, he has exemplified the ability to function at a level of above average and is an upstanding citizen.

Mr. Smo was arrested in 2014 for Possession of Cannabis/30-500 Gram/1st and MFG/DEL of Cannabis/30-500. As his manager at the time of the arrest, I was one of the first people he contacted to be made aware of the situation and that he will be missing work. Myself, two of Mr. Smo's past CEOs, and his brother and parents were all present in court the next day. Although upset with the situation, we all believed that Joe will move forward from this and do nothing but great things.

Mr. Smo is known as a hard-working, intelligent, and highly motivated individual. It was not difficult to put my trust back in Joe in the work force. Joe remained a staff member of mine for ... until June of 2017. His dedication and strong ethics were respected by all coworkers that worked alongside him.

In conclusion, Mr. Smo has proved to be a capable man with a promising future. In my opinion, he poses no risk of danger to me or anyone else in the public. I am fully aware of the circumstances that caused him to lose his FOID card; however, I fully believe in his ability to possess a firearm. Your consideration would be greatly appreciated. Please feel free to contact me at 555-555-5555 if I can be of any further assistance.

Sincerely,

Replaced real life information for privacy reasons. Thanks again for all the help.

Archived