Pro-2A Resolutions - Game Plan and Resources thread

GarandFan

UPDATE

I just got off the phone with Rep. Flider's office. I am now on his 2nd Amendment Advisory Committee....aimed at opposing gun control out of Cook County, and setup to have direct contact with Rep. Flider to ensure he is kept up to date on what the community is doing and saying in regards to our Second Amendment Rights.

It was mentioned that the meetings will be starting in January, and that a number of other state Reps. will be setting up similar Committees, so find out if your Reps are setting up similar committees, and find a way to get on them. I guess this is a new strategy to aid us in getting new laws in our favor and old laws removed, along with opposition to legislation aimed at infringing on our Constitutional Rights. I'd say it's a good thing.

UPDATE

I just got off the phone with Rep. Flider's office. I am now on his 2nd Amendment Advisory Committee....aimed at opposing gun control out of Cook County, and setup to have direct contact with Rep. Flider to ensure he is kept up to date on what the community is doing and saying in regards to our Second Amendment Rights.

It was mentioned that the meetings will be starting in January, and that a number of other state Reps. will be setting up similar Committees, so find out if your Reps are setting up similar committees, and find a way to get on them. I guess this is a new strategy to aid us in getting new laws in our favor and old laws removed, along with opposition to legislation aimed at infringing on our Constitutional Rights. I'd say it's a good thing.

Welcome, I too am on Flider's 2A committee, was invited last summer, had a meeting in Sept I believe. Had Todd Vandermyde (NRA) there to speak. Not sure how long he's had the committe, but it's beginning to focus on different targets. Mostly deals with state legislature, not sure what help it can give with the current Cook Co mess.

I believe several others on this board are also members of the committee, or at least were invited to the last meeting.

AB

UPDATE

Welcome, I too am on Flider's 2A committee, was invited last summer, had a meeting in Sept I believe. Had Todd Vandermyde (NRA) there to speak. Not sure how long he's had the committe, but it's beginning to focus on different targets. Mostly deals with state legislature, not sure what help it can give with the current Cook Co mess.

I believe several others on this board are also members of the committee, or at least were invited to the last meeting.

AB

So how does it all work? I already committed to joining based on what I said above, but since you have already been involved, what should I expect? Like I've said before, I'm new to the political arena, but I saw the need to be actively involved, so I jumped in head first. Good thing I'm a quick learner!

[

So how does it all work? I already committed to joining based on what I said above, but since you have already been involved, what should I expect? Like I've said before, I'm new to the political arena, but I saw the need to be actively involved, so I jumped in head first. Good thing I'm a quick learner!

od

TP,

I've only been to the one meeting. As I said, we had a presentation from Todd Vandermyde, the NRA lobbyist assigned to Illinois. He brought us up to date on the happenings in Spngfild and took some questions afterward. Very informative, kinda opened my eyes to some things. We also had a short period of time to talk to Bob F, give him a little input and hear his views.

It isn't going to change the world overnight, is more of an information passing session than any action being done. Had about 5-7 other folks there besides Bob, his aide and Todd. Worth the time, but again, not a meeting of action!

Will be good to have another person involved.

AB

PEORIA COUNTY

Okay, as some of you know, I have volunteered to assist in Peoria County to help get the 2A Res presented and passed by the Peoria County Board. Here's what I am looking for. From what I have notice from comments by other members of this site, and the members of the Macon County Board, along with numerous other people from casual conversation. It is more likely that a county board will listen to the residents of it's own county more readily than resident from other counties. While I do have family in Peoria, I have not been able to get a definite answer as to one of them making the presentation to the PCB. Therefore, as a back up plan, I would like to know who is in Peoria County that may be willing to speak to the Committee and Board when the time comes. This action will be a little ways down the line, but I feel we must start getting our "ducks in a row" soon.

The Peoria County board meets on the second Thursday of every month from 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm. Meetings are held in the County Board Room at the Courthouse on Main Street in downtown Peoria. (Macon County is on the Second Thursday of each month at 7:30 PM at the Macon County Building, room 501). So I may be unable to attend the PCB meetings if the date conflicts with the MCB meeting's date of presentation. So I can at least say that I am not going to be able to direct my total attention to Peoria County until Macon County is finished. With that said, I would like to know that there are people in Peoria County working to gain public support, people contacting their board members and Reps. via email, phone calls, or Snail mail to keep them updated on progress as situations continue to change in other counties. As well as going to unrelated board meetings and doing "meet and greets" with the board members to find out, informally, where they stand so we will know what we are up against.

If anyone lives in Peoria County and wants to help, PM me and let me know what you can do. If you have friends or family in Peoria County, bring them up to date and find out if they will help, then PM me with contact info so I can help ensure we have a game plan in order. Thanks to everyone who has worked so hard in helping us get to where we are, and to those who are continuing to work hard, even after their own county has passed the Resolution.

• 4 weeks later...
Trying again in Kane! I forwarded th 2a info to another county rep. He checked and could find no committee where it is currently on the agenda or being addressed. So He will bring it forward and let me know which committee gets it. So now "hopefully" member Tredup and Noverini are now working on it. I plan on attending the committee of the whole meeting at the end of the month ready, whether it is on the agenda or not!

Yes Molly, I thought it was worth posting as the Blue counties voted liberal

during the last presidential election, but we've also turned some of that blue into green.

The western and southern counties may still have some hunting

and some that are 2A sympathetic such as over by Rock Island.

• 4 weeks later...
Alright Lockman! GO GETTUM!!

Well it is public now. I gave the board a brief explanation of the origins and intent of the resolution, the board now has the information and a constituents desire for them to act on it. I was advised it will go to the legislative committee and the chair of that committee will contact me with further information about times/places etc. and for additional information or materials. I can not report an official "on the agenda" until I confirm with the committee chair Bill Wyatt. I also gave a copy of the resolution and a pro 2A county map to the press.

A typical case of the public speaking nerves and I did not say everything I wanted to get across, but I was told at a pre-board meet with my rep that it would be best to keep it very simple and do not flood them with all the minutia on the introduction. The details will see the full light at the committee meeting. From what I have been advised if it can get out of committee it likely will pass. Elections may mess up the timing for consideration but the two reps I spoke with were confidant it will eventually pass.

Alright Lockman! GO GETTUM!!

Well it is public now. I gave the board a brief explanation of the origins and intent of the resolution, the board now has the information and a constituents desire for them to act on it. I was advised it will got to the legislative committee and the chair of that committee will contact me with further information about times/places etc. and for additional information or materials. I can not report an official "on the agenda" until I confirm with the committee chair Bill Wyatt. I alsogave a copy of the resolution and a pro 2A county map to the press.

A typical case of the public speaking nerves and I did not say everything I wanted to get across, but I was told at a pre-board meet with my rep that it would be best to keep it very simple and do not flood them with all the minutia on the introduction. The details will see the full light at the committee meeting. From what I have been advised if it can get out of committee it likely will pass. Elections may mess up the timing for consideration but the two reps I spoke with were confidant it will eventually pass.

PHENOMENAL! Great work! Please, if there is anything you want input on during these proceedings, don't hesitate to ask here!

I was just questioned/interviewed by the Daily Herald about the Pro 2A resolution. It was about a 5minute conversation. I think something is in the works on a story.

Do you feel they are trying to give it objective coverage because it's "news"...or do you suspect that they are trying to cover it on the hopes that the anti-gun people show up? Those things work both ways....but I always think that "relatively objective" coverage of these issues is better than no coverage.

The questions were all related to how it got started and what groups are pushing it. I hope the she grasped that this was a grass root effort and the answer may differ widely from county to county. I mentioned Illinoiscarry but stated other local groups around the state have picked up on the resolution also. No questions specifically about any specific gun controls or legislation. --as I type I hear a story about 4 to 6 people shot at NIU!

Just got back from the Moultrie Co board that voted 6-2 in favor of the resolution. Been sketchy on the NIU thing, we can't let it get us on the defensive, it happened in a gun free zone with no protection except to duck and run. One well placed CCWer could have stopped it and we have to be bold enough to point that out!!!!

Was questioned at Moultrie county from several angles that I covered in the 2A thread, but one comment made a great impression. One of the dissenters made the comment that it wasn't County business. I countered with the argument that who could better represent the thoughts of the county citizens than county board members. His comment, "I haven't heard one thing about this from any county residents".

Ladies and Gents, I maintain that from here forward on all the counties yet to consider the Res that it is mandatory that county residents propose it to the board. We've tried to do this I know, but we need to insist that some resident take the lead in the rest of the tougher counties. We were lucky in Moultrie in that I did know a couple of the board members and am familiar with the hierarchy in the county i.e. which names to drop in conversation with the other board members. Also, Coach did a great job in laying the groundwork with the Chairlady, getting the res on the board agenda and keeping in contact with her and other members before and during the meetings. We can offer to help, offer to attend the meetings and maybe even make part of the presentation if the resident is more comfortable, but it has to be a county resident's name that makes the initial proposal!

Just my $3.00 worth!!

AB

P. S. - It does offer a great sense of fulfillment and accomplishment when the board chairman says "2A Resolution Adopted!"

Congrats Abolt, good work!

Well folks, after an hour long debate during the Macon County Board meeting, 30 minutes in the Democrat caucus, and 30 minutes in the republican caucus tonight, Macon County is now #68 to pass the Res. 10-9 vote, most who voted against said they did not want to commit to opposing future bills prior to them being written. I had to pull out the Navy and Board members oath tonight, and received applause from the citizens. (ie "i am here because of my oath, you are here to support the same oath...it is OUR duty to ensure we are not forced to loose any more rights.) I pulled the frog in the water bit too, lightened the mood.

The State Attorney's office stated prior to the vote that they were in total support, the Macon County Sheriff did the same. Both are in favor of RTC. Florida non-resident permits came up (by a board member) about Illinois citizens being able to carry in other states, but not here. The Sheriff did add on the RTC issue that he supports the idea, but would like to see additional detail on the training side of the requirements (and he's anti-gun!!). They challenged me with providing a list of current bills thinking I wouldn't have any...THANKS MOLLY! I had a list in my pocket. They said that the Encoded Ammunition bill was ridiculous...I used that to our benefit using the example of a member who is a hunter. "If you go out hunting after this law passes, and you don't pick up your spent shells, and then there's a murder in those woods. Or a body is dumped their, you will automatically become a suspect if your shells are found near the body." :headbang1:

So long and short, Macon goes GREEN after receiving some significant resistance, but because I refused to back down from any of them, the Pro Second Amendment Resolution squeaked by with a 10-9 vote in favor. :headbang1: :Crying. =-(:

I wonder how Peoria is doing????

Tplane....fantastic. Just fantastic! Great discussion. You are a true, freedom-loving and truth-speaking American. I am proud to know you.

And not without a little drama, too. 10-9 is close. Very close.

Congratulations for a job very well done.

Thanks GF, I was nervous up until they counted the votes...and the counted them again and said "yeah, it passed" The Chairman voted against it, but after words he said "That's the glory of Democracy, majority rules." And then he chuckled.

Also, Check out the pro2a website. Peoria Passed 16-0!! MACON, MOULTRIE, AND PEORIA COUNTIES GO GREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!! :Crying. =-(: :headbang1:

This is great news. What effort has been put forth to get these counties, has helped the movement. This is great. If we can get all but a few counties, then we have won a major battle.

I hate to say this but I feel that the shooting at NIU will help our cause. People are starting to open their eyes and seeing that these feel good laws do not work. SIU has put in place some feel good laws to help their students cope with this. However, the only way to prevent this type of crime is to place guns in the classrooms, carried by trained and qualified people. Police that are 15 to 20 seconds away are too late. The gun has to take charge immidiately after the gunman appears with his firearms. Anything taking place after that is too late.

Mac

Ladies and Gents, I maintain that from here forward on all the counties yet to consider the Res that it is mandatory that county residents propose it to the board. We've tried to do this I know, but we need to insist that some resident take the lead in the rest of the tougher counties.

I completely agree. I think some of these reluctant boards will listen a lot more closely to a resident from within the relevant county. I mean no disrespect to the many people who have worked tirelessly on "foreign" counties, but I suspect it is easier for the boards to dismiss an outsider as some paid shill of the gun lobby. I believe the best approach for counties that don't have any active IC members is for us to educate and get this information out so residents can learn what's happening and take the reins.

Archived