School questions 40 students after stabbing - Police investigate possible threat

steveTA84

I am very suspect of this mother. She left out that very important detail about the one student stabbing the other which led to the searching of social media and shooting threats being uncovered. It sounds like she is trying to portray and slant her side to make her son look like just a random victim and got caught up in all of this. I would love to see some screen shots of what her son posted. Also in the FB post, she brings up her "religious" views. A quick look of her FB page shows that she is a proud Agnostic Atheist. So there may be some kernels of truth in her post but I dont think she is telling the whole story or being completely truthful about what happened.

My son attends Leyden West and he showed me FB post a few days ago. It is scary and again thats why I tell him not to post stuff on FB. I would like to hear more about the situation before making a judgement call. These schools aren't messing around these days, they dont want to be responsible if something goes south. If you guys here more about what law they used to take these kids, plz post.

Look at the bigger picture here. 40 kids were targeted, stripped of due process, and treated as if they were criminals. This is alarming. More will come out I hope

Mauser, it was song lyrics. Im hoping some attention brought to it will get the truth out. If what this mother said is the truth.......

One reason the article doesnt go into a super amount of detail

My son attends Leyden West and he showed me FB post a few days ago. It is scary and again thats why I tell him not to post stuff on FB. I would like to hear more about the situation before making a judgement call. These schools aren't messing around these days, they dont want to be responsible if something goes south. If you guys here more about what law they used to take these kids, plz post.

+1

https://abc7chicago.com/shooting-threats-shut-down-2-west-suburban-schools/5571212/

District 212's superintendent said officials thoroughly investigated the social media threat Thursday.

"We've spoken to over 40 students and families and we're getting to the bottom of it. We don't think there's anything credible in there," said Superintendent Nick Polyak.

So the claim is true (40+ students).

Look at the bigger picture here. 40 kids were targeted, stripped of due process, and treated as if they were criminals. This is alarming. More will come out I hope

Mauser, it was song lyrics. Im hoping some attention brought to it will get the truth out. If what this mother said is the truth.......

One reason the article doesnt go into a super amount of detail

Edited by steveTA84, Today, 07:30 PM.

https://abc7chicago.com/shooting-threats-shut-down-2-west-suburban-schools/5571212/

District 212's superintendent said officials thoroughly investigated the social media threat Thursday.

"We've spoken to over 40 students and families and we're getting to the bottom of it. We don't think there's anything credible in there," said Superintendent Nick Polyak.

Edited by steveTA84, Today, 07:37 PM.

Speaking to them isn't a deprivation of rights.

If what was posted on those tweets is accurate, then there are several causes for concern. Having firsthand knowledge of working in the Mental/Behavioral field with minors (10+ years), much of what was listed would not be allowed without some sort of justification or "imminent threat". I can say that no psychiatrist at my facility (or any "downstate" one really) would hospitalize a child if they were not a current risk to themselves or someone else (suicidal ideation 7+ days ago is not current...) and especially not if parents won't consent. Also no one would/should restrain them to get labs done unless it was a medical necessity or emergency. Simply "verifying" medical clearance in an otherwise healthy child does not require labs (especially if they are refusing).

A couple forms that would apply to every MH patient:

http://www.dhs.state.il.us/onenetlibrary/12/documents/Forms/IL462-2001.pdf (Rights of an Individual)

http://www.dhs.state.il.us/onenetlibrary/12/documents/Forms/IL462-2004M.pdf (Documents that a right was restricted and why)

Something seems off about this story. However, I can also say that some Hospitals in the Chicago area are pretty.... bad when it comes to Mental Health treatment. Just my .02

AJ

Edited by steveTA84, Today, 07:37 PM.

Speaking to them isn't a deprivation of rights.

But institutionalizing them is.

Nothing in the news articles mention 40 students being institutionalized. Only the mother cited in the OP says that her son was placed in the hospital for evaluation.

If 40 students were institutionalized from one school, many of the parents would complained to the news media.

Nothing in the news articles mention 40 students being institutionalized. Only the mother cited in the OP says that her son was placed in the hospital for evaluation.

If 40 students were institutionalized from one school, many of the parents would complained to the news media.

A child being taken against the will of the parents (unless a DFCS case) is a big deal though. Article in OP didn’t state anything that can be taken out of context, only reported what was said

If you have anything that was sent out to parents, the FB post in question, etc, please PM me

If you have anything that was sent out to parents, the FB post in question, etc, please PM me

I would like to see that as well.

Stripped of due process?

By contacting their parents.

I’m confused on this one, are WE here passed because there was no one killed or are WE supporting this move?

I’ve read 5 links now and none seem out of line to me.

But then if WE don’t want social media to be a means to deter a tragic event, then maybe we should go back to reacting after the event!

There are Red Flag laws for high school kids?

Where is this stuff coming from?

Yes the one raging parent

But if there were others, like 40 plus you would think someone else would be speaking out

I can’t fathom 40 kids with parents all being yanked out of beds and classes and there is no news about that

One kid stabbed

Another says they don’t want to live

Another said there would be a shooting

Some of the people posting to FB are ex students I assume graduated already

The letter from the school seemed to be the coolest head out there

We as a group sit here day in and day out talks no about how mental health needs to be fixed

How people who need help should get it and sometimes that help will be heaped upon those whom can’t make the decision on getting that help

Close your eyes and see this kid left alone with no help

Now open them to the tragic event and the parents spewing that no one would help him

Damned if you help the mentally ill

Dammed if you don’t help the mentally ill

Pick one, it’s either cake or it’s ice cream but not both!

There are Red Flag laws for high school kids?

Since red flag laws are about seizing firearms, and since "kids" can't own firearms, there are no red flag laws for kids.

In the meantime, 40 kids (identified and determined by police not to be gang-affiliated) posted threats on social media, so the cops are checking them out. Threats are real crimes. Cops should investigate them.

And somebody got stabbed in the neck. And somebody is suicidally depressed. So school administrators shut two schools down for the day to preempt any more neck-stabbing going around.

It's a giant cluster festival. A happy ending is probably impossible. I'm not sure it's more deeply significant than that. I'm just pretty sure there are no firearms (um, yet?) or firearm-related politics involved.

Archived