Chicago Gun Primer - Did I Miss Anything?

firepiper

I've spent all day typing up a summary of the procedre for a firearms newbies from Chicago....

Did I Miss anything? Any additions or deletions? What do you think?

This post is long, but informative.......readers, please share this information with your friends and family....

I've been active in the efforts to get our 2nd amendment rights restored to Illinois citizens. Every level of government has enacted laws regarding the ownership and possession of firearms. Many times, especially in Chicago, they are in conflict and intentionally overbearing and inconvenient in an effort to discourage gun ownership. Even the state is not in compliance with their own law regarding the issuance of FOID cards within 30 days of application.

I'm directing this information towards the Chicago resident new to firearms.....

The first thing you need to do is obtain a Firearm Owners Identification Card - FOID......this is required for you to purchase or possess a firearm and ammunition in the state of Illinois. Illinois gun shops will not even let you touch a firearm without this. Out of state ammunition suppliers may ask for this as well, if you're shipping to your home.

THIS DOES NOT AUTHORIZE CONCEAL AND CARRY!!!

You can complete the application online here, print it and send it in....It costs $10, good for 10 years.

http://www.isp.state...oid/foidapp.cfm

Your only other FOID expense is a passport size picture to send along with the application. The ISP uses this to confirm you are you and will use your DL picture for your FOID. (Just an FYI, there is no restriction on age for applicants. My 5 and 8 year old have FOIDs)

The law requires the ISP to issue or deny your card within 30 days. A recent recording tells you that their current processing time is more than 50 days. If you do not have your FOID within that 30 day time frame, call your State Rep and advise them of the delay and ask them to call on your behalf. You can call ISP yourself as well, but expect a minimum 60 minute wait time.

Once you have your FOID, you can purchase your weapon.

CHICAGO RESIDENTS SHOULD CONSIDER DELAYING THIS PURCHASE UNTIL RECEIVING YOUR CHICAGO FIREARMS PERMIT DUE TO THE 5 DAY REGISTRATION RESTRICTION - MORE INFO ABOUT THIS BELOW

You may choose to patronize a "local" gun shop, but, you can purchase a handgun from anywhere in the country. It must be delivered to you via a Federal Firearm License (FFL) holder. There is usually a fee - anywhere from $20 to $50 - for this service.

Rifles and shotguns may be purchased in IL or any neighboring state (IA, IN, WI, MO, KY) and carried by you back across the state line. Any place beyond the bordering states requires shipment to a FFL as noted above.

In both cases, the FFL holder will verify your FOID before delivery of the weapon to you.

You can also make a private purchase (rifle, shotgun, handgun) from an individual from IL. The seller is required to take your FOID information, weapon information and keep it for 10 years. AGAIN - ALL HANDGUNS FROM OUT OF STATE MUST BE TRANSFERRED THROUGH A FFL HOLDER.

In my opinion EVERYONE should complete some form of firearms safety training.

It is a REQUIREMENT for CHICAGO RESIDENTS to obtain their Chicago Firearms Permit (CFP)....basically a Chicago FOID. The CFP is necessary to LEGALLY own/possess a firearm within the city limits. Not all training meets the City requirements (remember those cumbersome laws I mentioned before) so be sure that your instructor is approved to complete a CFP class.

There are numerous training opportunities out there. The average cost is around $100 - $125

Several can be found at the head of the ISRA forum page

http://illinoiscarry...hp?showforum=13

To comply with the CITY ordinance, you will need to complete a CFP application. They MAY be available at your local police district station (more inconvenience – the desk officer at my local station had no idea if they even had any, or if they could hand them out). A summary of the procedure can be found at the link immediately below – NOTE: THE ADDRESS FOR THE REGISTRATION SECTION HAS CHANGED TO 3510 S MICHIGAN – CPD HQ - IT IS NO LONGER ON KEDZIE!

https://portal.chica...s%20Release.pdf

I'd suggest visiting the website below and reviewing the requirements for submission before visiting Police Headquarters to complete the application, be fingerprinted, and having your vision check (more restrictions and complications).

This, by the way, will cost you another $100 plus the cost of two more passport pictures. There is an online version of the application available, but I have heard that the city will not accept these applications unless they are on the yellow card stock (heavy paper). The CFP is valid for 3 years.

https://portal.chica...%5B1%5D.577.pdf

Once you receive your CFP, to LEGALLY possess your firearm in the city you must register your firearm within 5 DAYS OF PURCHASE and are not permitted to possess the weapon in the city until registered. (Requiring ANOTHER trip to 3510 Michigan) The registration fee is $15 per weapon. You cannot register more than one weapon in a 30 day period. There is some question regarding the registration of previously owned/unregistered weapons as the 90 day grandfather period since the passage of the ordinance in July 2010 has passed.

A copy of the CPD GUN REGISTRATION form can be found at this link. I am unsure if they are accepting paper printed copies, or if they’re requiring it to be on card stock as with the CFP app.

https://portal.chica.../CPD-31.562.pdf

The CHICAGO ORDINANCE has placed more stringent restrictions (conflicting with state law) on where you can have your weapon. Your CFP restricts you to use INSIDE your home, not on your porch, yard or garage. The STATE LAW allows you to carry your weapon anywhere on your property.

Chicago has also placed more restrictions on vehicular transport of your weapon. The CITY requires the weapon to be inoperable (disassembled), in a case, inaccessible, with ammunition separate from the weapon. The STATE requirements are 1) enclosed in a case, 2) unloaded, but ammunition can be in same case 3) by a FOID holder. View the ISP flyer on legal transport below

http://www.isp.state.../docs/1-154.pdf

There are many Chicagoans/Illinoians who are completely oblivious that the other 49 states have some form of Right To Carry a defensive weapon. The only other place with a full restriction on the Right to Carry is Washington DC.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

9 states have “may issue” permits, where an arbitrary procedure is in place to determine if you are issued a carry permit.

40 have “shall issue” forms of RTC permits, including 4 who do not require a permit at all. Florida and Utah issue non-resident permits that are recognized in 30 plus states via reciprocity (some minor variation between the two).

THESE ARE NOT RECOGNIZED IN ILLINOIS - YOU WILL BE ARRESTED AND CHARGED WITH UNLAWFUL USE OF A WEAPON (UUW) IF CAUGHT CARRYING A WEAPON ON YOUR BODY OR UNCASED IN A VEHICLE

If you have had a Hunter Safety class, any NRA Gun Safety class, Armed Security Guard training, Police Training or have firearms training from the US Military you already meet the requirements for a Florida non-resident permit. The cost is $117 and requires you to be fingerprinted by a LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY (NOTE: CHICAGO PD WILL NOT FINGERPRINT YOU FOR THIS)….you can request an application packet here….

http://licgweb.doacs...=CW&STARTPAGE=1

Utah has a similar permit, but you must have received instruction from a Utah approved instructor within six months prior to the application (check with your CFP instructor to see if he is approved in Utah.) The fee as of April 1, 2012 for non-residents is $51. General information is at the link below (NOTE: this web page still reflects the old fee schedule) One passport picture and fingerprints are required here as well (no law enforcement requirement, only a “trained fingerprint technician).

http://publicsafety....i/CFnewapp.html

The actual application can be found here

http://publicsafety..../CFPapp0312.pdf

There are efforts to allow the Right to Carry in Illinois.

On May 5, 2011, House Bill 148 was voted upon in the Illinois legislature. 71 votes were required to pass this bill (a restriction placed by House President Cullerton (D) because it will override home rule provision). It garnered 68 yes votes, with the majority of the 52 No votes coming from Chicago/Cook County. Before the vote became “official” and placed in the house record, the bill was placed in postponed consideration, meaning it can be called any time until the end of the session in December of 2012.

A vote on HB 148 and/or a similar bill HB 5745 is anticipated in the next few weeks. I encourage all your readers to contact their State Rep and demand their support of these bills.

IF passed in the House, the bill then must go to the Illinois Senate for a vote. However, Governor Quinn (D) has vowed to veto the bill.

To get this passed YOU, and all your friends and family need to contact your elected officials and demand the RIGHT TO CARRY in ILLINOIS!

Visit the forums sponsored by the Illinois State Rifle Association frequently to stay on top of the efforts to get RTC in IL.

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/

There is a wealth of information there on training, legislation and legal actions being taken on your behalf in both Illinois and at the national level. Various conversations are updated multiple times a day, visit frequently.

Lastly, the NRA, Second Amendment Foundation and the ISRA are actively pursuing litigation against the City and State for violating your Second Amendment rights…….please consider joining these groups and or making a contribution to their efforts.

"Your only other FOID expense is a passport size picture to send along with the application"

The required photo is 1 1/4 x 1 1/2 . Passport size is 2 x 2. Using a passport photo will cause rejection of the application. Also, they do not always use the DL photo on your FOID. Depends on how recent your DL is.

I notice a couple of things about registering a firearm in Chicago. First, you only have to apply for the firearm registration within 5 days of bringing it into the city, not from 5 days of purchasing it. You can buy a gun and leave it outside of the city as long as you like. Also, you can have it in the city before the registration is approved, you just need to have applied for it. Also, you can mail in the firearm registration, you do not have to go in like you do for the original permit. You do need it on their stationary though, so it is advisable to grab a stack of firearm permits when you go it for your CFP.

You don't need to go to HQ to register a gun. It can be done by mail.

That by extension means that yes you can legally have a gun in Chicago, even if it has not been recognized as registered.

This is what they call a "gray area", but there is no way around it. Even if you go to HQ, it takes weeks to get your registration paper work.

So I have to ask my fellow gun-owners in Chicago, was it easier to register a handgun in the city before the ban or after it was struck down?

Unless your guns were in the city prior to 1981, the answer is clearly "after the ban was struck down".

And don't forget, prior to the SCOTUS, you fail to renew your annual re-registration by 1 day, that gun was now illegal.

So I have to ask my fellow gun-owners in Chicago, was it easier to register a handgun in the city before the ban or after it was struck down?

It was impossible during the ban and possible after...so, yes, infinitely easier.

However, as to long guns, I'd say it is a tad easier...a bit less paperwork. Cheaper in some ways, over time, not counting the cost of the CFP.

It was virtually the same.

Only then, there was no CFP, just registration for the piece. You could do one in about 10 minutes.

I bought my first handgun when I turned 21 in 1970 - still have it in fact - and all it took to register it was stopping by my local police station and getting a simple form to fill out and send in. It was the 'good old days" - heck when I was young you could buy .22 ammo at the local hardware store.

Is the process the same for long guns?

Yes, the only difference is the set of questions they ask (vary whether you are registering a rifle, shotgun or pistol) and also you are limited to one handgun registration per 30 day period.

I would also cut the "extra" stuff on Utah permits, and CCW. Makes the blog post a lot longer than it should be. You want clear, direct, and to the point info on how to legally own a firearm in the city of Chicago.

Jack,

I placed that in there to show people that the out of state option is there. I have family that is CPD and they were completely unaware that the non-resident permits were out there......

I personally have handed Florida applications to better than 50 co-workers. They want to take advantage of the opportunities out there.

I look at it this way, the more people that can call their elected officials and ask "XXXX state recognizes my second amendment rights, why doesn't Illinois" adds to the legitimacy of our fight....

Archived