Reviews of IL CCW Classes- post them here

askoop

Posted · Hidden by Molly B., November 30, 2013 at 03:09 AM - No reason given
Hidden by Molly B., November 30, 2013 at 03:09 AM - No reason given
I mean, heck, we could go this way...

Here is one of the disqualifying situations:

during the range firing portion of testing fails to hit the target with 70% of the rounds fired.

So, according to some here, if someone hit with 100% they should be failed as they clearly did not follow the law.

easy you hit with 70% it doesn't say only.... your clutching at straws.

Loctite/paint pen/regularly check your gear. A gun falling off your belt is unacceptable

It doesn't say hits with 70% or higher does it?

This argument isn't about taking such qualifications now, but to allow such more stringent qualifications to count in the future. Again, some ranges can't service the b27. It would allow for more people to qualify. Why u no want people qualified?

If you can shoot better than required it should count. This should apply to percentage and target size.

Again, I wouldn't do as much until ILSP states they will allow it, but it makes sense.

that's why you teaching makes me nervous there is no common sense in this. Assumptions cannot be made this is a Chicago run state.

Loctite/paint pen/regularly check your gear. A gun falling off your belt is unacceptable

This argument isn't about taking such qualifications now, but to allow such more stringent qualifications to count in the future. Again, some ranges can't service the b27. It would allow for more people to qualify. Why u no want people qualified?

funny story display is not dictated. One friends range folds it. Still a b27a see letter of law. Cause they cannot legally display a 45" target. Is that legal or insure I don't know. Range cannot accommodate a 45" target. That's better.

I am feeling a bit left out here!! No reviews on KAP Guns!! We also are not letting people qualify with .22 and we are using smaller targets. We have had nobody miss a single round yet!! Target size & caliber limitations are our decision and people are told before they pay for the class. When they leave one of our classes they will be proficient drawing from concealment & firing a gun of a caliber sufficient for self defense. We are not out to run as many people through as we can but to make sure the people we do have in our classes leave with the confidence to carry a concealed firearm knowing they were trained at a higher standard than the State requires!

I'm glad you aren't taking their money before you inform them of your decision not to follow the law. Where on your website do you inform your students of your requirements? How is the student to know before driving to your class that you are going to use non-standard targets and requiring them to use pistols of sufficient caliber to meet your standards?

Your approach is risky. But thanks for letting us know so we can advise others to avoid your class.

Before you bring up the "My class, my rules" argument. The law specifies B-27 targets period. I'm not sure what you are teaching but if you aren't using those targets you are not teaching Illinois Conceal Carry live fire qualification.

Did the IL CCW training with WILBERT MARTEL (goes by Bill) here in Jacksonville . We did the 8 hr NRA basic pistol on the 22nd and finished up on the 24th with the last 8 . It was a small class only 5 of us (he likes to keep classes small) very good instructor lot's of great info would defiantly recommended to anyone in the area. Live fire was done at the Sportsman club here in Jacksonville.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c257/smcgath/cb5e844b-ef5d-4217-9ff3-7e06ed81a36d.jpg

Here is one of our shooters, showing this target, after last weekend's class:

1455928_314877995321063_1921396037_n.jpg

Before anyone asks, we did NOT use his kitchen as a shooting range...

Just completed my 8 with pdpsc (Dan) at RKA in Plano.

One word - Awesome. Dan went above and beyond. Thank you!

Just finished my 8hr course with Dan (pdpsc) and Bud!! I must say! D*mn good class. I've been through numerous classes where the instructors had no real life experience with the topics being covered, but this was not one of them. Their knowledge of law, the legal system, and law enforcement allowed them to go above and beyond the required material and gave a real world aspect of concealed carry. I would recommend them to anyone and I most certainly will. Thanks for a fantastic class guys!

Chris

My wife and I took the class with bubbahana and as the above statement says Dan and Bud did a great job. Metro training did a great job and gave us several drills to improve our shooting and ccw skills. One thing that sets these guys apart is between Dan and Bud these guys have real world experience and training. Bud and Dan should also be commended for having great patience with my wife who was not feeling well and beside the basic pistol class has had no formal training. Dan also took his time to help my wife use her Glock in a more proficient manner. Metro Training is highly recommended.

Good to know. I'll be with them this Friday evening and the next!

What I don't understand is why a certified instructor would go on a public forum to flaunt his lack of respect for potential students and the CCW law by restricting the type of firearm that the student can use and by making them use a smaller target than the one proscribed by the law. Reading something into the law that isn't there and eliminating potential students makes absolutely no sense.

I think a rider that says that state requirements and minimum and individual instructors are free to make their own requirements more strict would clear up alot of the bickering from one instructor to the next, and would prevent alot of the "Scared" instructors, such as myself who think Illinois is out to get them, from being so paranoid. Then the market would sort out the rest.

I generally would have no problems if people make it stringent, but this whole debacle reminds me of what happened to NFATCA and NFA CLEO sign off issue.

I can definitely see the concerns of both sides within the same group, but remember that any action we do to complicate stuff now *might* have adverse effects later on. Remember that we're in Illinois, guys. Our battles have just begun, and we don't need our opponent's going napoleon (props if you get this!) on us.

We should probably get back to the original topic or start a new thread altogether regarding this new topic.

A few "reviews" of one of our classes that were posted in a different thread on this forum:

A great day in the classroom was had by all. Instructor did a outstanding job of presenting the material in a orderly manner without it being boring. I'm very much looking forward to "Range Day".

Had ICC class in Morton this week end class room was great and fine trainers. To range on Sunday they had a nice layout at range and very safe. I would recommend this class and trainers to everybody in the Peoria area. They do a fine job.

A little late to post up, but the class certainly deserves recognition.

Nick's communication prior to the class was always very fast in response and he never had any issue answering questions.

I convinced my girlfriend the night before the class to take the course with me and they were very accomodative in getting her in the class on short notice. The primary focus of the class was always safety and the instructors did an excellent job practicing what they preach when it comes to the basic safety principles. The instructors kept the class interesting and certainly did not mind answering questions. The instructors certainly enjoy teaching others and answering questions so we did run over on time on occasion, but no one minded as we all had quite a few questions in regards to CC. During the range session, they did a good job of maintaining a safe environment and being professional at all times.

My girlfriend was the only female in the class and had no prior experience with handguns. She was incredibly satisfied with the course and the instructors. She was able to learn a great amount from the class and felt very safe at the range. The instructors even took the time in class to discuss carry options for her specifically and worked to make her more proficient while at the range. She truly enjoyed the experience and passed on a recommendation to alot of her friends and family to take their course. Because of her positive experience her in this course, she has come to enjoy shooting and looks forward to each time we go to the range.

Thanks for an informative class and enjoyable experience!

I participated in the Buffalo Range's full 16 hour class this weekend as well. I second Karnage's thoughts that it went very well and was pretty hands on for parts of it.

3-4 (4 of them on the first day) actual local, pro 2nd amendment police officers run the training company that put it on. They included Illinois Carry's curriculum, a video by Massad Ayoob, a review of Jeff Cooper's principles of self defense, lots of police based interaction stories and information, lots of safety training, malfunction drills while in a higher stress environment, 5 n 5 reloads during the 10/10/10 range qualifications, drawing from a holster and reholstering, etc. They did a good job, I came away with several things to improve on immediately within my skill set. I qualified with my HK P9s. Saw lots of 22s but also Glocks, I believe one gentleman had a HK P7 of some sort.

A very good class and I now plan on looking into their other classes they plan on putting on such as defensive pistol, etc. I was sitting in the back right area both days. The class was just 180 bucks for the full 16 hours. Less that 50 bucks per 4 hours. Well worth it, local for me, and I got to help support a local training company with my dollars in return for the excellent two days of training.

wish folks would quit piddling in this thread so that it could remain a resource for finding GOOD instruction....

This a thread for both good and bad instructors. Some of want to know if an instructor is following the law or not.

I think this review gives a good overview of the experience in our course.

I took the Top Shot Academy class this past weekend. Chip and Jullian (Tony and Michelle too) were really great and made the class both educational and entertaining. The attention to detail and especially safety was extremely impressive. These guys won't even point finger guns at anyone. Its obvious that Chip and Jullian have been working together for a long time as you can not stage a presentation like theirs, it has to happen naturally. Since I already have a Utah CCL and had taken BP years ago I could have skipped day one and taken only the required second 8 hours. Instead I decided to take the full 16 hours and I was glad I did. I was surprised how much I learned (and relearned) on Saturday. The SIRT exercises alone make this program worthwhile. Having my fingerprints and photo taken during the day was a real convenience. When you consider the cost of fingerprinting and the photo plus the range time for the cert shooting and then add in the SIRT training this program (its more than just a class, its a full firearms training program) is well worth the cost. I would rate this program a 10 and recommend Chip/Jullian and Top Shot Academy to anyone looking to obtain their Illinois CCL or just wanting to improve their marksmanship skills.

PS: The donuts on Sunday morning were great, not your standard Dunkin donuts.

I did mine with Red Dot Arms in Lake Villa. The primary instructor is Robb Briggs. For his full-time job he is a senior instructor for "the largets law enforcement agency in Lake County". I think he is prohibited from saying who, although he did in a class I had with him earlier. He is also a paramedic.

I have taken PPOTH and PPITH with him as well.

His instructions is outstanding. We did 4 hours of range time for the CCW and shot over 100 rounds through numerous drills before the qualification.

Every class he takes time with each student individually to refine all aspects of grip, stance. I get better every time. I have spent around 20 hours class range time with him in an outdoor range they use and shot around 800 rounds.

Detail, repetition, safety are the best words for his method. I cannot rave enough.

I did it!

Did my final 8 with Larry Morse and Mike Corkran of Heartland Training, class through John A. Logan College, downstate in Williamson County. I had done Basic Pistol with them in the past. They made it a good experience but it sure is a long day, and those poor fellows are doing it five days straight this week.

I'd like to make an observation just based on one day's experience in a well run class, not as an instructor with a stake in attracting students. A student who cannot achieve 70% on this target, at these distances, will probably display other deficiencies that will lead capable trainers like Larry & Mike to pull them off the line and suggest additional training or other adjustments before they go through the agony of defeat or pass when they should not. I don't think we need to be tempting the legislature to impose any stricter mandatory requirements. We need less restrictions on our 2A rights, not more.

I wasn't the star pupil but still was able to achieve 100%, with a firearm that isn't ever going to be fun for target practice but is capable of being concealed and getting the job done if necessary.

Larry & Mike are excellent instructors, IMO. I think I've had a half-dozen classes from them, and I've worked RSO for them a couple times. Talented, organized, honest, skilled.

Yep, I can't imagine anyone could do any better. There were several firearms instructors and competition shooters taking the class from them. That's a pretty good recommendation.

Yesterday I did my second 8 with "OCC Firearm Training Center"out of Kankakee. Tina Odle,Brian Buchanan,Ray Odle all excellent conceal carry instructors,in my laymen's opinion.I will use them again for any future training I need.Iplan on giving out their business card to my friends. Dedicated people like these three deserve our support.Profit made from my class is going to firearms ed of youth.Makes me feel good about the whole deal. For you B27 Annie Oakleys out there.One of our best 30 round shot groups was owned by an 85 year old gentleman,you could almost cover it with a dollar bill. Brothers,never forgotten!

Archived