If you let your FOID expire, you’re an “irresponsible gun owner”

steveTA84

https://foxillinois.com/news/local/revoked-foid-card-leads-to-arrest

URBANA, Ill. (WICS/WCCU) Whats in your wallet could land you behind bars as that was the case last weekend in Urbana.

According to a University of Illinois Police report, 24-year-old Cameron Land was arrested for being in possession of a revoked Firearm Owners Identification Card (FOID).

Land didnt have a gun on him, but hanging on to a revoked permit is enough for a misdemeanor charge.

Fox Illinois met with Illinois State Police Trooper Mindy Carroll on Wednesday for a refresher on FOID card rules and responsibilities.

Carroll explained the FOID card itself is a pocket-sized piece of plastic that has the power to put someone behind bars if misused.

If a FOID card is revoked, the person must surrender their firearms and the permit within 48 hours.

The FOID card in it of itself has to be returned, Carroll said. There is a form if for whatever reason theyve lost that, then theyll have to turn that into the police department.

Carrying a revoked FOID card without a gun is a Class A misdemeanor an offense law enforcement doesnt take lightly.

"They could be considered a danger to society, which is why their FOID card is revoked, Carroll said. So it's important for us to track that."

If a FOID card is expired, not revoked, the person will likely get by with a warning.

Carroll said an expired FOID card may indicate an irresponsible gun owner.

"It shows the responsibility of the owner, Carroll said. "If they're going to let their card expire, then how responsible are they? It's just like letting their driver's license expire."

Hear that everyone? If you dont pay the tax to own firearms, youre an irresponsible gun owner. Its the same as a drivers license!......

MAY indicate an irresponsible gun owner they say!

IF just expired they likely will get a warning!

The lad in question was in possession of a revoked FOID, a class A misdemeanor.

No mention about paying a tax to purchase or own a firearm......

Again it doesn’t say YOU ARE, it clearly states YOU MAY be an irresponsible gun owner!

Why the sensationalism and the change of words?

Again it doesnt say YOU ARE, it clearly states YOU MAY be an irresponsible gun owner!

Defensive much?

it shows the responsibility of the gun owner. If theyre going to let their card expire, then how responsible are they

rmrbS1Z.jpg

Seems you support the FOID by defending this stuff

https://foxillinois.com/news/local/revoked-foid-card-leads-to-arrest

URBANA, Ill. (WICS/WCCU) Whats in your wallet could land you behind bars as that was the case last weekend in Urbana.

According to a University of Illinois Police report, 24-year-old Cameron Land was arrested for being in possession of a revoked Firearm Owners Identification Card (FOID).

Land didnt have a gun on him, but hanging on to a revoked permit is enough for a misdemeanor charge.

Fox Illinois met with Illinois State Police Trooper Mindy Carroll on Wednesday for a refresher on FOID card rules and responsibilities.

Carroll explained the FOID card itself is a pocket-sized piece of plastic that has the power to put someone behind bars if misused.

If a FOID card is revoked, the person must surrender their firearms and the permit within 48 hours.

The FOID card in it of itself has to be returned, Carroll said. There is a form if for whatever reason theyve lost that, then theyll have to turn that into the police department.

Carrying a revoked FOID card without a gun is a Class A misdemeanor an offense law enforcement doesnt take lightly.

"They could be considered a danger to society, which is why their FOID card is revoked, Carroll said. So it's important for us to track that."

If a FOID card is expired, not revoked, the person will likely get by with a warning.

"It shows the responsibility of the owner, Carroll said. "If they're going to let their card expire, then how responsible are they? It's just like letting their driver's license expire."

Hear that everyone? If you dont pay the tax to own firearms, youre an irresponsible gun owner. Its the same as a drivers license!......

Fighting to repeal the FOID Act is a good fight. It's a fight we are actively engaged in.

Fighting to be able ignore the FOID Act while it is still existing law wouldn't be a winning strategy.

Changing words to fit a narrative looks like, smells like and I would guess then it is exactly what the left does.....

My defensive as you say position is that we know what the law says already, and another article placing that information out there is a good thing.

No, I’m not a must have FOID supporter, I’m letting the courts handle that!

But if inflaming those who read and don’t happen to see your word changing, they need to know that no one called them irresponsible gun owners. They said and you quoted that they MAY be irresponsible.

One can state that someone MAY be a troll, but then to say that they were called a troll would be incorrect reporting!

Again it doesnt say YOU ARE, it clearly states YOU MAY be an irresponsible gun owner!

Defensive much?

it shows the responsibility of the gun owner. If theyre going to let their card expire, then how responsible are they

rmrbS1Z.jpg

Seems you support the FOID by defending this stuff

Edited by steveTA84, Today, 09:56 AM.

It's accurate to say renewing one's FOID Card is the responsibility of the FOID Card holder, and only the FOID Card holder. It's simply a statement of fact.

Changing words to fit a narrative looks like, smells like and I would guess then it is exactly what the left does.....

My defensive as you say position is that we know what the law says already, and another article placing that information out there is a good thing.

No, I’m not a must have FOID supporter, I’m letting the courts handle that!

But if inflaming those who read and don’t happen to see your word changing, they need to know that no one called them irresponsible gun owners. They said and you quoted that they MAY be irresponsible.

One can state that someone MAY be a troll, but then to say that they were called a troll would be incorrect reporting!

I didn’t change any words in the article.

The ISP Rep didn’t use the word “may”, the media did......

It is Mauserme, that’s not the point

The point is the antis use the term “we support responsible gun ownership”, which translates to supporting their gun control ideas. The ISP is stating that if you don’t renew your FOID (which yes, is current law) you are showing them that you’re not a responsible gun owner. Does having or not having an up to date FOID determine how you handle firearms and how safe with them you are?

You are correct Steve

Carroll said it MAY INDICATE an irresponsible gun owner.

It shows the responsibility of the gun owner, Carroll said.

But you then state “ Hear that everyone? If you dont pay the tax to own firearms, you're an irresponsible gun owner? Its the same as a drivers license!......

It’s not the article Steve, it’s you changing the words to indicate that “hey everyone you’re an irresponsible gun owner.

You are correct Steve

Carroll said it MAY INDICATE an irresponsible gun owner.

It shows the responsibility of the gun owner, Carroll said.

But you then state Hear that everyone? If you dont pay the tax to own firearms, you're an irresponsible gun owner? Its the same as a drivers license!......

Its not the article Steve, its you changing the words to indicate that hey everyone youre an irresponsible gun owner.

Willing to let your FOID expire and see how youll be labeled? Last I recall a kid was accidentally shot by LEO in part due to someone having an expired FOID. Darn irresponsible of him (the suspect (now cleared), not the cop with his finger on the trigger).......

Once again, I didnt change any words

How about the ISP being responsible and sending out notices sufficiently in advance of cards expiring, running an effective customer service and processing applications in timely manner as prescribed by law?

AGREED!!

See what happens when other members add to the conversation/post instead of trashing others on certain things that weren’t done a certain way?

How can we get the ball rolling on this?

How about the ISP being responsible and sending out notices sufficiently in advance of cards expiring, running an effective customer service and processing applications in timely manner as prescribed by law?

BINGO!!!

Thread Winner!!!!

IRRESPONSIBLE L.E. Agency.

If they do it, it's excusable, if WE do it, it's irresponsible and a chargeable crime.

BTW, IF their crime is self-documenting, let's start taking advantage of that. BE that stone in their shoe.....

I have no problem with the quote in the original article.

Not to state the obvious, but everyone on this forum has access to a computer of some type (cell phone, tablet, PC, Mac, etc), therefore has access to any number of calendars, apps, etc. which are fully capable of sending you whatever kind of reminder you prefer, be it email, text message, notification popup on your phone, etc. There's no reason these days for anyone here to forget to renew something, whether it's your FOID, CCL, DL, IC Supporting Membership, etc.

So assuming everyone here wishes to remain a law abiding gun owner (and it is, in fact, your responsibility to ensure that you remain that way), if you fail to renew your FOID (because you forgot), then I would agree... you are an irresponsible gun owner.

Not to state the obvious, but everyone on this forum has access to a computer of some type (cell phone, tablet, PC, Mac, etc), therefore has access to any number of calendars, apps, etc. which are fully capable of sending you whatever kind of reminder you prefer, be it email, text message, notification popup on your phone, etc. There's no reason these days for anyone here to forget to renew something, whether it's your FOID, CCL, DL, IC Supporting Membership, etc.

So assuming everyone here wishes to remain a law abiding gun owner (and it is, in fact, your responsibility to ensure that you remain that way), if you fail to renew your FOID (because you forgot), then I would agree... you are an irresponsible gun owner.

FOID is only IL law. It has nothing to do with being safe with firearms (mishandling them or being irresponsible with them in which misuse could cause harm). The only thing irresponsible about it is not giving the state your $20 in order to exercise your privilege (because rights don’t cost anything).

FOID is only IL law. It has nothing to do with being safe with firearms (mishandling them or being irresponsible with them in which misuse could cause harm). The only thing irresponsible about it is not giving the state your $20 in order to exercise your privilege (because rights don’t cost anything).

I said nothing about being safe (or unsafe) with firearms.

And as law abiding, Illinois gun owners, my statement stands as written.

I got a renewal 3 months before expiration back in December.

I know a few that have posted getting them, but others who have not. Seems like something that should be automated and straight forward, not hit or miss...some get them, some do not. But this isnt the only thing screwed up with their processes as we know.

What a great way to make people stop applying for the FOID and just ignoring the requirement altogether...

The state simply can't get their ish together. I know 2 people with valid FOID cards AND a medical cannabis license.

I'm not worried about it, my Glock now self identifies as 30oz of marijuana so starting January 1st, I won't need a FOID card.

lol better stay a Glock 'till 1/1

Wait a second.............

Since firearms can be used as pipes, perhaps all firearms are not firearms, but “marijuana smoking devices”?.......

What? You've never been to a party where people were "shotgunning" a bowl? lol

https://youtu.be/l_mcFEMNAi4

I got a renewal 3 months before expiration back in December.

I guess it's time for me to get on top of renew as mine expires in three months.

I think you mean "you are an irresponsible FOID owner"

Just because I have some expired piece of government plastic that I have to pay for in order to exercise my Constitutional rights, that doesn't make me an irresponsible firearm owner. In fact, I'm quite responsible with all of my firearms.

Archived